AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im using a progresive scan dvd player, 9a62 transcoder, component video outputs, and an lcd projector. The projector is set to its proper rgb mode and the dvd is set to the proper prog. scan mode to accept this type of setup. When the picture is displayed on the screen it starts out really small, so I have to resize it with the projectors screen size adjustment on the lense to fill the screen. PROBLEM---The lens is maxed out so much, that I loose picture quality due to the picture using less pixels and the ones that are used are magnafied (the atari effect). In the past when I used s-video connections, the picture started out large on the screen and because the pixels were not magnafied/maxed out and more used, the picture looked sharper. Now with the new setup a larger portion of black bars or halo around the screen appears and even though the picture is shaper it doesnt appear so because of the larger pixel size with less used. Any picture improvement is kind of cancelled out because of this. POSSIBLE SOLUTION--Is it my dvd player (jvc xv-s500bk) having some sizing issues because its not ideally compatable to the equiptment Im using? Should I try another brand of dvd player in hopes that the picture will start out larger??? I was thinking of trying the panasonic rp-62 next. This is driving me nuts!

:confused:

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Maybe something on your projector is making it show as 1:1 to the pixel/image. Since the DVD outputs a 480p signal, maybe the projector is showing it only on 480 x 853 of the available pixels. I seem to remember a setting on my Sony 10HT that allows you to do 1:1 mapping (don't ever want to use it, but.....).

Check the projectors settings. You don't say which projector either.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott thanks for the reply, Im using a poloroid pv 215 its just a data projector not really designed for home theater, but it does the job and Im satisfied, or was before I tried to improve the picture quality with a prog scan player and transcoder. The only internal menu sizing adjustments that can be accessed in rgb input mode are 1.vertical pos. 2. horizontal pos. 3. horizontal size 4. phase control. As I said before the size was fine when using s-video. I'll add that when the start menu on a dvd disc comes up with this set up it is much larger in proportion to the actual movie. Ill adjust the movie to fit the screen, then if I go back to the start menu, the menu will now be larger than the screen. When using s-video I didnt have this problem either.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Maybe it is that same setting I was mentioning, but it is within the DVD player. At this point, I don't know. My best and easiest reccomendation is to go back to your old DVD player.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im kind of a newbie and theres some terminology im not familiar with. What do you meen by 1:1. Also 480p, thats horizontal lines right? If so what is the proper # of vertical lines to go with the 480p? Its kind of funny, Ive bought and retuned 3 dvd players because of various problems Ive noticed after reading this forum. Right now Im using my old interlaced toshiba, but my next victim will be a panasonic rp-62. Hopefully this will be the last. Any suggestions? What player are you using?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I am using the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 coupled with my Sony VPL-VW10HT projector.

For interlaced DVD players, the output is 480i, for progressive scan, it is 480p. HDTV is typically either 720p or 1080i. Interlaced is where the signal is sent with lines of resolution from the top, skipping every other and then from the bottom as well, with the lines overlapping and filling each other in. Something like that. Progressive scan does not alternate, but rather paints the complete screen in one shot, then repaints the whole screen again....

When I am saying 1:1, I mean that your signal is 480 lines progressive, so your projector is only using 480 pixels high, by 853 pixels wide (16x9 ratio). Projectors have line scalers built in, so that they take the 480 signal and then scale it to fit the output of the projector. So, my projector takes the signal and scales it from 480p to 768p, since my native resolution of the Sony is 768 x 1366.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.