AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is that I have shadows that are created by text on the screen. And there are shadows that really discolor objects on the screen. Like Ill be watching some ones face and when it moves to a certain part of the screen it looks like she's got a 5 o'clock shadow. It is really apparent when a parental advisory warning comes on before a movie. You can see how the white text creates a shadow that extends horizontally on the screen.

I just bought the Hitachi UltraVision® P50V702. I'm using HDMI to go from my DirecTv HD DVR. I also see the same thing when I use YGB composite coming from my Marantz SD 480p DVD player.

I bought it from and installer and he said that he hardly even noticed it and that maybe plasma's do that. ???? I thought I was up grading not sacrificing quality for a bigger screen.

I've tried the built in wipe to get any burn in out but when the white screen comes on I don't see any burn in.
It's like this. If you were to look at some one holding a white stick above there head. Then if they lowered that stick behind there head level with there nose then you would see a shadow the size of the stick go right across there face.

I have included pictures. If you look right above Lucy Lui's brow you can see the shadow created by the chalk board frame. You cant see it that well in the picture but imagine it times 10. And sometimes bigger. The other picture is of the parental advisory. You can see the lines trailing off to the left.

I would just like to know if this is a bad Plasma or just the normal thing that happens with cheap plasma's. I only spent $1500 should I have got something more expensive?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogeektoo /forum/post/15456216

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows about any plasma's that don't do the shadowy artifact thing?

I've never seen anything like this on either the Pioneer or Panasonic plasmas I own. Is your set one of the 1080i Hitachi plasmas?

·
Registered
959 Posts
People call it "line bleeding" and it happens on all plasmas. Has nothing to do with burn in. Do a search and you'll see a thread just like yours gets started about once a month

It has something to do with the way the set generates the picture. A certain amount of power or voltage is supplied to each horizontal line - when you have a bright horizontal line like seen in a menu, certain types of text, or other scene features (I think the last thread discussed the ropes around a boxing ring), you'll frequently see those "shadows" extending to either side. I suppose it's possible for one set to show it worse than another, but I can't speculate as to why that would be. But it's not a quality issue, it's the nature of the technology. One of the little quirks we live with

jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it's the 1080p model. I can't believe you could pay so much money and have these lines across people's faces. It's definitely not a quirk I would live with. I had a Sony Trinitron 37" with an DVI input and even though it wasn't wide screen, that thing had the clearest picture I've ever seen Plasma or LCD. Too bad it took up the whole living room.

So I guess I'm really disapointed with this plasma. I find it hard to believe that the makers of this technology would just "chalk this up to the game" and still make products that do this. Why buy a plasma then? Why even have HD quality media if you have to live with these stupid lines across peoples faces and things? Really takes the wow out of Blue-Ray and HD programing. I don't care how big the screen is or how little the space it takes up, it's really a deal breaker. Any one who reads this please be aware of this flaw with plasma's and choose yours carefully.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy /forum/post/15461250

I've never seen anything like this on either the Pioneer or Panasonic plasmas I own. Is your set one of the 1080i Hitachi plasmas?

Thanks for the heads up. I was certain that I was going to buy either a Panasonic or Pioneer but I got a great deal from a friend. He says he doesn't even notice it on his.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogeektoo /forum/post/15469896

Thanks for the heads up. I was certain that I was going to buy either a Panasonic or Pioneer but I listened to a friend who is an installer. He says he doesn't even notice it. Oh well I guess I'm picky.

What you are seeing was common on CRT sets because of the scanning but I have never seen this kind of thing on my plasmas. In fact, this is one of the things that I love about the plasmas. When I see white text movie credits against a black background, I just see the letters and the background and don't see the "shadows" (as you call them). I always saw them on CRT sets, including my old CRT-based RPTV. That's why I was wondering if this is one of the Hitachi 1080i sets and what you are seeing has something to do with that.

·
23,032 Posts
Looks awful. Could be ground loop problems. Disconnect the Sat feed cable from the wall. *Unplug* all electrical things on the same circuit except for Tivo and plasma and plug them directly into the wall socket (no extension cords, no surge protectors, etc). See what the Tivo intro video looks like, it's high quality SD. Also look at recorded HD if you have some.

larry

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Yeah, I've seen this on every plasma I've owned and also on CRTs. It's worse on CRTs than plasmas, in my experience. It's really not a big deal though. I really only see it on the green preview screen and even then it's extremely minor. It's probably last on my list of plasma issues that I'd like fixed.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
There are many possible causes of this problem. Voltage distortion caused by the display electronics can cause it and it may be only on certain inputs or all inputs. If severe, it is defective and needs servicing. It can also be a signal issue or even more likely a cable box or source component issue.

