256MB PC133 RAM

ATI RADEON 64MB DDR VIVO

ATI PCI TV Wonder (older one)

Midiman Audiophile 2496

AOpen 16X DVD-ROM

Sony Wega KV32FS12

DIRECTV satellite

Harman Kardon DVD5

Harman Kardon AVR510 receiver hooked up to DVD player & computer.

Ghetto sound system that sounds damn good to me (Infinity HPS 1.5 fronts, infinity CC-3 center, Midiland S2-4100 as rears and sub)

I've had this computer for quite some time, and have yet to utilize it to it's fullest potential. When I first put it together I just used it to play dvds off my 21" trinitron monitor, but I have since then acquired a 27" and 32" Sony Wega telivision. Being that my telivisions are much larger and are calibrated, I found that the DVD experience w/ my HK dvd player has been much more pleasing than on my HTPC w/ 21" monitor. The picture seems sharper & smooter, colors are more vibrant. I recently tried conecting my computer to the Wega via the S-Video out on the Radeon, and calibrated both the tv and computer so text is sharp and the picture is as accurate possible. I could only get it to view at 800x600 max on the TV; any higher would stretch the screen outside the viewing area.

I tried a few DVD's using PowerDVD 3, and although nice, it won't be replacing my HK DVD player, that's for sure. I do believe though that I can get better results if I do a little tweaking and mess around with the settings. I'd like to get more out of my computer, I just don't know where to begin! I just have so many questions... hopefully you guys can help me out:

1) I'm not exactly sure if this is possible, but can I use my HTPC as a line doubler for the WEGA? Or does the TV have to be HD-compatible?

2) Is there any way I can improve the gainyness of VHS, video games and other such video sources relaying them through the computer?

3) Should I hook up my DirecTV receiver to my computer? What can I do with this? Is there any way to use my computer as a TIVO like device?

4) I plan on upgrading to an bigscreen HD RPTV before next summer, so what can I anticipate there? Will burn-in be an issue with my HTPC? Would it be possible to output a progressive signal from my computer, and if so how would I go about it?

5) What advice would you have for my current setup? What can I do to improve DVD output through my computer to rival that of my tabletop player?

Any and all suggestions/advice are welcomed! Your input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
221 Posts
1) I'm not exactly sure if this is possible, but can I use my HTPC as a line doubler for the WEGA? Or does the TV have to be HD-compatible?

Does the WEGA have a VGA or compnent input? If so, yes.

2) Is there any way I can improve the gainyness of VHS, video games and other such video sources relaying them through the computer?

dunno

3) Should I hook up my DirecTV receiver to my computer? What can I do with this? Is there any way to use my computer as a TIVO like device?

No point unless you get the SDI modified TIVO being discussed elsewhere. The point would be then to scale this using DSCALER.

4) I plan on upgrading to an bigscreen HD RPTV before next summer, so what can I anticipate there? Will burn-in be an issue with my HTPC? Would it be possible to output a progressive signal from my computer, and if so how would I go about it?

This is when your HTPC will leave your DVD player in the dust, using the VGA output, possibly converting to component.

5) What advice would you have for my current setup? What can I do to improve DVD output through my computer to rival that of my tabletop player?

I think you're limited as long as you are using the S-video output.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have component video inputs, so would it be fine to use a VGA > component converter? After hooking it up to my PC through that mean, how would I go about utilizing the computer as a line-doubler for my video feeds to the TV? Any other ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
221 Posts
You'll need a VGA>component converter. I'm not current on these, but I'm certain you can find the details with a search.

This will allow you to get a high quality signal into the TV, but I'm not familiar with this TV and I have no idea what timings or resolutions you should set up. It it is HD, then use any of the HD compatible timings in powerstrip. If it is 480i, I'm not sure the computer has a role.

To scale a TV signal, you would need a capture card with an S-video input, scale with D-scaler, and send it out over the VGA output. Again, this would only be feasible if the TV can accept a HD or a 480p input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.