AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an new Samsung DLP and just purchased a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor HDTV antenna for over the air high-def broadcasts (Cable company is brining my hi-def box next week for several channles they are carrying).

Set up the antenna and hooked it into Antenna B coax on the back of the tv. Switched tv channels around and only was able to get one chanel (local Fox). BTW I am in Coral Springs, FL.

Ran a channel scan on the TV and it didn't locate any others. Two questions:

1. Do I need an OTA tuner in addition to the antenna?

2. WIll I only get reception on the tv when there is a hi-def broadcast?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't believe the Samsung DLP has an ATSC tuner built in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It should only tune NTSC analog stations.

You need an external OTA ATSC tuner to receive OTA digital channels. You will connect it to the component inputs in order to receive 1080I broadcasts.

·
Registered
644 Posts
the samsung doesn't have a digital tuner, so yes, you need to get one. after you connect the tuner, you should get reception all the time, even if it's not hd. when it's not hd, it's still in digital, so you'll see whatever you'd see on the analog stations.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
keep the antenna and get an OTA receiver?

My cable company, Advanced Cable, is offereing 5 or 6 channels (ESPN HD, HDNet, HBO, etc.) in HD starting next week. They are coming Monday to exchange my current cable box for the HD one.

My question is, don't I still need and OTA tuner to receive "regular channel" HD broadcasts (network...like the Super Bowl and West Wing, etc.)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Assuming your cable co. doesn't offer your HD locals, and assuming the cable box doesn't have a built-in OTA tuner, yes you will need a seperate OTA tuner to receive your locals in HD i.e. CBS and the Superbowl.

Charles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.