In my case it is mostly a signal and source component issue. I also do get very slight shadowing when using the VGA input as well so my display is also capable of inducing it.

I watch trailerama on HDNet and they show multiple green preview screens and only one of them had any shadowing which tells me the signal was an issue. Also, my PVR induces shadowing on SD signals for some reason. Even SD commercials on HD channels?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel /forum/post/15472638

I've seen that happen on my CRT HDTV too so it's not unique to plasma technology.

It's never happened on my sony Trinitron that had 1080p DVI input and I have used both DVD player and the HD Dtv DVR on that set and it looked phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/15472871

Looks awful. Could be ground loop problems. Disconnect the Sat feed cable from the wall. *Unplug* all electrical things on the same circuit except for Tivo and plasma and plug them directly into the wall socket (no extension cords, no surge protectors, etc). See what the Tivo intro video looks like, it's high quality SD. Also look at recorded HD if you have some.

larry

Did all of the above and still have the same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15474972

Yeah, I've seen this on every plasma I've owned and also on CRTs. It's worse on CRTs than plasmas, in my experience. It's really not a big deal though. I really only see it on the green preview screen and even then it's extremely minor. It's probably last on my list of plasma issues that I'd like fixed.

Than you are not as sensitive as I am or your set doesn't do what mine is doing. No offense but if you saw mine in person you would think it was the first problem.

can you see the dark line that is at the horizon of the green baseball field she's standing in front of in the first picture?

This part of the movie was a crane shot and as the crane came down that line across her chest moved from her neck all the way down her shirt.

I wish I knew how to put the pictures side to side in this thread but I'm not as capable as some. (any one want to explain how?) You can tell that the line has moved from her upper chest to her middle chest.

So any scene with any light background has that "shadow" or "bleed through" effect and it move with the scene. Very hard to not notice.

What I could really use is help on finding a thread that talks about why this happens or someone can post it here please. I'm in the process of returning the set and I would like to have some concrete info on why this is defective and not just a plasma quirk. because it's not. Just look at the pictures I have here and you can plainly see that no one would buy a set that does this.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Those aren't proper links you posted, they need to to be uploaded to web storage.

If the effect is really that bad (it's hard to tell in the pictures you posted earlier) then there is probably something wrong. Is your contrast really, really high?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15478530

Those aren't proper links you posted, they need to to be uploaded to web storage.

If the effect is really that bad (it's hard to tell in the pictures you posted earlier) then there is probably something wrong. Is your contrast really, really high?

Did you check out the new pics? I didn't realize how bad the other pics were until you mentioned it. Sorry.

I did turn the contrast down from 50 to 30 and it still happened. My retailer says it's no problem to take it back if it's defective. I would just like to show him that other people think it is too. I would hate to have a situation where he thinks I'm just picky which you can see by the new photos that I'm not.

Thanks for all the posts everyone. I really cant express how important AVS is. Please keep adding more info to this thread. Maybe someone can explain how this happens.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I guess I see what you're talking about but it doesn't seem that severe, honestly. Can you check out another Hitachi and the store and see if it acts the same way?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I see this on my Hitachi 50S602. Sometimes it's annoying, other times I can overlook it--and I'm a very picky viewer. I'd like to know if the effect is this pronounced on other brands.

I had considered Panasonic for my recent plasma purchase, but decided that the red push was just too much for me, and the 800U series with the THX setting was out of my price range. The Hitachi has terrific color and fine black levels, but I do see this artifact from time to time.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogeektoo /forum/post/15478480

It's never happened on my sony Trinitron that had 1080p DVI input and I have used both DVD player and the HD Dtv DVR on that set and it looked phenomenal.

I have seen it on my Sony Trinitron CRT HDTV. Although from what you're describing your issue seems more severe I never noticed this during video, on my Sony CRT HDTV it was only visible when using my computer on it when I would have windows on the screen the windows would have shadows, and on my Panasonic plasma I've only ever noticed shadows in the grey pillarboxes the HDTV displays on the sides when watching 4:3 SD content. Since someone else with a Hitachi sees the same thing the severity of the shadows on your set looks like it's just the brand using cheap components.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts