AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to find this info (I promise) but all the threads I find are (a) referring only to HD content or (b) making me more confused.

The goal: to capture content (taped on the 30K) onto my PC.

The content is always 480i (just regular stuff I tape off cable tv). At the moment, I'm using a Canopus ADVC-100 analog-to-DV external device between the PC and VCR. I'm going OUT of the VCR, IN to the Canopus with S-Video, then OUT of the Canopus, IN to the PC with firewire.

It works fine. But the VCR has firewire, and the Canopus has two firewire ports (I/O). Can I not do one of the following:

1. Go from VCR to Canopus (firewire) to PC (firewire) and capture DV?

2. Go directly from VCR to PC (firewire) and capture DV?

(The only other bit of info I can give is that I *am* able to send video BACK to the VCR through this: PC-->firewire-->Canopus-->firewire-->VCR.)

I will gratefully listen to any and all advice, even those that denigrate my intelligence. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:( you guys are usually so helpful! :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well let's see if I can't be completely un-helpful. Almost 6 months ago I created DVD's from SD STD speed D-VHS recordings, so I have little experience. I used DVHSTool Restore to get the data off the tape onto the computer, and I believe CAPDVHS to ReMux it to where it was a viewable MPEG2 file. From there I used TMPGEnc to get the bitrate below 10 Mbps for transfer to DVD. I am not familiar with the Canopus setup, but I don't see why you couldn't get the .ts FROM the VCR if you can send the .ts TO the VCR, unless the software utilizes DV only from the firewire, because D-VHS firewire only outputs MPEG2 (though it will accept DV input). Hopefully that was some help.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Flynn:

One way would be to Restore your HD tape recording to your PC using DVHS Tools (I would use v2.1), and save them in 143mb file sizes as TS streams. Then, you can copy your files from PC to DVD (I use Nero, but I assume Roxio would also work), and you will get about 30 minutes per DVD. So you're looking at about 8 DVDs for the Super Bowl.

If there are other proven ways, I'm sure someone will chime in.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shill66
It works fine. But the VCR has firewire, and the Canopus has two firewire ports (I/O). Can I not do one of the following:

1. Go from VCR to Canopus (firewire) to PC (firewire) and capture DV?

2. Go directly from VCR to PC (firewire) and capture DV?
shill,

To the best of my knowledge (limited, but confirmed by others on this forum when I first got my 30K) the 30K does not have an A to D in it. this means it can't convert analog (VHS or SVHS) to digital to go out the 1394 port. Only DVHS tapes can be put out the 1394 port.

-phil

·
Banned
892 Posts
I think it does have an A to D, and a SD MPEG2 encoder.

You can record SD to tape in D-VHS mode. You could then play the tape back and capture the SD MPEG2 data to the PC.

Regarding HD->DVD...

If you have a DVico Fusion card you can use their software to capture D-VHS to the PC, and then a utility they have to re-encode it down to DVD resolution MPEG2.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If it does indeed have an analog to digital converter, then in order to save to a standard DVD which you can then play on any set-top DVD player, you'll need to do the following:

1. Use DVHSTool to transfer the MPEG2 TS (transport stream) file(s) to your computer.

2. Use HDTVtoMPEG2 to convert the MPEG2 TS file(s) to a high-bitrate MPEG-2 PS (program stream) file.

3. Use TMPGEnc (or another MPEG-2 encoder program of your choice) to convert the high-bitrate/non-DVD standard MPEG-2 PS file to a DVD-standard compliant MPEG-2 PS file.

4. Use TMPGEnc DVD Author to author the DVD & menus, and burn it to DVD-R (or another DVD authoring program of your choice such as Ulead DVD MovieFactory or Movie Workshop).

In the case of the Superbowl HDTV recording, you'll be able to save it in beautiful 480p 16:9 anamorphic widescreen DVD format, which you can then play on any standard DVD player, all without doing an unnecessary Digital to Analog conversion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.