AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I keep thing thing in back of my lcd ( about 3 inches) called SSSScat, which is a cat deterrent that quickly blasts a burst of compressed air if there is movement in front of it. It has worked great, keeping wire chewing cat at bay.

Yesterday, it went off( from me moving it), blasting the air for a straight 20 seconds ,( it was Coming out cold, and somewhat even liquid). Evaporated really fast).

I'm just concerned that some of this might have gotten into the vents in the back of the television.

My question really is...Are there usually any components right inside the back vents in a LCD set?

The reason I'm so paranoid is that it a Mitsubishi unisen with a killer soundbar built in, and the television is no longer even made.

Thanks for any thoughts..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Its certainly possible it could damage the set or has damaged the set, but you would have noticed something immediate most likely. compressed air evaporates quickly so i doubt it would do much harm even if some of the liquid landed on sensitive innards. If you suspect liquid has made its way into the tv set, do not use it, unplug it, and try your best to make sure its completely dry before you turn it back on.

A quick fix would be to put some paper/tape on the back of the set vents (but without covering them completely because air flow is probably necessary for an older set) so that liquid does not have the chance to damage the innards before it evaporates.

To answer your question directly: yes, im sure there are plenty of sensitive components throughout your entire tv.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
The boiling point of that 'liquid' is 20 to 30 degrees below zero, so it boils away PDQ. I'd be more concerned about frostbite than the liquid getting something wet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.