AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an new Samsung DLP HLN567W and just purchased a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor HDTV antenna for over the air high-def broadcasts (Cable company is brining my hi-def box next week for several channles they are carrying).

Set up the antenna and hooked it into Antenna B coax on the back of the tv. Switched tv channels around and only was able to get one chanel (local Fox). BTW I am in Coral Springs, FL.

Ran a channel scan on the TV and it didn't locate any others. Two questions:

1. Do I need an OTA tuner in addition to the antenna?

2. WIll I only get reception on the tv when there is a hi-def broadcast?

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Your TV is HD ready. It does not have a HD tuner. You will have to have a HD tuner of some kind. You were able to get Fox because they don't have a HD signal.

DirecTV STB's also have over the air (OTA ) tuners in them. I'm not sure about the STB you will get from your cable company. It will probably not have an OTA tuner so the only HD you will get will be the ones they provide.

You may be able to get information about OTA HD stations in your local area from the link I've included. It's hard to tell if a OTA tune would provide you with enough more than cable to make up for the cost of a second STB.

Local HDTV Info and Reception

HDTV Hardware

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keep the antenna and get an OTA receiver?

My cable company, Advanced Cable, is offereing 5 or 6 channels (ESPN HD, HDNet, HBO, etc.) in HD starting next week. They are coming Monday to exchange my current cable box for the HD one.

My question is, don't I still need and OTA tuner to receive "regular channel" HD broadcasts (network...like the Super Bowl and West Wing, etc.)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sage540
My question is, don't I still need and OTA tuner to receive "regular channel" HD broadcasts (network...like the Super Bowl and West Wing, etc.)?
Yes, if your cable Co. does not offer them. Go to www.antennaweb.org & put your address to see what is available OTA for you.

Jordan

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
[echo]Right![/echo]

And depending on your location in relation to the broadcasts you want to receive you may need an outdoor antenna or even one with a rotor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.