AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have been researching rptv this week and its giving me a headach :). I need to decide what i want bye this week though because of some sales going on. I read most of the post on the technologies (DLP & LCTV). Out of what i read with the new technologies i probably prefer LCD but unless someone can change my mind im probably going to go with a traditional CRT. Here is kind of what i have narroed my choices to at this point:
Hitachi 50" HDTV (50VS810) LCD, Hitachi 51" HDTV (51F710S) CRT, Hitachi 57" HDTV (57F710S), Mitsubishi 65" Widescreen HD-Ready Rear-Projection TV Model: WS-65315 , or Toshiba 52" HD-Ready DLP Rear-Projection TV with HDMI Input and PIP - Silver w/Gray Bezel Model: 52HM84.

I just want to stress pq is my main concern well beyond anything else

I really like the 50VS810 but the price is a little more than i would like to spend. When i looked at the pq on the 65'' mitshibishi at best buy...i was stuned. It looked awesome to me and the price was awesome for a 65''. It didn't have an HD tuner which really didn't bother me that much but the whole kicker is it didn't have HDMI :(. I don't know since this is my first big screen but i think getting a tv without HDMI right now would be a big mistake from what ive heard.

What ive seen about LCDTV & DLP is that the new technology certainly makes them thinner and lighter but not necesarily and better in pq. Of course id rather have a thinner and lighter set but its not that big a deal for me pq is what im after. If read post where people say CRT is definitly tops if its professional calibrated. My question is how does the picture compare to LCDTV & DLP if its not professional calibrated by a professional but by the person who is using the tv? Im sure there are calibration DVD's you can get. How will the picture compare then? I have a friend who paid $500 to get his tv calibrated and there is no way im going to spend that kind of money. He is pretty much my resource because he has 3 big screens (one crt, and two LCD) He got a DLP but said he could see the rainbow affect and took it back. He said he wouldn't buy another crt because of convergence but how bad can it really be? Do the pictures on the screens really get that dull?

Another question is that i don't seem many big screens listed with DVI. Is DVI going away with big screens? The reason i ask is because i have multiple home computers and of course most video cards have DVI but no HDMI connectors. Do any big screens really come with DVI Anymore?

Here is the big question everyone...i think i have narroed my choice down to the Hitachi 51" HDTV (51F710S) CRT orHitachi 57" HDTV (57F710S) CRT. Id like to have a thin set but its FAR from highest priority especially considering CRTs are a lot cheaper. The picture quality on these seemed pretty dang good. Boy do i wish the mitshibishi had a HDMI connector. Am i making a mistake just because the mitshibish doesn't have a HDMI connector? Am i making a mistake overall going with a CRT?

Oh viewing. I will be doing a little viewing from DirecTV. I will probably get the High Def reciever really soon. I will do the majority of my viewing from a DVD player for watching movies. It is realtively dark where i will be sitting usually. Its a small room (my house is only 1100 square feet).

I hope i get some good replies soon since i have to make up my mind really quickly.

thanks for your help in advance,

ncage

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I don't know anything about the sets you mentioned, but if PQ is your only concern go with a CRT. I purchased a Sony RP LCD that I am quite pleased with because:

a)I am unable to fully control my lighting conditions and wanted a bright set that could be viewed from all angles in a 'normal' room.

b) I wanted to be able to play 4:3 content and video games without fear of burn in

c) DLP gives me headaches and rainbows (was fine in showroom...terrible at home)

d) I may be moving soon and my girlfriend and I can easily move my current set

e) The slight screen door effect I see at close range doesn't bother me.

My roommate has a Mits CRT and it does do better blacks and handles SD content better but its really tough to watch it in the daytime (He can't control the light levels in his living room either)

But I should say his CRT does look better in some ways then mine when the room is dark. Just not enough for me to buy one considering my other needs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Convergence is a problem for CRTs but its not that big of a problem. My friend had a Sony that he could do a manual convergence right from the menu. Also another of my friends bought an extended warranty from Tweeter that included once a year convergence and cleaning on his CRT RPTV.

Whatever you do though dont buy a TV without a HDCP capablem HDMI or DVI connector. There is a big thread over on hometheaterforum about it. Quite a few people are very upset that they might have to buy a whole new set in order to use the new HD DVD formats that are coming out in a year or so.

As far as a DVI connection a lot of people just use adapter to make HDMI to DVI or vice versa. Also a lot of TVs just have the VGA 15 Pin connector for PC connections.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolfanJay
Convergence is a problem for CRTs but its not that big of a problem. My friend had a Sony that he could do a manual convergence right from the menu. Also another of my friends bought an extended warranty from Tweeter that included once a year convergence and cleaning on his CRT RPTV.

Whatever you do though dont buy a TV without a HDCP capablem HDMI or DVI connector. There is a big thread over on hometheaterforum about it. Quite a few people are very upset that they might have to buy a whole new set in order to use the new HD DVD formats that are coming out in a year or so.

As far as a DVI connection a lot of people just use adapter to make HDMI to DVI or vice versa. Also a lot of TVs just have the VGA 15 Pin connector for PC connections.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help. What if the tv just has a DVI connector an no HDMI? Is this ok? I found out the mitshibishi does in fact have an DVI connector or should i still shy away because of the lack of hdmi?

thanks,

ncage

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guys i kind of went 360 here..welll i guess 180 since i still got a crt. I went to best buy tonight and was looking at the WS-65315. I really really liked the picture. It even impressed me more than the hitachi (which i definitly did like). I thought for 1,799 a 65'' ..you just can't beat that price and as far as i know Mitsubishi and hitachi make the best CRTs. Another thing that got me what much better best buy had on thier extended warranty than Circuity City. Circuit City was going to charge me $200 for a 2 year extended. I got a 4 year extended through best buy for $250. The guy i dealt with at best buy knew quite a bit about big screens and was able to answer most of my questions except he really didn't know what HDCP was. He was able to answer my questions about convergence in detail which was very helpful.

Like i said above i didn't like that the Mitsubishi didn't have HDMI buti did find out their DVI input did have HDCP on it so it looks like i won't have any problems in the future and i knwo you can get those converters to go from HDMI--->DVI. Oh on a side note i was there and i was starting to faintly remember getting something in the mail for 12% off any tv 399 and up. The guy told me that if i brought it up they would subtract it from my ticket.

As i drove home i kept on remembering more that i forsure had it..but i thought i had thrown it out (wha ti usually do) cause i didn't think i was getting a big screen any time soon. Well when i got home it was there YAHOOOO!!!!!. I was about half way back to best buy and i started reading the disclaimer on the back. It said excluded: Mitsubishi diamond. I was so upset but i said what the hell ill go there and see if they woud give it to me anyways. Well i went there and csr started doing it and even called the supervisor to help her so i got another 230 off cause they didn't read if very closely. So i ended up getting the tv for about 1500 :)))). I was so happy a 65'' tv for 1500..what a steal. Oh ya i signed up for this reward thing to at best buy which was $10 a year. I will get $60 of gift certificated in the mail to use at best buy too. This ended getting a VERY good deal.

I had them deliver the tv for $50 which is kind of high for delivery. I could have did it myself because i half a full size truck but for $50 its definitly worth it since this tv is HUGE and it weighs over 300 pounds.

So what do you guys think? Did i make a very good decision or what? I hope the Mitsubishi looks good with sd stuff too when i get it. I won't get the tv until next Sunday though but thats fine with me. I will be lookinf forward to it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sounds like a great deal to me. I hope you enjoy your new TV. I'm sure you will :). I would like to hear what you think once you get it set up.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage
Hi everyone. I have been researching rptv this week and its giving me a headach :)

A week?... some of us have been at this silly research stage for 2.5 years :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.