AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy now, so please help.

I am STRONGLY leaning towards the samsung LN-S4695D Verses the Sony KDL46XBR2.

I can gat the Samsung for $2399 + tax.

I can get the Sony for $3099 + Tax.

I am aware of the problems associated with the Sony and that scares me!

BUT, the ONLY reason I am still considering the sony is because the picture
in the store looks better then the samsung!

Is this because of the feed OR Does the sony have a better picture???

So My only concern is that the Sonys' PQ is better???

True or false, and do you think it was only the feed that was better???

·
Registered
112 Posts
Most people agree that Sony has better PQ,

however, the clouding is the ultimate downfall of Sony.

A lot of people are happy with Samsung in this forum.

You need to be aware that Samsung does overscan on 1080P, so if you use PC or HTPC, this may be an issue.

Also, 4696D has cablecard slot.

I was choosing between the 4696D & Mitsu 46231.

I like the looks of 4696D & overscan was not an issue,

but I got sold on TV Guide of Mitsu since I planned to use cablecard.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb-nuts007 /forum/post/0

Thanks for the input!

What is overscan?

What ic PC and HTPC Mean?

PC: personal computer

HTPC: home theather personal computer

If you Do Not plan to use this LCD TV as computer monitor, then overscan should not be a big issue. Overscan basically zooms in the image you are watching because of many times the edges on TV signal is not clean.

Imagine your TV with a picture, but all 4 egdes (say like 1 - 2%) are not sharp or clear as rest of the picture. Therefore, lots of TV manufacturers chop some of their edges off (1 - 2%), then it blows the rest of the picture to fill in the whole TV. Normall you don't notice anything until you hook it up to PC and your Windows START Menu is chopped in half. ---> This is what people are seeing when they hook up the Samsung to their PC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The display panels of both sets in question are made side by side in the same factory. Given my less than impressive experience with past owned XBR products, I picked the Samsung. (Don't even get me started on my bad luck with Mitsubishi!!) [Flame suit on!]

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Go read Owners reviews at Circuit City on the models also - on the forum your likely to get alot of brand loyalty hype. I like both and I find a hard time justifying the extra expense of the SOny - while they are made in the same plant they do not share the patents on the electronics with one another. Samsung DNIe and Sony DNR or DRC( I think thats what they call it) are excluded from the patent sharing agreement they have.

After digesting the feedback go with whatever panel floats your boat to your eyes and budget or buy with 30 day return rights to swap if needed. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/0

Go read Owners reviews at Circuit City on the models also - on the forum your likely to get alot of brand loyalty hype. I like both and I find a hard time justifying the extra expense of the SOny - while they are made in the same plant they do not share the patents on the electronics with one another. Samsung DNIe and Sony DNR or DRC( I think thats what they call it) are excluded from the patent sharing agreement they have.

After digesting the feedback go with whatever panel floats your boat to your eyes and budget or buy with 30 day return rights to swap if needed. Good Luck!

Did so.

The VAST MAJORITY of SAMSUNG owners LOVE their set.

The MAJORITY of XBR OWNERS are having problems and warn the consumer to NOT buy it!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb-nuts007 /forum/post/0

Did so.

The VAST MAJORITY of SAMSUNG owners LOVE their set.

The MAJORITY of XBR OWNERS are having problems and warn the consumer to NOT buy it!

The VAST majority of reviews have been EDITED or DELETED also. The panel used in the Sony and the Samsung are the SAME!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Neither. Go with a LC-46D62u 46 inch Sharp Aquos. When this model came out, some people had a problem with banding. I just got mine 2 weeks ago and its flawless!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well. I checked this model Samsung LNS4695D specs.

Guess what. It says 1080p through component.

It says nothing about 1080p through HDMI.

I called Samsung.

One rep told me yes it supports the same as the component so HDMI is 1080p.

Next rep told me No it only supports 1080i HDMI since it does not say 1080p and it "may" upconvert it to 1080p through HDMI.

Next rep tells me yes it does since HDMI will do whatever the source and TV supports.

I told her "but some HDMI outlets only support 1080i even if the TV supports 1080p" (which I do not know for sure) She said .. hrm I dunoo.

Another tech told me the Samsung Upscales the HDMI sig from 1080i to p.

Ok so I try to figure out HOW to find out for sure.. well you cant find out through the PS3 because even if it says its in 1080p... the tv could be upscaling it to 1080p.. OR the tv might be downscaling it to 1080i without the PS3 knowing this.

Theres no way to check the current res on the Samsung.

And the only way to check the res on the PS3 is through the menu.

Which does not tell you what its running at that EXACT time since the game or blue ray is not actually playing.

I have no idea how to find out if we are getting 1080p through HDMI or not.

Does anyone here?

I am thinking of switching to the Sharp Aquos LC46D62U .

But those banding issues and the angle issues that sometimes arise are making me afraid. To tell you the truth I dont know what to do.

I wish I could find out the truth about this TV.

Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The Sony V2500 (which also shares the same panel) is better than either the Samsung (which overscans) and the XBR2/3 which oversharpens over HDMI causing halos around text. Both are therefore unsuitable as PC monitors over HDMI and are unable to faithfully reproduce 1080p HDMI regardless of the source.

The V2500's 1080p HDMI is 1-1 and cleanly resolves single pixel lines. It's also significantly lighter, narrower (no floating glass and with bottom speakers), has a black matte (not piano shiny black unless that's a preference) bezel, and swivel stand. The PQ from the XBox 360's 1080p VGA is stunning with HD-DVD's and games such as GoW. (1080p VGA isn't officially supported, but it works from the 360 and with Reduced Blanking timing from a PC).

The XBR2/3's and Samsungs are heavily promoted and prominently displayed while the V2500's are overlooked. B&m salespeople will be typically clueless and provide misninformation about this model. The panel and backlighting are the same as the XBR2/3. Interestingly, Sony chose the V2500's to show off their HD technology at CES 2007. There's a sticky on this model in this section.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconn2 /forum/post/0

The Sony V2500 (which also shares the same panel) is better than either the Samsung (which overscans) and the XBR2/3 which oversharpens over HDMI causing halos around text. Both are therefore unsuitable as PC monitors over HDMI and are unable to faithfully reproduce 1080p HDMI regardless of the source.

The V2500's 1080p HDMI is 1-1 and cleanly resolves single pixel lines. It's also significantly lighter, narrower (no floating glass and with bottom speakers), has a black matte (not piano shiny black unless that's a preference) bezel, and swivel stand. The PQ from the XBox 360's 1080p VGA is stunning with HD-DVD's and games such as GoW. (1080p VGA isn't officially supported, but it works from the 360 and with Reduced Blanking timing from a PC).

The XBR2/3's and Samsungs are heavily promoted and prominently displayed while the V2500's are overlooked. B&m salespeople will be typically clueless and provide misninformation about this model. The panel and backlighting are the same as the XBR2/3. Interestingly, Sony chose the V2500's to show off their HD technology at CES 2007. There's a sticky on this model in this section.

You forgot to mention that it also comes with the extra feature of "Incredible Clouds" good for entertaining 4 year olds and it comes free.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvinfo /forum/post/0

I am thinking of switching to the Sharp Aquos LC46D62U .

But those banding issues and the angle issues that sometimes arise are making me afraid. To tell you the truth I dont know what to do.

I wish I could find out the truth about this TV.

Does anyone know?

I was afraid too, but I heard that the latest shipments had this issue resolved so I took a chance. Luckily I didn't have any banding or any other defects with my set.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.