Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds crazy, but I look into my CRT's and it looked

like a few little spiderwebs were actually IN the CRT's. I just

assumed it was dust, so I removed the RED crt only to find NO

dust on the other side. These (few) little things that resemble

snow flakes are on the INSIDE. They are NOT burns. It almost

looks like something that may have occured from condensation.

I have not set the projector up yet, but am very nervous about

this potential (maybe??) problem. I spoke with RUNCO and they

said you probably won't even notice it on the screen. The projector in question is a Runco 980 Ultra. I really would appreciate some feedback on this since I will have a guy coming next week to calibrate and converge from top to bottom. Thanks

in advance!!

D

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
I'd be with Runco on this one. Run it and see if you can see it. If not, I would not worry about it.

Curt

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I fell MUCH more confident hearing that from you Curt. BTW- I was wondering how much it would cost me to

(eventually) retube the unit. Do you sell tubes both new and

rebuilt?? Thanks!!

D

·
Registered
24 Posts
on that note, I have an ECP 3000 with a red tube that has what loohs like condensation on the inside of the tube. I pulled the lens expecting to be able to wipe it off... but no luck, so I have two vertical stripes on either side of the raster that are are defocused...

Sean

·
Registered
89 Posts
It sounds like fungus molds! I have couple of them too! Don't intend to to anything about it right now! Any opinion?

·
Registered
89 Posts
It sounds like fungus molds! I have couple of them too! Don't intend to to anything about it right now! Any opinion?

·
Registered
181 Posts
From what you described, it sounds like your lens has been affected by fungus mould, a phenomenon we photographers sometimes (to our great horror) found on our camera lenses. It's usually the result of extended exposure of coated lenses to high humidity.

I don't know the solution regarding projector lenses, but the usual way of removing this from camera lenses is to send the lenses back to the authorized repair centre for cleaning.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
This is aluminum oxide buildup in the cooling fluid which is deposited on the glass. Do a search on 'fungus' on how to get rid of it. Time consuming but a relatively simple process.

Curt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.