AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello All,

First of all thank you for the help.  Here is my issue -  I have comcast cable and a few days ago they shut me off saying that my house was sending negative signals and interference to their box.  So, the tech came out and said the wiring in my house is the problem.  I have a main coax cable that goes from the box to my basement then it is split to a longer cable that is then split through a two way splitter.  Then the line is split two or three more times for my 2 tvs and cable modem.  I went to Radio shack yesterday and bought a amplifier and plugged it to my first line that comes in the house...  Now, my tvs work but my cable modem doesn't.  Any ideas of what to do?  Should I buy a better amplifier or should I buy one more amplifier to go to my second split?  Or should I change everything (I really really do not want to rewire the house)  Any help will be appreciated thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,424 Posts
Welcome to AVS. No need to double post. As a new member, posts containing links must be approved by mods.

S~

Reactions: nofinclue

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
If the cableco got a "complaint" that your home was sending "negative signals", then you have an issue.

I assume you added "stuff" in your home. Basically, the cableco is only responsible for the main "drop" to your home, the 2-way splitter (one for TV, one for modem) and perhaps the coax run to those two devices by the vendor. Other than that.... you have issues due to improper wiring or whatever.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofinclue  /t/1521277/please-help-coax-cable-splitter-issue#post_24448300

I did not add anything except one more splitter
Then have your cable provider resolve the issue/complaint.

If you only added a splitter, you probably added cable too. Therefore something is wrong if whatever you did caused egress.

Everyone does (or has done) this and never get complaints (or cause).

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
Oh okay...

When they shut you off, try to fix it.

You caused a "problem" that generated a complaint. Add an amp... you probably amplify the egress issue.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofinclue  /t/1521277/please-help-coax-cable-splitter-issue/0_40#post_24448736

So im guessing a better amplifier wont help

Actually guessing is a pretty valid way to solve problems. All it takes is one lucky guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofinclue  /t/1521277/please-help-coax-cable-splitter-issue/0_40#post_24448766

Oh and i dont want my cable providr to fix the issue i want to fix it myself

Well you best start reading up on how this stuff works. You very likely don't need an amp for three outlets.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy  /t/1521277/please-help-coax-cable-splitter-issue#post_24449552

Actually guessing is a pretty valid way to solve problems. All it takes is one lucky guess.
Unless you work in a bomb squad.

Reactions: olyteddy

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofinclue  /t/1521277/please-help-coax-cable-splitter-issue#post_24448736

So im guessing a better amplifier wont help
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofinclue  /t/1521277/please-help-coax-cable-splitter-issue#post_24448766

Oh and i dont want my cable providr to fix the issue i want to fix it myself

A good drop amp will cost you $50-$100. How much will it cost to have Comcast fix it? If it's their doing, then the fix is free, even if it includes needing an amp. But, chances are, they can just boost the signal remotely, when they figure out what is causing the problem.

If you have added splitters and connected more TV's than you are paying for, then the tech will blow you in, and you will have to pay for the additional connections.

If the TV's are working now without the Cable Boxes, it won't be long before they are not working anymore. All Cable TV providers have been moving to requiring Cable boxes for all tiers of their programming to prevent people from connecting more TV's than they subscribe to, or to prevent people only pay for the internet from connecting TV's.

If you don't get it fixed, then you are losing money by paying for something that you are not receiving.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofinclue  /t/1521277/please-help-coax-cable-splitter-issue#post_24446855

...a few days ago they shut me off saying that my house was sending negative signals and interference to their box.  So, the tech came out and said the wiring in my house is the problem. 

This says it all. Comcast shut him down. Whatever he/she did, caused an egress problem. Whatever was done is/was serious enough for them to do a truck roll.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Actually, it was an ingress issue. Stuff getting into his distribution system and going upstream into the CATV system. Most common causes are loose or poorly made connections and/or sub-standard cable inside the house. Poorly shielded amplifiers and/or splitters could also be culprits.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn  /t/1521277/please-help-coax-cable-splitter-issue/0_40#post_24456962

Actually, it was an ingress issue. Stuff getting into his distribution system and going upstream into the CATV system. Most common causes are loose or poorly made connections and/or sub-standard cable inside the house. Poorly shielded amplifiers and/or splitters could also be culprits.

That was my next to last CATV job. Return path mitigation. Way too many possible causes. But you hit the main ones there. I might add that a lot of that bad cable and fittings comes from DIY installations.

Reactions: egnlsn
1 - 20 of 22 Posts