AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm building my HTPC for HD movies (720/1080p), Music server, and to record TV shows (I'm a bit confused about this so please see comments below on this).

Here is my setup:

$ 0.00 - Already have Micro ATX case with power supply

$ 65.99 - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E5200

$124.00 - ASUS P5Q-EM LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

$ 26.99 - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1A16K

$ 89.99 - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

$ 43.99 - AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner (A188 - White Box) MTVHDDUWB PCI-Express x1 Interface

$ 22.99 - Anyware GP-IR01BK Windows Vista Infrared MCE Black Remote Control

Total $359

So my confusion is whether all TV is now digital or not. Some people even in recent posts was saying that the downside to the AverMedia card is that it's a dual digital tuner, no analog. But didn't all tv switch to digital?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i dont have one but i read some recent post where some were saying the 5200 is a little underpowered for integrated graphics.

i have a core 2 duo with integrated and its fine, maybe someone else can chime in.

about tv, all OTA signals are digital, but you can still get analog through the cable co.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing any opinions on the 5200 then. Def don't want anything underpowered.

For the TV, I do not have cable service or a cable box, but just plug my tv right now directly and get the basic channels which many are in HD. Are these all digital channels? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just want to make sure for my simple application of TV tuner, I will be able to watch tv and schedule/record shows.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The 5200 should be more than sufficient for anything HTPC related. It'splenty fast enough to decode any media you're likely to run across in software, even if you don't have any hardware decoding in your GPU.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/16957822

The 5200 should be more than sufficient for anything HTPC related. It'splenty fast enough to decode any media you're likely to run across in software, even if you don't have any hardware decoding in your GPU.

im just going by what im reading, if the prices are close you be better off with a core 2 duo. the integrated graphics are fine you can always upgrade that later for little cost. it will future proof you a bit.

if you are getting the tv from your cable then you are getting QAM, the unencrypted cable channels. i dont know what OS you plan to use but vista wont cut it, it cant do QAM, it will get you OTA ASTC signals just fine, but you will need win7 or some other dvr software to get QAM.

you obviously don't have a filter on your line so what ever you do, dont change any service with the cable co unless you plan to subscribe.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/16957886

im just going by what im reading, if the prices are close you be better off with a core 2 duo.

The only difference between a 5200 (dual core pentium) and a 7200 (core 2 duo) is that the 7200 has a bit more L2 cache and a faster FSB. They're built on identical cores. Actual performance increase for basic HTPC tasks would not be that impressive, and they cost almost twice as much as the 5200.

We're still only talking about a $50-60 price difference, so spend the extra money if you want to. The only point I'm trying to make is that you do not have to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. If the current CPU selection will work fine, I rather stick with it for cost reasons.

Now for the tv/tuner, yes, I was going to run Windows Vista. I guess I won't be able to get reception though from what you say? Until Windows 7 comes out, is there some other DVR software I can get to watch/record tv in the meantime?

Really appreciate the comments guys.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmw /forum/post/16958753

Thanks for all the replies. If the current CPU selection will work fine, I rather stick with it for cost reasons.

Now for the tv/tuner, yes, I was going to run Windows Vista. I guess I won't be able to get reception though from what you say? Until Windows 7 comes out, is there some other DVR software I can get to watch/record tv in the meantime?

Really appreciate the comments guys.

if you hurry you can still download win7 rc and use that until until the official release.

win7 mc dvr is fantastic. never misses recordings, has great options. some people swear by media portal, but i don't get the appeal, i mean if you want hardware acceleration and with your specs you don't, then yeah, but that to me is the only reason. 7MC is much more polished and has a more fine tuned feel to it. you could use sagetv, but you have to pay an additional fee for it on top of windows.

you will have some problem with the qam setup, unfortunately its not all that intuitive and will require some retrys, but its not impossible, we can help you through it though. don't let me scare you, worst part is it takes time to scan through the hundreds of channels so if you mess up you have to do it all over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok great. Thanks, I downloaded win7. So I guess I will stick to the above and order it. Price wise, does everything look good?

For cables, I should get an HDMI (for video), and SPDIF audio cable to go to my stereo (since my stereo doesn't have HDMI input)? My stereo does has component video input though...

·
Registered
261 Posts
For cables, go to Monoprice.com. They have some of the best deals on the internet for cables.

For instance, you can get a 12ft HDMI cable for $5. At best buy, a 12ft HDMI cable is $30.

BTW, the build looks fine. The only thing I'd really suggest altering is the Capture Card.

I found this on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116010

It's a Hauppauge HVR 1600. It has inputs for cable, antenna, and FM. It also has inputs from S-video and stereo audio for recording from Set Top Boxes. It also comes with the remote. So for about $20 extra you get a lot more functionality and expandability.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I own the 2250 and it's an excellent card! It comes with an additional expansion bay strip for even more recording possibilities.

Thumbs up on the 2250! I understand the draw of saving money, but overall this card will serve you much better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. So what really though is the advantage of the 2250 Hauppauge over the Duet? I can get the Duet for $43, compared to 2250 Hauppauge at $112. It's a big price difference and both are dual digital tv tuners.

Will windows vista be able to record my qam signal if i used the 2250?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on the tuner? I don't mind getting the 2250 if it has def reasons for picking it over the Duet. But I'd like to know before just spending $70 extra...

Thanks...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bought two Duets for quad tuners and I have been happy with them. I am not that knowledgeable about the various tuners though so I don't know the benefits. I am using them in a Win 7 machine and they worked out of the box for me for clearqam since win 7 added clearqam support.

Where are they $43 right now?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.