Thermaltake DH101 Case

Asus P5WD2-Premium Mobo

Intel 920D @ 2.8ghz

PQI Turbo DDR2 2gb

ATI Radeon X1900xt

Happauge 1800

Windows Vista Home Premium

year 2000 Panasonic HD RPTV

My TV looks like crap when connected to tge computer. My tv doesnt have and HDMI input, only HD thru component, (y, pb,pr) ATI CCC first forces a goofy resolution which is completely illegible. I have to stet it at 720x480 @ 29 hz to be able to read anything, and that is much too low of a resolution to be able to use windows normally. The OK/Apply buttons of just about any window are completely cut-off. I download ed powerstrip, but I dont understand how to set this thing, us. It llooks like te only way I can do anything, is to add a customer monitor, but I have no idea what settings to use! Anyone care to help me get this working?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi DF. At first glance your cpu is not dual core, video card and old TV are marginal for anything over 720p and you have no HDCP ability.

If you get 720p over component with that setup you be doin good imo.

DVI/HDMI w/ HDCP, upscaling DVD or HD-BD and SPDIF HDaudio is needed for 1080p. Some use VGA but I dont get into that debate.

Hang in there. Duder.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My bad...I meant Intel Core 2 Duo.

I'm just giving my opinion, fwiw. That's what we do here in addition to sharing hard learned facts.

I don't take anything here as fact until I buy and test it.

Of course you're not stuck. You have options like replacing pieces I mentioned 1 at a time for starters.

We would need the exact TV model # but you say it's RP type from 2000.

I'm saying your biggest limiting factor is your TV and the component (RGB) connection on it.

I'd suggest reading up on getting your vid card model driver resolution set properly over component.

That's a big topic covered heavily for ati and nvidia here at AVS.

Then read up on the software package you want to use to playback files and disc's.

Or maybe someone will come by with a similar setup and say do this this then this and your all set.

I hope this info helps more then the issues I mentioned before. Those comments were focused on you achieving 1080p which atm is the best we can get.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Panasonic PT-56WXF95A.. the little brother to the one that Mr. Bob says he will never get rid of in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=695922

i'm not really expecting anything. The TV is HD-ready (doesnt have a HD tuner on board) and will do 720p and 1080i

EDIT:

after the ump-teen millionth reboot CCC is finally recognizing my TV has HDTV. I have it set at 720p right now... 1080i flickers really bad. Even at 720p any text on teh screen is very hard to read. I am starting to think this is more to do with calibration/convergance than the htpc

·
Registered
9,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFusion /forum/post/15575071

Panasonic PT-56WXF95A.. the little brother to the one that Mr. Bob says he will never get rid of in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=695922

i'm not really expecting anything. The TV is HD-ready (doesnt have a HD tuner on board) and will do 720p and 1080i

EDIT:

after the ump-teen millionth reboot CCC is finally recognizing my TV has HDTV. I have it set at 720p right now... 1080i flickers really bad. Even at 720p any text on teh screen is very hard to read. I am starting to think this is more to do with calibration/convergance than the htpc

I have a 73" now, so yeah I'll get rid of it to someone with respect for the genre and will pay what I ask because of all the calibration I have done to it.

But no, I won't dump it for cheap!

I believe Hammerdown was the one who would not part with his, and I don't think he has a bigger one to take its place, like I do -

b

·
Registered
9,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFusion /forum/post/15591081

right, however I think the convergence is all messed up as stated in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1110227

That's not unusual at all, the conv drifts off over the years. But can be tightened up like you would not believe, at ANY age, with the right operator on the remote.

b

Screenshot from my 65" Panny, you can see my equipment riding the top of it -

[/UR

L]

·
Registered
268 Posts
What version of CCC are you using?

Text on a RPTV will always be fuzzy. Doesn't matter if it is through the component inputs or through DVI/HDMI connections. The most you can do is increase the font size and icon size.

For the flickering at 1080i, what frequency is it running at. By default, I think the CCC drivers should set to 30Hz with 1080i.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Running CCC 8.12

Really?? the text will always be fuzzy? That just doesnt seem right to me. I mean look at the quality of the pic Mr. Bob posted... seems like with the set tweaked as well as that one, text would be very crisp?

at 1080i, CCC defaults to 30hz I believe. The screen is super twitchy when I try it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey, I said text, not video images. Mr Bob has a great looking picture without a doubt for watching video...me likey very much. I'd like to see what Windows standard text looks like. There is a thread or two that discusses the issue with text on a RPTV somewhere here, I just haven't found them yet, but I'm searching. It's got something to do with the pixel count or something along that line. Not to mention the small font size of the standard window text is not designed for interlace video output. On my Panny, I've increased both the icon size to the maximum, and text to a font of like 48 or something large along those lines. My desktop looks fine, but then you open a window that hasn't been setup yet and blah. I'm not saying a good calibration like Mr. Bob's wouldn't help...it most certainly would, but I think you will alway have the fuzzy text look with a RPTV.

Hey, I've got some good screen caps of my system playing 300. I've used Zoom Player for playback, and used ffdshow to upscale the video to 1920x1080i, and ran through some post-processing sharpening....the details are awesome...Does it rival Mr. Bob's setup...no where close. You can see them on my HTPC thread. The capture looks increadible though...then you go back to the Windows desktop...blah. So yeah...I'm speaking from experience.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles_00 /forum/post/15596701

Hey, I said text, not video images. Mr Bob has a great looking picture without a doubt for watching video...me likey very much. I'd like to see what Windows standard text looks like. There is a thread or two that discusses the issue with text on a RPTV somewhere here, I just haven't found them yet, but I'm searching. It's got something to do with the pixel count or something along that line. Not to mention the small font size of the standard window text is not designed for interlace video output. On my Panny, I've increased both the icon size to the maximum, and text to a font of like 48 or something large along those lines. My desktop looks fine, but then you open a window that hasn't been setup yet and blah. I'm not saying a good calibration like Mr. Bob's wouldn't help...it most certainly would, but I think you will alway have the fuzzy text look with a RPTV.

Hey, I've got some good screen caps of my system playing 300. I've used Zoom Player for playback, and used ffdshow to upscale the video to 1920x1080i, and ran through some post-processing sharpening....the details are awesome...Does it rival Mr. Bob's setup...no where close. You can see them on my HTPC thread. The capture looks increadible though...then you go back to the Windows desktop...blah. So yeah...I'm speaking from experience.

Crisp is crisp is crisp.

My text is super sharp, just like my pictures. I have a shot with small print on an SUV ad, and it's crystal clear.

I have calibrated a Hitachi for a gaming guru in LA who uses his 51" Hit CRT for his PC monitor, and it looks absolutely delicious. The only drawback for PC use is that the conv error has to be pushed as far out to the extreme edges as possible, which works fine for video viewing, but extreme edges are far more important for PC icons than for video viewing. As such, if you really need the icons to be crystal clear you need to go fixed pixel.

But outside of that, for the rest of the screen CRT triple-gun works just fine for PC.

b

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for the info Mr. Bob. Wish you were in my area. I've got a Panny PT-47x54...I love the set, but know a good cal is required.

Here's one of the links I was reffering to:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=rptv

We are not alone in the least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts