AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching the internet for about 4+ hours each day, for the last 5 days, and I cannot find any LCDs that fit what I need. Any suggestions of monitors that fit the criteria is greatly appreciated. In the mean time I shall keep looking and check back.

Background:

I'm using a Dell E151FPb 15" LCD from 2003, which is actually a VERY good monitor. I sent the last 4 monitors I've bought to my other PC builds because this one happens to have the fastest response, a crystal clear, completely 100% sharp and flawlessly proportioned picture on text and pictures with no random artifacts like a lot of the cheap monitors get, and it supports 60Hz and 72Hz for my movie addictions. These attributes are important to me, and seeing as I've used and abused this monitor about 16+ hours each and every day and it is to the point that all the colors are fading to a soon to be unacceptable level, it seems that I need to get a new monitor. It use to be set at about 40% on all the settings for the best picture, and at the moment I've got everything set at about 95% with severe gamma/color correction and its still faded somewhat. I'm quite spoiled and stubborn about the whole "you get what you pay for" thing. I want to buy a nice and clear monitor with the 60 & 72Hz I need for movies, and when I set it up, it actually be a nice and clear picture with the 60 & 72Hz available that I need. (TBH, its also time for me to look at getting something with a little more real estate as well. It's kind of hard to run 4 programs and actively navigate some web page on a 15".)

The Criteria:

I'm looking for something 17" to 30" in a computer monitor variety (not an HDTV with PC capabilities), but I honestly don't really care what exact size. The important thing though is that it MUST have 1900X1200 support and it MUST be able to do 19X12 at both 60 and 72Hz for movies. I edit and tweak the settings and source to optimize it for my display and am an avid videophile, so these are the most crucial parts. Not so importantly, a faster response is nice but not required, it's a medium game/heavy movie rig that this is going on so its gotta be at least a tolerable response time. It needs to be a sharp clear picture as well, none of this crap where the "p"s look like they have a growth on part of them, or "o"s being thicker on one side and both of which change as you scroll. I've seen that type of artifact or the picture is just not sharp enough on way too many of the monitors out there today and it scares me that the monitor industry has taken a deep venture down the wrong path. So please, anyone that knows their way around monitors and what quality ones are out there, lend me your knowledge so that I don't end up with a lemon. Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple of monitors that I've been looking more favorably at are the Westinghouse L2410NM although I can't locate whether it supports 72Hz at 1900X1200, and also the ViewSonic X Series VX2640w although ViewSonic doesn't strike me as the most reliable or top quality type of monitors. If thats not the case, please feel free to correct me as I'm not that fluent on monitor brands.

Edit: I'm using this thread as a reference guide just FYI for anyone that likes tangents.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

Second post, under multimedia about half way to 2/3 of the way down.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverendpaqo /forum/post/14345754

I'm using a Dell E151FPb 15" LCD from 2003, which is actually a VERY good monitor.

it supports 60Hz and 72Hz for my movie addictions.

I'm looking for something 17" to 30" in a computer monitor variety (not an HDTV with PC capabilities), but I honestly don't really care what exact size. The important thing though is that it MUST have 1900X1200 support and it MUST be able to do 19X12 at both 60 and 72Hz for movies.

I don't think it exists. You'd need dual link DVI and what manufacturer will spend the money for all that just for an added refresh rate?

Those panels like your old one that will accept an analog signal at some other refresh rate generally convert it internally to their native refresh rate during the analog->digital conversion, so it's pointless. Plus you lose a lot of quality with analog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts