Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As I do not want to wait for the introduction of a new (HD) DVD-media, I now want to get my hands on one of those DVHS machines in order to watch HiDef material. My pj is the Yamaha DPX-1000 (1280*720).

Now, some questions for you who know about this:

In Europe we use, as you may know, PAL 50Hz so I will in no way be able to record anything just use the D-VHS material released on the market.

Which D-vhs recorder should I get? I know JVC 30k and 40k are fairly available in the UK.

How do I connect the video signal to the pj? Via component or DVI?

Will pj?s on board Faroudja scaler/deinterlacer be ok or do I need an external device?

Finally,

Would movies in 720p look better than those in 1080i on my pj?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Emelie
Hi,

How do I connect the video signal to the pj? Via component or DVI?

By PJ, I take it you mean projector???

The JVC (4000) can use component connection as an output. I don't think any of the DVHS models use DVI.

You will need to check with someone from your area to see which units are available in PAL.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm an American who has recently moved to Europe, and now I am confused and annoyed. I hadn't realized that even HDTV was not the same. Suppose I had some European 50 Hz HDTV files on my computer, like from euro1080. (I don't, but I could wish.) Then is it true that I cannot use my JVC HM-DH30000U to record 50 Hz ATSC via firewire? Is there a way to upconvert 50 Hz ATSC to 60 Hz on a PC and then transfer it to DVHS like normal? Is there any DVHS unit that works with 50 Hz ATSC?

Then there is the whole "region" fiasco. I have a region-free HTPC, so DVD regions are just a nuisance. However, my JVC D-VHS player is "region 1" for D-Theater. My "Galaxy Quest" 1080i D-Theater box has the region 1 globe symbol on it (with "NTSC" underneath?!) and on the tape is written "Region 1". Then, my T2 D-Theater box says "Region-1" but on the tape is written nothing about regions. Then, my "U-571" box says nothing about regions, but on the tape inside is written "Region 1". Then, some D-Theater tapes are actually region-free, like Terminator-1. Hmmm. When tapes from other regions start appearing, this could be a real mess if you cannot tell what you're getting from the box.

And then there is power. My American-intended JVC wants 110VAC, 60 W, but doesn't like what it's getting from my converter, which has 220VAC input with 100-120VAC (not selectable) output, max 100W. Two lights light up on the JVC but it won't respond to power on/off or any other button and it won't accept a tape. Does anyone know of a European-to-American power converter that actually works?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I too have a JVC 30000 here in Europe. I use a plain vainilla step down convertor 220v to 120v and it works just fine over here. (These are the bulky type of transformer, not the new electronic ones)

OTOH I have tried transfering a Euro1080 .ts file to the recorder and it works but not ok, the picture does funny things, probably because of the 50hz to 60hz thing.

I can watch Euro1080 with a cheapo sat-PCI card. You just need a powerful PC to do the MPEG decoding. Let me know if you need more info. But be aware: programming as of now SUCKS bigtime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.