AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a strange problem with my computer lately. I used to be able to have a resolution of 1280x720x72Hz. I am using the 7093 drivers, and the latest Powerstrip 3 beta. I somehow lost my 1280x720 resolution and can't get it back. I rebuilt my computer from scratch last night and I "ghosted" it before installing the ATI video drivers so I could try again and again. The first time I tried, I was able to get 1280x720 to show up as an option (after rebooting to test that it will add it). When I went to use it, it was out of sync and my computer locked up. After that, I had to go back to VGA, then re-install the drivers. The screen mode would not come back.

Then I re-installed from the ghost image, and re-installed the drivers. This time I did not even get the 1280x720 to show up after rebooting.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I have a KT133 chipset and an AMD thunderbird 900 with a Radeon LE.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

·
Registered
332 Posts
You seem to be having a problem similar to one of mine. When I run 960 by 540 on my VE (with only one monitor hooked up), the screen goes out of whack. The only way to recover is to boot in safe mode and reset your VGA settings. Booting again should cause ATI to ask if you want to reset the drivers. When you respond with Reset, that eliminates your custom resolutions. Assuming that you're using PowerStrip, go to custom resolutions and re-add it. You'll have to boot one more time, but that should put it back.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
91 Posts
Make sure that your refresh rate/resolution are set to be compatible with your monitor. You should be specific (75, 72, 60). The adapter default might be one setting, the optimal setting another. The adapter/optimal setting might be fine when you are in 800x600, but when you switch to 1024x768, the optimal/adapter setting might not work. If the monitor can not handle it, display will go blank (and not revert if you switched using powerstrip). Switch the refresh rate first to a rate that is compliant with your monitor at the desired resolution, then switch the resolution and you should be alright.

------------------

-macdaddy

visit www.theHarangue.com

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. Chuck I tried your idea, and it did not help unfortunately.

The *main* problem I am having is the new resolution simply is not accepted by Windows, so I can't switch to it. All I get is:

640x480,800x600,848x480,1024x768,1280x1024,1600x1200.

I want to add 1280x720, and when I try in Powerstrip, it asks me to reboot to see if it worked, and it doesn't.

The method I am using is selecting 1280x720 HDTV Standard, then uping the refresh rate to 72 from 60, then pressing add new resolution. 1280x720x72 is no problem for my projector. I think when I got lucky and it added the mode the one and only time, it picked the optimal refresh rate, which is higher than my projector supports. I pick a Sony GDM500PS or something like that as my monitor since it encompasses (but exceeds) what my projector will do. I just have to squint to fix the refresh rate once I get the mode up.

Any more ideas how to add 1280x720 anyone? Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it! What I did was add a custom monitor using the specs of my projector, then added the supplied 1280x720 HDTV Standard resolution as is. It worked! Then I just changed the refresh rate to 72. I am not sure why this worked because I was fine before with the other monitor, but at least I am happy now! Thanks for your help guys.

Mike

·
Registered
645 Posts
macdaddy - If you switch resolutions using the PowerStrip Display screen and end up out of sync, you press the ESC key to restore your previous settings. In the Advanced timing options screen, there's a 9-level undo. There is no need for recovery using profiles because it is impossible to create a profile unless you've tested it first.

Radeon + custom resolutions: I'm afraid I have no idea why the support is so finicky - it seems to be getting worse, rather than better, with each driver build... This could be a PowerStrip issue, but I think not since ATI's own utility doesn't work at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.