AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm trying to find a receiver under $1000 that will suit my needs. I have a PS3 connected through HDMI for bluray watching and gaming. I have and HD Direct TV satellite receiver connected through HDMI. Lastly, I have an XBox 360 and Wii connected through Component. All of this is connected to a Samsung 5271 HDTV.

I don't know much about controlling my receiver through my computer and all that fancy stuff. I just want the best possible 7.1 sound experience for my PS/Blu Ray player and the best possible sound for my XBox 360, Directtv, and Wii. I also don't want the video quality to remain as good as it is now or better when using the receiver.

As you can tell, I don't know much about the ins and outs of the audio scene, but I'm sure you guys could help me out with an affordable receiver that will give me what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
there are a bazillion receivers under $1000 that will meet your needs. time to start doing some reading

first, start off with the AVR FAQ at the top of this page and understand the new features/technologies available in receivers.

then, follow along with this forum for a week or two. spend some time clicking on old threads from the past few days where people ask for suggestions, read user reviews on sites like Amazon for various models, and get a feel for the "lay of the land". after a few days, the options/features will become clearer.

if you aren't an "audiophile" and just want kick-ass 7.1 sound, you don't have to spend anywhere close to $1000.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I actually have read the FAQ and understand it for the most part. I've been looking at these forums for a while now, but I still don't know what to get. I've been eying the Onkyo 806, but then I've heard it has a "blue dot" problem when using HDMI.

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
A mid-level Denon (1909/789 or 2309/889) may meet all of your needs, if you want something almost certain to be glitch free. Can't promise they'll be easy to set up, as the manuals suck, but my website and the help of others here on this forum should get you through it.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
What speakers are you using? Are speakers part of the $1000 budget?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using some Klipsch speakers, but I'm at work so I couldn't tell you the model number. They are old, but pretty decent speakers though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts