AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to put my CD player back into rotation from sheer frustration. I recently bought a Netgear EVA9100 and connected my external HDD to it and found that the 9100 plays music files from a folder in alphabetical order and not the order in which the album was intended to play.

I tried using NTFS and FAT partitions but once I attach it to the 9100, the order is alphabetical. So, it is changed from "date mofified" to alphabetical.

When I attach the drive back to my laptop and change it back to "date modified" it stays that way until I hook it up back to the 9100.

Is there any software or file format, etc. that I need to look into?

BTW, it does this on FLAC and WAV files.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom /forum/post/20824416

You could hack it by appending the track number to the beginning of each track name. That could be tedious, however. I wonder if there's a program out there that could do it automatically?

Thought about something similar but to do it for 100+ albums is a major pain.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/20824451

Thought about something similar but to do it for 100+ albums is a major pain.

If your tagging is all correct for the music (as in, the embedded or id3 tags have the track numbers), foobar2000 can do this in about 30 seconds using the rename by pattern option. When you install foobar2000, make sure that you add the file operations tickbox.

Load up your whole music library in foobar2000, select it all, right click and there should be an option called file operations, or something similar. Hover over that, and choose the rename option. You can then rename the files by pattern - there is an included syntax guide for creating the patterns.

I use %artist% - %title%, which outputs the files as artistname - titleofsong.flac

All you need to do is set up the rename pattern with the %#% (I think that is the syntax for track number, it might be %tracknumber% or something similar, check the syntax guide) at the beginning.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahfacecopter /forum/post/20824744

foobar2000 can do this in about 30 seconds using the rename by pattern option.

When you install foobar2000, make sure that you add the file operations tickbox.

Similarly, mp3tag's Format action will work if the track-number tag is correct

(but I don't think this will work for WAV files.) The OP might load all the

MP3's, FLAC's, and/or APE's, and
  • bring up the Action menu,
  • select Format,
  • enter '_FILENAME' for the field
  • enter, for example, '%track% - %_filename%' for the value.

It's best to test this on a backup copy of the files.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
If the EVA9100 understands ID3 tags, the above suggestion should work. Rather than trying to "flash" all your media at once and risk making a major can't-undo bo-bo, copy a few of your files to an old HD and test it out to your liking first.

It has nothing to do with FAT formatting and what not, it's the server/player ability (letting you) sort in the way you want to.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca
Similarly, mp3tag's Format action will work if the track-number tag is correct

(but I don't think this will work for WAV files.) The OP might load all the

MP3's, FLAC's, and/or APE's, and
  • bring up the Action menu,
  • select Format,
  • enter '_FILENAME' for the field
  • enter, for example, '%track% - %_filename%' for the value.

It's best to test this on a backup copy of the files.
Thanks, this seems to be the best option so far. However, I will have to convert all my files to FLACs which is OK but my only concern is lack of quality between WAV to FLAC.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/20825653

...I will have to convert all my files to FLACs which is OK but my only concern is lack of quality between WAV to FLAC.

FLAC is lossless, with about 50% space savings over WAV. MP3 is lossy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand /forum/post/20825944

FLAC is lossless, with about 50% space savings over WAV. MP3 is lossy.

Thanks. You are right but having never converted anything to FLAC, I was wondering about the file size of FLAC and therefore it's quality.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/20826100

Thanks. You are right but having never converted anything to FLAC, I was wondering about the file size of FLAC and therefore it's quality.

FLAC is lossless... File size has nothing to do with FLAC quality...

FLAC quality will always be the same as WAV... just smaller size... it will be bit perfect...

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/20826100

I was wondering about the file size of FLAC and therefore it's quality.

Quality: Lossless means you can reconstruct the WAV files from the FLAC

files without any 'loss'. They sound exactly the same and you can get back

your originals unchanged.

Size: My experience is a 20-40% reduction in size. Newer CD's with limited

dynamic range are the worst.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/20828560

I cannot spend money on cd ripping software so I downloaded freeRIP and foobar2000. Which is preferred?

I really prefer, and currently use DBpoweramp ... but its a paid for app (after X amount of days free trial)

I used to use EAC , that was very good too... and free...

you want something that actually checks to make sure the bits it thinks it read from the disk are correct... if you care about audio quality...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost
I really prefer, and currently use DBpoweramp ... but its a paid for app (after X amount of days free trial)

I used to use EAC , that was very good too... and free...

you want something that actually checks to make sure the bits it thinks it read from the disk are correct... if you care about audio quality...
Thanks. I think foobar is pretty good for now. I will give DBPoweramp a shot in the near future.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/20841800

Thanks. I think foobar is pretty good for now. I will give DBPoweramp a shot in the near future.

I know foobar is/was a great PC audio player (I haven't used a PC player in quite some time, so my info could be out of date), when did they add ripping? and do they support accurip or any of the other rip verifier type checkers?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.