AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger and upgrade my Sony STR-720 Receiver with something more substantial. Here is the set up that it will be in conjuction with...

Samsung FTP-5084 Plasma (soon to be either the 550-650 model)

DirecTV HD Receiver

PS3

Jamo 5.1 system using a Velodyne sub. (these will be swapped for either the Klipsch Quintet SL package or a Polk Package using the TSI300s, CS10 Center, and 2 RC55 or RC60 In ceiling speakers)

I really dont see myself getting an additional 2 speakers completing the 7.1 set-up MAINLY because my house does not afford me the proper placement of these 2 extra speakers. Therefore the MOST I will be getting for any forseable future is 5.1. Because of this, do I NEED a receiver with True HD or DTS-MA capabilities? Strictly speaking, Im referring to the PS3 which I know cant bitstream the newer codecs.

Thanks for all your help.

BTW, I was looking at the Denon AVR-789 or the Onkyo SR-706 as the replacement.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
7.1 has nothing to do with TrueHD. TrueHD is lossless audio, see the stickied AVR FAQ.

The PS3 can output lossless audio via HDMI Multi-channel PCM (MPCM). To take advantage of this, you will need a receiver which can receive MPCM over HDMI. Not all can. You don't need one with TrueHD decoding, but it might be nice to have going into the future.

Lossless audio is not mandatory by any means. I don't hear a big difference between lossless and lossy. See the AVR FAQ for a discussion.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm /forum/post/15533821

I really dont see myself getting an additional 2 speakers completing the 7.1 set-up MAINLY because my house does not afford me the proper placement of these 2 extra speakers. Therefore the MOST I will be getting for any forseable future is 5.1. Because of this, do I NEED a receiver with True HD or DTS-MA capabilities? Strictly speaking, Im referring to the PS3 which I know cant bitstream the newer codecs.

Thanks for all your help.

BTW, I was looking at the Denon AVR-789 or the Onkyo SR-706 as the replacement.

Very few people have true 7.1 setups and even fewer movies are in 7.1

TrueHD and DTS-MA is just a lossless codec. You are fine with 5.1

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks for the quick reply guys.

Can the two choices I mentioned above fit what you are saying?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My old receiver is the Marantz 9300.( A 3k rec.)

Like many I do BD/only from netflix.

My 1k Onkyo w/ a bd disc in true hd makes my 'ole 9300 sound pretty sad in comparison.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm /forum/post/15534008

Wow, thanks for the quick reply guys.

Can the two choices I mentioned above fit what you are saying?

Yep... you'll be happy!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/15534784

You don't need TruHD or DTS-M regardless. See this article:

http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby...compressed_PCM

As for the speakers, I vote for the Klipsch over the Polks. But forget the Klipsch sub - think SVS subwoofer.

Thanks. But I'll be using my Velodyne Sub. Its worked flawlessly for 10+ years

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm /forum/post/15534849

Thanks. But I'll be using my Velodyne Sub. Its worked flawlessly for 10+ years

I wouldn't consider Harman...I don't think they are a solid company. JMO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts