AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
@cannga
I hear you. That is indeed the concensus and I'd be a fool not to listen. 3xJTR212RT and CAP2400 is indeed the route I'm taking. I'll "live" with the lack of proper surrounds for now. :D

As for volume level, @Luminated67, I dont really have a set preference. I often find myself turning the volume down during prolonged loud scenes...

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
@hughhugh yes I agree with your approach. IMHO, do take care of LCR + subwoofer first - this is the framework of the system and where most sound comes from. In particular the center - most ultra high end hometheater systems use full range center speaker (exactly like what you're doing) as this is far and away the most active speaker in any movie.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
@cannga That is certainly new info. I have read that center channel is important (and felt also because I often find dialogues are being drowned by other "noises"), but never would have guessed that it is over 80% of the mix. Good to know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hi again Gents.

While waiting for a reply from JTR (sent a few emails but no reply yet. Heard from the forum that they are a very busy company...), I figure that I could safe a few more G to use for the surround (probably the single 8s).

Part of the deal with the wife is that she can use the HT for karaoke with friends. So I budgeted JBL PA (prx/srx) and a mixer. Upon more reading on JTR, I suspect that their speaker can be used for live music/karaoke also. Thereby saving me the budget for JBL PA and use it for single 8 surrounds instead.

My questions are:
1. Can the noesis 212RT be used safely for karaoke (vocal/mic).
2. I imagine at the very least, the cap2400 can be used for the sub for both HT and PA system, so no separate sub for the karaoke system is needed. Am I wrong ?

2b. My thinking is:
Use a "Y" xlr splitter to input both signal from preamp (for HT) AND a mixer and a crossover (for karaoke) as a separate input for the noesis and sub.

Upon reading, I see that regular home theater speakers are not to be used for live music/karaoke. So I probably need to have a crossover that has a "limiter" feature to protect the speakers. Is this correct ?

Thank you for the advise Gents.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Hi again Gents.

While waiting for a reply from JTR (sent a few emails but no reply yet. Heard from the forum that they are a very busy company...), I figure that I could safe a few more G to use for the surround (probably the single 8s).

Part of the deal with the wife is that she can use the HT for karaoke with friends. So I budgeted JBL PA (prx/srx) and a mixer. Upon more reading on JTR, I suspect that their speaker can be used for live music/karaoke also. Thereby saving me the budget for JBL PA and use it for single 8 surrounds instead.

My questions are:
1. Can the noesis 212RT be used safely for karaoke (vocal/mic).
2. I imagine at the very least, the cap2400 can be used for the sub for both HT and PA system, so no separate sub for the karaoke system is needed. Am I wrong ?

2b. My thinking is:
Use a "Y" xlr splitter to input both signal from preamp (for HT) AND a mixer and a crossover (for karaoke) as a separate input for the noesis and sub.

Upon reading, I see that regular home theater speakers are not to be used for live music/karaoke. So I probably need to have a crossover that has a "limiter" feature to protect the speakers. Is this correct ?

Thank you for the advise Gents.
You should have no problem. Those speakers can go louder than you could ever stand. I don’t see how karaoke could cause any issue. It is just music.

I have always had the best luck calling Jeff as opposed to emailing

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
JTR speakers are essentially Pro Audio drivers in consumer audio-sized enclosures.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Raynist, Sigpig
Ok. Thanks. I take it that it means the Noesis are safe for karaoke. Some info from the web says that home speakers arent to be used for karaoke.

Anyways, I'll ask JTR too when I can get through.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
So then what are the trade offs to achieve all that?
Cost! The high grade Neodymium magnet coaxial compression driver used by JTR in their 3-way models retailed for between $750 - $800 per unit the last time I looked.

id say less finesse, less musical, harder to blend seamlessly....
just my guess
This is what high-priced consumer audio spivs would like you to believe. But I can't see how the attributes of high sensitivity, high power handling and being "almost indestructible" precludes the first two (loosely defined) attributes. The mid/high coaxial being point source, time aligned, phase coherent and very low distortion at high SPL would strongly indicate the opposite is true.

As for "harder to blend seamlessly...."; the BMC coaxial has a FR down to 300Hz (-10dB?) and loaded onto a 60º x 60º horn, is readily blended with the woofers using a 500Hz crossover on most JTR speaker models. Additionally, the midrange CD covers the majority of the range of human voice.

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
Not at all.

Trade offs are size, price and they look somewhat industrial.
Looks! Do you buy speakers to look at or listen to ? Some want the former and are never fully satisfied with the latter. Others go for the latter and never give a crap about the former. Chose wisely my friend.....;)

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Looks! Do you buy speakers to look at or listen to ? Some want the former and are never fully satisfied with the latter. Others go for the latter and never give a crap about the former. Chose wisely my friend.....;)
All of the speakers in my 4 systems are the PA type, looks come last for me :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Can I ask if there is a comparable (sound, quality, price) alternative to JTR ?

I've emailed, called, and leave messages, but there is no response from them (few emails over 2 weeks, called since last week).

I am a bit concerned of getting help in the future if just getting to their sales is rather difficult.

Is a diy a good idea ? I saw some info on the DIY Sound Group but cant find info on whether a build instruction is included in the packs they sold. (I figure we can use a locally sourced wood. Its something we have plenty of here).

Can anyone please advise how the DIYSG 1899 sounds ? For ht and for music ?

Do you diy the subwoofer also (I imagine this is more difficult ?). If not, then I'd still have to find a sub supply that is hopefully comparable to the cap2400.

Thank you guys.

·
Registered
894 Posts
DIY is most definitely an option look at that section.There are threads on the 1899's'one guy built 7!.
The Titans are another option.

The kits don't really come with instruction but there are build threads on most models.Most you can get prebuilt crossovers or there is a speaker designer who can bulid them for you.
Finishing is really the most difficult part.What I mean that by that,is the skys the limit as to how you finish them whether paint,duratex,veneer,ect.

Subwoofers can be built fairly easily as well depending what you want.There are many proven designs in the DIY section,and new ones are popping up daily(it seems)Again the skys the limit.

Check out the DIY section.Many who have, will never go back to commercial speakers and subs(I'm one of them,even though I've only just begun the journey.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts

I've emailed, called, and leave messages, but there is no response from them (few emails over 2 weeks, called since last week).

I am a bit concerned of getting help in the future if just getting to their sales is rather difficult.

Is a diy a good idea ? I saw some info on the DIY Sound Group but cant find info on whether a build instruction is included in the packs they sold. (I figure we can use a locally sourced wood. Its something we have plenty of here).

Do you diy the subwoofer also (I imagine this is more difficult ?). If not, then I'd still have to find a sub supply that is hopefully comparable to the cap2400.

Thank you guys.

If not DIY then look at PSA speakers as well. While not the level of JTR they are a lot cheaper and IMO provide a lot of bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,883 Posts

Thank you guys.
@Jeff Permanian

Strange, I have always had good luck calling them. He is on central time zone and a one man show.

I would call in the early to mid morning Central Standard Time. I think there is a big time zone difference from what I remember (you are not in the US correct?).

81 - 100 of 146 Posts