AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon AVS members!

I am trying to put together my first home theater system instead of relying on out of the box home theater systems. After sifting through a bunch of AVS forums (you guys know your stuff!)
I decided the first order of business was a receiver. With cash in hand I went to a magnolia store and ended up walking out with a Denon AVR-X2100W for 400.00 USD (after price matching Amazon.) The rep. kept saying what a steal it was. I'm building the setup piece by piece. I figured I'd next go with some speakers and then subwoofer. For the subwoofer I'm thinking SVS PB-1000 or STF-2. As for the speakers I'm thinking 2 Polk TSX 330T. That's all I've got so far. What would you guys recommend? Did I do good with the Denon or should I return and get something else? and what would recommendations be for subwoofers and speakers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :):):)

Also, I'm trying to go for the best sound for the monet. I don't really mind sacrificing nice features, as long as I get really nice sound and it doesn't break my pockets lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I am trying to put together my first home theater system instead of relying on out of the box home theater systems. After sifting through a bunch of AVS forums (you guys know your stuff!)
I decided the first order of business was a receiver. With cash in hand I went to a magnolia store and ended up walking out with a Denon AVR-X2100W for 400.00 USD (after price matching Amazon.) The rep. kept saying what a steal it was. I'm building the setup piece by piece. I figured I'd next go with some speakers and then subwoofer. For the subwoofer I'm thinking SVS PB-1000 or STF-2. As for the speakers I'm thinking 2 Polk TSX 330T. That's all I've got so far. What would you guys recommend? Did I do good with the Denon or should I return and get something else? and what would recommendations be for subwoofers and speakers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :):):)

Also, I'm trying to go for the best sound for the monet. I don't really mind sacrificing nice features, as long as I get really nice sound and it doesn't break my pockets lol.
If your thinking SVS for your sub, why not SVS for the rest of the speakers?
Their new line is modestly priced and getting great reviews.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I decided the first order of business was a receiver. With cash in hand I went to a magnolia store and ended up walking out with a Denon AVR-X2100W for 400.00 USD (after price matching Amazon.) The rep. kept saying what a steal it was. I'm building the setup piece by piece. I figured I'd next go with some speakers and then subwoofer. For the subwoofer I'm thinking SVS PB-1000 or STF-2. As for the speakers I'm thinking 2 Polk TSX 330T. That's all I've got so far. What would you guys recommend? Did I do good with the Denon or should I return and get something else? and what would recommendations be for subwoofers and speakers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If your thinking SVS for your sub, why not SVS for the rest of the speakers?
Their new line is modestly priced and getting great reviews.
Oh I didn't know they also had speakers! I'll definitely have to take a look into them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You would get more help in the speaker forum.

Denon makes good receivers so you should be set there. As for the rest. What are you using it for? Size of room? Budget? Would you consider any diy speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
The first thing you/we need to know is: Will this be a dedicated home theater, or just a living room with an audio-visual system integrated into it?

This decision affects not just the video components, but the audio also.

I won't even mention "room treatments" now. (Oops -- I did.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would get more help in the speaker forum.

Denon makes good receivers so you should be set there. As for the rest. What are you using it for? Size of room? Budget? Would you consider any diy speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using it as a setup for my living room which is 19' x 15'. As far as my budget goes I don't want to spend more than 2K. With the purchase of the receiver that leaves me 1600.00 to spend. I looked into DIY speakers but I don't think I'm that good with my hands to handle such a project lol I guess I should also post this in the speaker forum?

The first thing you/we need to know is: Will this be a dedicated home theater, or just a living room with an audio-visual system integrated into it?

This decision affects not just the video components, but the audio also.

I won't even mention "room treatments" now. (Oops -- I did.)
Just a living room with an audio-visual system integrated into it and What is room treatments?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am using it as a setup for my living room which is 19' x 15'. As far as my budget goes I don't want to spend more than 2K. With the purchase of the receiver that leaves me 1600.00 to spend. I looked into DIY speakers but I don't think I'm that good with my hands to handle such a project lol I guess I should also post this in the speaker forum?

Just a living room with an audio-visual system integrated into it and What is room treatments?
How tall are the ceilings? The kits at diysoundgroup.com are supposed to be really easy but I've never done them myself. Will TV/Movies or Music be the main goal of the system? I think the speaker forum sees a lot more traffic with these type of questions but they'll need all this same info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts