AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a budget and considering the Mitsubishi HC5000BL and the JVC DLA-RS1. As far as screens, I'm considering a fixed 16:9 123 inch (60 x 107) Stewart G3 (1.25 gain), Stewart SST (1.1 gain) or Vutec Silver Star (6.0 gain). My desire is to install the largest screen possible while maintaining good picture quality and brightness. I don't like dim washed out projections and I can't have a dark room most of the time (TV viewing with small children - see details below). I'm going for more of a media room than a true theater room.

Projector Central calculations: Using the project central calculator I produced the following numbers: (first number is foot lambers on the screen the second is the ambient candle light allowable)

- JVC, G3 14fl / 2 fc, SST 13fl / 2 fc, SilverStar 70fl / 8 ambient fc

- Mitsubishi, G3 10fl / 1 fc, SST 9fl / 1 fc, SilverStar 50fl / 6 ambient fc

Throw minimums for projectors and screens: I'm near the limit of both projectors minimum Throw, but OK. The G3 screen states a minimum Throw distance of 1.6 times the screen width. Given my desired screen width is 107 inches, the recommend Throw is 172 inches. I'll have a Throw of 156 inches which is 16 inches short of minimum. It appears the G3 will not work for me. The SST screen states a minimum Throw distance of 1.4 times the screen width. Given my desired screen width is 107 inches, the recommend Throw is 150 inches. I'll have a Throw of 156 inches which is 6 inches better than minimum. I can't find Throw minimums on the Vutec. I've placed a call to tech support.

Viewing habits and content: We'll have the recessed lights (above the seating area) on between 30 and 100 percent brightness and the French doors open as we watch TV. Watching movies we'll have the seating lights on between 0 and 40 percent and at times the doors will be closed and drapes on the French doors closed. I'm predicting we'll spend most of our time watching HD TV vs. movies. Content sources will include just about everything (stand def TV to HD TV, Blue ray & HD DVD discs, laser discs, Xbox 360 & PS3, etc.)

Room details: The room is 7 foot 10 inches tall, 14 foot wide and 21 feet in length (front to back). I'll have two rows of seats. One at the back of the room and the second will have viewer's heads just over 13 feet from the screen when sitting. I am planning to mount the projector from the ceiling. I have a soffit protruding down over the back row of the seating area that will limit the back of the projector case to 14 feet 8 inches from the screen. That would place the front of the JVC projector at 13 feet and the Mitsubishi at 13 feet 4 inches. I also have a support beam that crosses left to right half-way between the projector and screen. The bottom of this support beam is at 7 feet 5 inches. This is forcing the top of the projector to roughly 7 feet three inches. The back row of seating is on a raised 8 inch platform and under the soffit so moving the projector back further under the soffit would create a walking hazard to anyone over five nine. The screen wall and ceiling will be flat black. The side walls will be a flat darker grayish taupe. The floor will be a deep burgundy.

Lighting details: The room has no windows, but does have a double French door entrance from another room. The door is located in the middle of the wall to the right of the seating area when viewing. Outdoor lighting coming through the French doors either opened or closed would be minimal especially as the day progresses. The windows are on the eastern side of the house and shaded by a 22 foot overhanging deck. All external windows are perpendicular to the French doors and not visible at all from the screen area. The front third of the room with the screen will have no lights on when viewing. The middle and back third of the room will have two each respectively for a total of four recessed dimmable lights (say 90 watt bulbs). The electronics are in a rack with a tinted door and should pose no lighting issues.

Electronics details: I'm planning to feed all inputs to the projector through a receiver with HDMI 1.3. I'm leaning toward the new Denon unless Yamaha (my preferred receiver) gets a unit to market. I'm not an Onkyo fan at all.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Your room criteria sounds very close to what I wanted. I started off wanting an ambient lit viewing experience and was pleasantly surprised it can be done and it will yield fantastic results when the lights are turned down also.

My advice runs contrary to many here but there is no substitution in this situation for Lumens and lots of them. CR of even the highest Lumen projectors is reasonable now a days and ambient light will eat away the highest CR numbers of a low lumen theater projector in no time. It's about maintaining CR more so that buying it IMHO. The draw back to large screens and high lumen projectors is most of the commercial screens are designed around gains above one and lighter outward shades of white. That's the reason I went the DIY route with my screen projector setup.

Well that's my two cents for what that's worth. And below in my signature I have several threads about the things I have done in my humble media room to be able to watch a huge image with at least normal living room light levels and still maintain good PQ.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply bud!

Update to my situation:

I found a dealer in my area yesterday that had the 123" silverstar screen. I think I'm sold... It was beautiful and ambient light wasn't a problem as I had feared. Plus, the dealer is willing to cut me a significant deal on his demo screen because he's about to remodel.

Anyony else outthere have any thoughts???

It appears the Silverstar is the only screen that will give me a decent picture with ambient light. It also seems to couple well with the JVC unit which has a native 15K to 1 contrast ratio and lower lumens.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.