AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I am an anal shopper. I'll admit it. I drive my wife CRAZY becuse i do SO much research on any purchase of consequence that it consumes me.

We decided to get a new big screen TV. So i have been researching and education myself on the technology and the ins and outs of HDTV. I consider myself a very knowledgeable and very tech savvy.

I have what I think is a simple question, but I am sure I will get no-so-simple responses.

Here is my frustration and concern...

I have heard the hype about HD and it is supposedly undistiputiable that the image quality is worth EVERY penny versus current analog televeision.

So I walk into a Best Buy, Circuit City, local Electronic Super Store, etc. and walk to the Digital TV area and ask a salesperson....

"Is THAT a High Definition signal I am looking at?" and he answers; "Yes it is."

and my wife and I say.... "Oh".... Not "WOW", "INCREDIBLE", or "I HAVE TO HAVE IT"; but merely "Oh, looks pretty good"

Yes I can tell it looks better than our 28" analog convex tube at home, no question. But with all the hype I have seen and read, shouldnt I be saying "I absolutlely have to get that TV becuase it looks SO DAMN INCREDIBLE???"

Am I missing something or am I the world's toughest critic on HDTV?

Please help, I want to be "Wowed" before I drop $3000 on a television. Thank you in advance for all your comments.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Possibility #1: You weren't looking at a HD signal. The salesfolk you see there aren't quite as bright as they might lead you to believe.

Possibility #2: The improvement in picture from SD to HD isn't worth $3,000 to your wife. The feeling isn't universal. I can show my wife the most amazing picure in the world and she will say "oh". Maybe even a "that's nice". But the difference between it and a 19" grocery store TV isn't worth $100 to her.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
Even my wife agrees that HD looks fantastic (especially for sports). Watching football looks 3D, like you are looking through a picture window onto the field. BB and CC are probably not the best places to check them out (maybe you were watching a DVD, which is not HD).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd almost guarantee that you weren't watching a full HD feed. Don't forget that all HD is not created equal as well. Depends greatly on the source equipment. But believe me, when you see a well-produced HD program on a decent set...you will say WOW. Your wife probably will too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We only go to one place for our big ticket electonics. It started out small then was bought by a chain, but the locals stayed. They have their TV's set up right, and also have a DVD player hooked up to each TV if people request to see one. They are a little more than BB or CC, but I feel an extra buck or two is worth it for the service we get. All that being said the new TV we just bought looks even better then it did on the floor. By us the best HD feed is PBS. My wife took one look at the hot air ballon show they run and her jaw dropped. Mind you this is from a girl who has a hard time telling the difference between mono and stereo. I really don't see how anyone could not see the difference when something is broadcast in true full blown HD and regular SD. It really is night and day. I find myself watching pottery shows because of the detail. I am sure the novelty will wear off, but now I am enjoying anything that is broadcast in HD regardless of what it is.

·
2,429 Posts
Welcome to AVS,

I know what you are saying about the "WOW" factor. These large chain stores are not the best place to see that. They split the signal so many times and don't use the optimal connections. You may do better going to the smaller High end stores to see what is possible. I did that and was shown a DVHS tape of a Japanese Garden and it looked like I was looking out a window to the garden.

At home I see it a lot more then at the stores. As more things are shot in HD we will benefit from it. Sometimes I wonder if half the shows that say that are HD are not just up-ressed widescreen.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Barrybud
They split the signal so many times and don't use the optimal connections.
Key point. I was at Sears the other day, saw the horrendously blurry HD picture, and decided to take a peek behind the TVs to see how they had them hooked up ...

Composite connections with multiple splitters - blech!

Bill

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've never been that impressed when looking at HD TVs in a store - even ones that are well set-up in good lighting. The problem is not having a point of reference to your old set. You need be able to compare SD signal to HD signal side-by-side, which is usually not possible in a store setting.

I was never impressed with HD until I went to a friend's house and was able to toggle back and forth between a network showing of a movie in SD and HD. The difference was unbelievable, and sold me on HD from that point forward.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
"I find myself watching pottery shows because of the detail."

I know what you mean. My family laughs when I pause while flipping through the channels to watch a few minutes of some HD nature shots on PBS or INHD1/2 (the flowers look incredible).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foowigs
I find myself watching pottery shows because of the detail. I am sure the novelty will wear off, but now I am enjoying anything that is broadcast in HD regardless of what it is.
Hehehe...I hear ya. Same here.

I know more than I care to about cacti in Mexico because of the PBS show Desert Speaks. And that travel show Smart Travels can be absolutely breathtaking. Good HD is truly something to behold.

·
Registered
237 Posts
True HD is a joy to behold. The other networks are stunning also, but PBS to me is the best looking. Leno is excellent as well as CSI, but for some reason PBS looks a little better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.