AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can tell by my post count, I'm no newbie here, but I am a complete newbie when it comes to "Bass Shakers".

Where can I learn all that I need to know about them (what I need, how to set them up, etc.) in basic, non-electrician terms? Such as, "Why do I need a second amp?", etc.

Thanks so much,

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Markito,

As an experienced member, you should know that a simple search for 'bass shakers' is going to give you PLENTY of reading material. :D

As for the specific question as to why you need a second amp... Bass shakers work on the same LFE output as a subwoofer (the majority of the time). And as such, you'd need some type of amp to drive the shakers.

BTW, if there are any specific questions that you can't answer with a search, check back in and let me know... I'll be glad to answer.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch!

Shudda' known. :(:D

Just wondered if there was an FAQ for dummies somewhere, or something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i'll help you out cause sometimes i don't feel like searching either. Bass shakes need something to power them, it can be an amp or a second reciever. I had an old reciever laying around so i used that. I just split the subwoofer output with a "Y" adapter and ran the one side to my sub and the other to the second reciever. Now the second reciever gets the signal that the sub is getting. I just turn the 2nd reciever on and set it to whatever input i ran the adapter into and adjust the volume till i can feel the shaking that i want. They are really cool and really add to the expirience. They just shake your chair, or whatever you hook them to when the bass hits. Great addition to any home theater, and they are very cheap. I got mine for $30 per pair.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool. Thanks so much Tom.

I guess the other part I am confused about is the wire from the 2nd amp/receiver to the Bass Shakers. Is it just normal speaker wiring and I do it just like any speaker?

·
Registered
582 Posts
This same question was my stumbling block as well. Use an RG6U or RCA cable from the Y splitter into your LFE of Second receiver then from their use speaker wire from the LFE of the second receiver to goto the shakers. The second receiver is just there to dial in how much shaking they do.

We just Y connected the LFE output One to Subwoofer, the other to Plate amp. The mono plate amp simply does what the recever was doing but cost me about $50.00 from my local busters or second hand dave store. The next question is how many shakers do you want to install and which brand. As you will need to figure out hw many ohms per shaker etc. your reciever (We used a mono block plate amp home built) will be outputting.

We used the Aura 25 WATT shakers and wired them (in Series) into our Berklines...WOW night and Day. Members of the forum came over and saw the shakers, and asked why I hadn't put them in. I was embarrassed to tell them I had no idea how:) somniplex, Scott Kuchma, and Eric Chong where a great help as well as other members of the forum. When I finally got around to putting them in, they were right!!

use this link for more wiring info

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=requis

By Far the biggest single impact on our Home theater and for $25 a pair the least expensive. This is the best bang for your buck :)

Requis

Its all about having fun

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
To add bass shakers to your home theater system, they need to be powered by an amplifier and receive the same signal as your powered subwoofer. Bass Shakers as known from Aura Sound the leaders are now made by others like Buttkicker and are "tactile transducers". They are like a speaker with no cone. They add the "feel" to bass. I would use at least one conventional subwoofer with Bass Shakers.

Here's how you add bass shakers to your home theater system:

Find the variable low-level RCA output for the subwoofer (LFE) channel on the rear panel of your AV receiver and disconnect the cable going to your powered subwoofer.

Connect a RCA Y-cable to the subwoofer output on your receiver.

Connect the cable from your subwoofer to one end of the Y-cable.

Connect a cable to the remaining unused end of the Y-cable to an input on the amplifier being used to power the shakers.

Connect the shakers to the output of the amplifier.

Set the relative level of the shakers by adjusting the volume control on the amplifier driving them.

www.partexpress.com has info on Bass Shakers
www.aurasound.com had info on them as well.

The forum has a lot of threads discussing mounting Shakers for best effects, wiring for multiple shakers and modifying shakers for better performance.

http://www.aurasound.com/bassshaker/...installdia.gif

·
Registered
316 Posts
There are several brands of "tactile transducers" (to use the most generic term).

Check out http://clarksynthesis.com/
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/
http://crowsontech.com

and http://www.aurasound.com/

The Buttkickers are the bruts with the most power and lowest frequency response, but they are too large to fit in some furnature. The Auras are the cheapest, lowest power units. The Clarks have good power and aren't too big. I use a Clark Platinum and recommend it. The Crowson units are the easiest to install, but they are very new so I haven't read much about them.

Also check out: http://www.baudline.com/~erik/bass/tactile_faq.html

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Regarding the type of wire runs to the shakers, that depends on what shakers you have. I've got the 25w Auras, and they just have bare terminals that you have to secure your wires to. The 50w Auras have RCA terminals on them.

For me, I Y'd my sub line, and picked up a small amp from Rat Shack. The sub line runs to the input there, and then outputs to the shakers. I bought a long length of speaker wire with RCA cables already on them - cut off the unneeded end of each speaker wire - the remaining RCA for each couch connects to the output of the amp, and then they're wired to the shakers in series.

This layout is the same for both channels - one channel to each couch, 2 shakers per channel.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by MrSquid
...I picked up a small amp from Rat Shack.
Which model? Got a sku number or link or anything?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the very helpful info guys!

Now, what do you guys do to get the wires to your furniture?

In other words, I have a sectional in the middle of the room and my equip. rack is along the wall. I'd rather not have wires going from the wall to the center of the room.

I have burber carpeting in there. Would it be horrible to poke a tiny hole in the carpet under the sectionaland have the wires come up through there?

Is this a big fire hazard? Would it ruin and begin to unravel my carpet?

What do you all do?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Markito
Which model? Goto a sku number or link or anything?

Thanks.
It's the RCA SA-155 mini stereo amp (item #31-5000) from Radio Shack. Works slick - just wish it had an auto on/off. I usually notice sometime the next day that it's still turned on.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info guys!

So if I need to get/use 3 pair of Bass Shakers, do I need an amp that has output for 3 pairs of speakers?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
No, I think what I'd do with 3 pr. is to just get a 2-ch 100w amp, and wire the speakers as two sets of 3-in-series... I think that this gives you about a 12 ohm load on each channel of the amp. (You may have to Y your sub input again.)

Good Luck

·
Registered
582 Posts
Markito,

there was a post not long ago in the speaker forum discussing a new type of Ribbon or thin speaker cable that was laid out flat that was very effective. This would probably work best as it would not create any bumps for your carpeting and would therefor prevent the eventual trip and bump. You would be surprised at what people can trip on when not expecting even the smallest rise in the carpet.

Here is a link.

Good Luck,

Requis

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAY02/E...uip3MAY02.html

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, but I am still wondering if it would be horrible to poke a tiny hole in the carpet under the sectional and have the wires come up through there? Is this a big fire hazard? Would it ruin and begin to unravel my burber carpet?

What do you all do?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Speaker wires under the carpet - not enough amperage to create enough heat to be a fire hazard.

Holes in the carpet - carpet is pretty tough. I don't imagine it will unravel. You will have a challenge getting the wire under the carpet. Try an electrician's fish tape.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.