AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My parents have a fairly old LCD TV with awful sound so I bought a basic Cambridge Audio amp and Wharfdale Diamond9 speakers to bolster the output. The TV has an integrated DVD player in the base and they use a freeview box for TV. The TV is connected to the freeview box via a Scart cable. I've attached pics so really hope the upload as they'll make this much easier - two pics are on the back of the TV, one is of the back of the integrated DVD player (horizontal outputs), and one is of the back of the freeview box and amp.

On the back of the TV are component outputs x 5 and there are 3 x outputs on the DVD player (standard red/white/yellow). I have attached the freeview box to the amp with a standard audio interconnect (red/white both ends) which works for the TV and gives decent sound; I set the volume on the Amp at mid-level so the volume can be adjusted by the remote control for the freeview box.

The problem is that if they play a DVD the sound will then come out of the TV speakers unless I physically move the audio interconnect from the freeview box to the DVD player. I tried using an aux jack to phono cable to connect the TV direct to the amp but the sound still comes out of the speakers, presumably because of the Scart?

So the question is, do I buy another interconnect and connect the DVD player to the amp's DVD input (they then just change the input switch on the amp if they want to watch a DVD) or should I use component cables from the TV to the freeview box instead of scart then a phono cable from the TV to the amp?

Thanks in advance.
Charles

Attachments

·
23,019 Posts
What happens when you get another set of L/R audio cables and connect the DVD player to another input on the Cambridge?

larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happens when you get another set of L/R audio cables and connect the DVD player to another input on the Cambridge?

larry

Hi Larry,

I only have one audio cable right now but when I connected the DVD player output to the amp it worked fine, the only minor glitch being that you have to adjust the volume on the amp itself.

Charles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts