AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending approx a month reading reviews, and posts here, and checking out sets in the stores, I have finally decided to give HDTV a try with a Panasonic LCD rear screen projector 40" 16:9. I tested it at the store with all the stuff I currently use, DVD via Svid, Tivo via Svid, OTA via RF, and their in store hdtv demo loop.

NOW I decided it would be nice to be able to actually watch something in HDTV, since I currently subscribe to DirecTv, and Showtime, and noted they just added Showtime HD. We also have Fox digital, and CBS digital testing OTA here.

Well, I was going to get the matching Panasonic set top box, until I read all the negative reports here about it not working, being noisy, needing returns, etc. I have approx $500 left to spend.

The more I read here, the more confused I get.... having to switch resolutions on the back of the box, the box sending everything to the hdtv in one resolution no matter what format its in, etc....

Maybe someone can help me out...this is what I "NEED" to have, anything else is optional:

1: It MUST be able to output componant HDTV to the monitor while simultaneously sending NTSC to the Tivo.

2: It MUST have a low speed data port to allow the Tivo to control channel changes (DirecTv channels)

3: It MUST be able to allow me to use the monitors stretch for 4:3 digital programming (I am not planning on watching 4:3 stuff with sideways letterbox).

4: It MUST be able to tune both DirecTv and OTA digital and OTA analog.

Anything else it does, would be really nice, but those seem to be the basics for me. And from what Ive been reading, Im S.O.L. as I cant find any of the HDTV sat receivers or combo OTA/sat receivers that have a low speed data port for the tivo to control channel changes.

So do I wait, buy a cheap RCA DTC100 for now, forget DirecTv HD, and just get a cheap computer card receiver for OTA, or does someone have any recommendations they would like to pass along?

I always thought the more you knew, they better off you are, but in the case of HDTV, the more I learn, the more confused I get.

Who designs these things? Do they actually use them?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Davenlr
After spending approx a month reading reviews, and posts here, and checking ...

1: It MUST be able to output componant HDTV to the monitor while simultaneously sending NTSC to the Tivo.

Nothing out there does that right now. Its a feature many people would love to have, but no STB maker has clued into it. You'll have to just get another SD box dedicated to your Tivo or put up with not being able to watch HD while your Tivo records. If you have a lot of HD available in your area, this might be worthwhile. For me, I only get Showtime-HD and HBO-HD, so I just either turn off recording and watch HD or try to watch the program another time. Its sad, but there it is.

Quote:

So do I wait, buy a cheap RCA DTC100 for now, forget DirecTv HD, and just get a cheap computer card receiver for OTA, or does someone have any recommendations they would like to pass along?

I always thought the more you knew, they better off you are, but in the case of HDTV, the more I learn, the more confused I get.

Who designs these things? Do they actually use them?
Its sad, I know. I'd just stick with the DTC100 for now hoping for a better selection, perhaps even with a firewire port later this summer, but that's me. The new Samsung line recently announced sounds promising.

Good luck. --Karl

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Davenlr,

Since there is nothing available that meets your needs you might want to consider doing what I did. I have a DTC100 and an UltimateTV. This allows me to watch a HD program while recording SD (actually 2 SD programs). The UTV also records DD 5.1 audio. One other nice feature of the UTV is it's 16:9 mode. Shows identified in the guide to be letterbox are automatically expanded (vertically) to the proper aspect ratio with your TV in full mode. It does a pretty good job of scaling the picture (better than my Mits. TV). I recently missed the HD airing of a Band of Brothers episode but did record it (on the regular HBO channel) using the UTV. The result was a pretty good (non-anamorphic DVD quality)16x9 picture with DD 5.1 sound. Not HD but the next best thing. The best thing is that the UTV only cost $50 after rebate plus $10/month. DirecTivo will do the same thing as a UTV except for maybe the 16:9 mode. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, the problem with DTC-100 is you will have to buy and additional piece of equip. for your panasonic HDTV. It will convert the VGA 15 pin to the component out that the panasonic HDTV requires.:mad:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks for the suggestions...The Pany has a vga input, so thats not really an issue. The UTV solution sounds good too, except I already have two tivo's, and locals are not available here. I was really just trying to avoid paying DirecTv another $5 a month for a third receiver plugged into the same monitor, but doesnt look like Im going to be able to get away from it. Then to make matters worse, I find out only HBO-HD, and HDnet are on 119, Showtime is on 110, which means putting up a third dish and a sat-C kit for that one channel, or switching from showtime to HBO. I cant use the oval dish here because I am shooting through holes in trees in the woods, there is no spot where all three sats are visible from one location.

Guess I will wait and see what comes out on the market this fall, or pick up a hi-pix card and build a tuner from one of my old computers and just stick it in the closet behind the tv.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, it sounds like you need to buy a chain saw next, you can always mount a dish up in a tree. ive seen it tried here, but its harder than it sounds, on top of a fireplace is also a choice. you mentioned tweaking a computer for hd signal input. could you tell me more about this or rec. a site where i can learn about this tech.. i have a extra computer that i would like to use for tv/hdtv reception...:)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Search here for Hi-pix, or check out the power buy section for another brand they are selling for $299. I dont know much about them really, because they dont pick up DirecTv, so I never paid them much attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.