AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been trying to connect my sub woofer to my receiver and test it and am not able to get it working.

On my Onkyo SR-TX504 there is a subwoofer out(1 composite connection?) and on my Velodyne sub there are (2 composite in, one is LFE). When I try to connect the receiver's subwoofer out to the velodyne's LFE connection via a yellow(composite cable). I don't hear anything during my Onkyo speaker test.

Am I using the wrong cable? Aren't all composite cable's the same?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Check your owner's manual to see if you have to "tell" the 504 that you have a sub connected using one of the speaker setup menus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked both manual on the receiver and the sub and have follow the instructions. I've checked that the receiver setup has the "subwoofer" to ON. Do you think it's my cabling?

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
1. Make sure the sub is connected to the sub "Pre-Out" jack on the back of the Onkyo and not the DVD sub input jack. You would be surprised how often this happens.

2. Make sure all your speakers are set to "Small" in the speaker setup menu.

3. Try a new cable between the Onkyo and the sub.

By the way, "composite" refers to composite video. A composite video cable can be used to connect a sub to an AVR but a standard coax audio cable will not necessarily transmit composite video.

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
Hi endollan and welcome to the forum.

Here are some basic setup:

- connect sub cable (yellow RCA composite you're using should be fine, I prefer a sub cable) from SR504 "Subwoofer Pre-Out" (purple color) to VRP1200 "L-LFE In" (white)

- set VRP1200 volume to 1/2, Phase switched to "0", Low-Pass Crossover to "200" (highest it can go)

- set SR504 "Speaker Configuration" Subwoofer to "Yes" and other speakers to "Small"

- set SR504 "Crossover Frequency" to "80" (100 is fine also) and "Double Bass" to "Off"

- set SR504 "Speaker" to "A"

Press Test Tone and see if all speakers are working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts