AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i have recieved all my speakers. 4 x-ls from AV123 (Fronts and surrounds). 1 x-cs (center) and awaiting my MFW 15 inch Sub.

Now i am ordering a receiver today regardless but would like for you guys which i am quite sure are more knowledgable in this department help me choose.

My receiver choices are:

Pionerr Elite 82 or 84

or

Yamaha 1700, 2600,

I will be hooking an HD-DVD player HDMI right to TV and audio to receiver. My X-Box 360 will go thru reciever by component out HDMI to TV. So the whole upconversion methods of each player really don't come into play for me. I will be using this for mostly watching movies.

So any comments on which is better for me will help me decide which one comes home to me today. That LFE problem in the pioneers concern me aswell.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The yamaha 2600 would be my choice if I were to purchase an all in one, plenty of power, and options, all of the yamahas Ive heard in friend setups, or customers homes that I've worked in (not audio related) have performed quite well. They seem to be real close to actual power ratings, and as of right now, have an edge with the HDMI over others.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just want the best possible receiver for sound at the best possible price. the pio elite 84 has LFE issues not sure if the Yamahas have the same issue when playing HD-DVD's.

the 2600 is HDMI 1.1

the pio 82,84,and yamaha 1700 are HDMI 1.2 not sure how much of a difference this makes?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I was also interested in both Pioneer Elite and Yamaha. After careful study, I selected the Marantz 7001. No LFE problem. No overheating. Four very reliable HDMI inputs. Audyssey room calibration.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
In the range of receivers you are looking at you would be hard pressed to actually hear any sonic difference between them. So go with the one that gives you the best feature set that you need, has the best reliability, and the best deal. Then enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico /forum/post/0

In the range of receivers you are looking at you would be hard pressed to actually hear any sonic difference between them. So go with the one that gives you the best feature set that you need, has the best reliability, and the best deal. Then enjoy!!!!

I disagree. I hear a big difference between Pioneers and Yahmaha's. Yamaha's tend to be bright (and a bit harsh to my ears) while Pioneers tend to be a bit warmer and more neutral. The Denon's and Pioneers are a closer match sonically.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts

Quote:
the 2600 is HDMI 1.1

the pio 82,84,and yamaha 1700 are HDMI 1.2 not sure how much of a difference this makes?

None whatsoever. The way they handle the incoming video and LPCM audio may well be different, but this has nothing to do with the HDMI version.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW just found out the yamahas have the LFE issue playing HD-DVD's just like the pioneers. This hinders my order now. I want to order one or the other soon. Have speakers that need a receiver

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well with the Denon the price takes a pretty good jump thats why it was not considered. I want to stay right around $1000.00

Hopefully the LFE issue go away for both the pioneer elite and Yamahas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.