AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I look on my local craigslist today and see that someone is selling a Klipsch Sub-10 for $50!!! Sure its a little scratched up but the thing that gets me is he says it has a "muffled sound"? This is the exact description...

im selling my klipsch 10" home subwoofer with a couple of scratches on the front. it also has a muffled sound to the speaker cant figure out why. but it would make for a good party sub with loud music. you can stop by to hear it to see if you would like it. heres a link to it from bestbuy. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395911231

Im just wondering what you guys think is wrong or if the sub is blown then how much would it be to get another sub and put it in. I just thought this was very cheap for this...I know Klipsch subs aren't the best and all but still...$50! Thanks for the help by the way!! I might go listen to it tomorrow if I need to unless you guys think something is waay wrong. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys, just a few tips for when I go listen or what to look for. I usually hang out in the speaker and receiver forums so im not to nifty with the subs.

PS- Im a college student so thats why this is such a big deal to me! ha

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
If there is something wrong with the sub itself, it isn't worth fixing. With the time and money spent, you'd be better off investing in a new sub rather than trying to repair it. However for 50 bucks and he's letting you demo it first it might be a good buy, but I wouldn't even think about putting time or money into it for repair.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are repairs for subs expensive or what? He emailed me and said it sounds fine and still plays hits hard throughout the house or something but its just a little muffled. I figure it might be a blown VC or something but im not sure how much it would cost to repair that or where to look??

Thanks for the help jakeman

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
If it's muffled, it could be a few different things, but the end result is likely that the driver itself needs to be replaced...if you can even find an exact replacement. Klipsch may have them, but I'm sure they'll charge a pretty penny for what should be a cheap woofer.

If it does need a new woofer, you could look at parts-express.com and try replacing it with another that will work well in that size enclosure.

If the amp is messed up, don't even worry about fixing it. Either don't buy it, or use it till it dies.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is their any way to see whether its the sub or the amp or a fuse or whatever? Obviously i'll look at the sub to see if theirs any tears but would I need to take it apart to check the whole thing? Im guessing the amp and fuses are inside too!

Also, what 10" sub would you suggest for this enclosure? Sorry for all the questions...Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts