Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I bought a used Ampro 3600. I believe it was made in 1996 or 1997. Its running time is about 1400hours(58days). Tubes are all good, and only Green tube has very slight 4:3 burn(or wear).

The picture is quite strange. (Sources are DVDP and VCR w/o any difference)The center is darker than upper part and lower part. I checked each color. Blue's center is very slightly darker than the other parts. Red's center is worse than Blue's. Green's center is the worst. In fact, Green's upper part is much brighter than the center, and Red's lower part is brighter than the other parts. So, my Ampro's center is darker and bluer than the other parts. Upper part is brighter with Green, lower part has some more red.

In the first place, I suspect it was because of tubes' burn, which turned out not to be true. The darker part does NOT coincide the burned part. Even when I made the image smaller, this symptom was still there. When I turn it off and on after my Apro is warmed up, the picture becomes a little better but still has darker and bluer center.

I don't have any idea of what is wrong.

Please help!

Thank you in advance.^^

Seong

:confused:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Seong,

If you are only using the s-video input jack on the quad card, try a different video path.

If you display test patterns, do you see the same problems?

Try going directly into the rgb inputs using your computer video card output card as a signal source.

Ray

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
This probably has nothing to do with your problem, but every ampro I've come across needed a full flush and clean of the coolant and they seem to come standard with nasty crusty crud in the fluid or attached to the glass.

Look for dark coolant and or a haze on the glass or tube face. It can be hard to see.

Troy

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi,

my ceiling mounted 3600 has one single abnormality.

In bright scene, the upper part of the image flickers. Flicker stays when the scene is paused. Flicker is around 1-twentieth of the whole screen.

Please help.

Frank

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Frank,

The flickering is usually related to a problem with the Spellman HVPS.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks Thurman,

I have a spare Spellman HVPS, parts from 4300. They have same spec.

However, the pin asignment of the connectors are different whereas the color & number of wire match.

Do you think I can try the spare one if I swap the pins to match that of the existing ???

Thanks

Frank.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If the Spellman part number is the same on both, you can redo the wiring in the connector and swap them.

I thought that the Spellman in the 3600/4600 had been redesigned and had a higher output voltage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Ray,

I'm using VCR w/ S-video, and DVDP + transcoder w/RGB.

I use RGB DVDP also(LG LST3500 DVDP has RGB output). But the picture is the same. This is driving me crazy!

Seong

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Seong,

Sorry, I didn't recognize that you were using a progressive scan device.

Just a thought. Is there a chance your 3600 has the optional "Intensity Mapping" feature that can vary the brightness and contrast in 9 zones on the crt face?

Try a 93
Code:
 command to reset all zones to 50%

Ray

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Ray.

But unfortunately, my Ampro 3600 does not have that option. In fact, I tried 93
Code:
 already, but in vain. The manual says it is optional.

I might have to change some boards of my machine. But I don't know what.

Seong

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Seong,

The intensity mapping would have been too easy. If you seeing the same problem on all three tubes, odds are its the video source rgb card. There have been a lot of threads lately where that turned out to be the problem.

Stick with it - that's really a great projector.

Ray

·
Registered
345 Posts
Seong,

I believe the RGB source card is the card that you plug the RGBHV BNC inputs into on the back of the projector (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Does the problem occur on both the RGBHV inputs and the composite and s-video inputs?

Matt

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Give me the board number, I probably have stock. IT's a 5 digit number on the board.

Curt

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Seong,

Are the top, middle, and bottom of the picture in focus. It might be that the vertical dynamic focus is defocused, giving the appearance of higher brightness in the top and bottom of the picture.

When you display the internal test pattern, is it in focus?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Matt,

I have exactly the same problem w/ RGBHV inputs, composite and s-video inputs.

Curt,

Do you still believe video RGB source board is the problem?

Thank you all.

Seong

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thurman,

I have exactly the same problem w/ RGBHV inputs, composite and s-video inputs. When I adjust vertical dynamic focus, the brightness in the top and bottom is a little adjusted, but still the problem remains.

Curt,

Do you still believe video RGB source board is the problem?

Thank you all.

Seong

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I have not had that problem before, but unless you swap out some boards, it looks like we're not getting any further with troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Curt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.