AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I have had more than a ton of help in the other sections, and I am very grateful. I am building a little HT and have already decided on my speakers and sub, and will need some expert help on picking a receiver.

I will be getting 5 Paradigm 330's and an Epik Caliber sub. My TV for now is an old 60" Grand Wega, but after I lick my wounds for a couple of months I will likely spring for a front projector. I would like to stay at around $1000 or less if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Yamaha RX-V1800 may fit into your price/needs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I did look at the onkyo 805, and have been trying to read through the thread (man, is it long), and I was thinking that for under $700 delivered it was a good deal, but then I was reading about overheating issues. I plan to have all of my components in a closet, behind the tv, and worry about what I have been reading.

I have not checked out the Yamaha yet, but will certainly do so. Any thoughts on the pioneer VSX-91TXH?

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley Dotes /forum/post/12930386

Thanks guys.

I did look at the onkyo 805, and have been trying to read through the thread (man, is it long), and I was thinking that for under $700 delivered it was a good deal, but then I was reading about overheating issues. I plan to have all of my components in a closet, behind the tv, and worry about what I have been reading.

I have not checked out the Yamaha yet, but will certainly do so. Any thoughts on the pioneer VSX-91TXH?

What overheating issues? Yes the unit runs hot and so does my PS3. I think there may have been a few people around here that fried their 805, but you need to take that into perspective considering how many of these units have sold. The 805 thread is over 10,000 posts long and I would be willing to bet that more 805's have been sold than any other comparable receiver (which cost almost twice as much as the 805). The heat issue has been completely blown out of proportion by folks on this forum that don't even own an 805, let alone auditioned one. It is too bad because this receiver is more than worth the price of admission all things considered. Is it perfect, no, but what current HDMI 1.3 receiver is?

Go pick one up at your local store and see for yourself. If it is too hot, take it back and increase your budget to get something else comparable.

You can't go wrong with the Yamaha, Pioneer or Denon receivers either. You will just pay more money for the same features and a weaker amp section.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Johsti, as I said, I am still reading through the thread. It is just a little disconcerting when that is the first thing I read. I suspect any electronic equipment will heat up, and get hotter the longer it is in use, however, is there any real danger of blowing out the receiver? Also, I saw a couple of posts about sync issues, and am trying to understand this also. This is my first step into an integrated system, and I very much appreciate everyone's advice and patience.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
The Denon 2808 and Marantz 7002 are a couple of other options in that class and price range. I have a Denon 3805, which I love, although it lacks HDMI. The 2808 only has two HDMI inputs. The 3808 has more along with some other features that you may or may not want. And, of course, a bigger price tag. I've never heard Marantz, which generally gets strong reviews for music. Their receivers lack some of the bells and whistles you see on other AVRs.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty /forum/post/12937413

Heat kills - not just as a "blowing out" but also by diminishing the average lifespan.

As you stated in a different thread about the Onkyo 605, heat is indeed bad for electronic components. But, where is the proof that the 805 runs excessively hot? As johsti stated earlier, Onkyo has sold a LOT of receivers and is quite popular here at AVS. I find any suggestion that Onkyo products have more heat problems than others to be unfounded. A few scattered complaints on an internet forum website do not equate to a design defect.

I would say that installing any AVR in an enclosed space with other heat generating components is a reason to take special care. As I recommended in a similar thread, buy the Onkyo, then take the money you save and spend some of it on ensuring good ventilation in our AV rack space.

Don't let FUD influence your decision.

·
Registered
538 Posts
one word of advise . dont buy anything that will not do lossless audio . master hd audio formats are the holly grail of hometheater make no mistake about that. ok i run a integra 9.8 it runs warm but it states that it is going to . it has something like 5 chip sets in it . the chip sets run hot just like your home pc no matter what brand it is . if you are going to be putting your electronics in a closet you better vent it put a fan in the back of the rack and blow the hot air out . this can be done very cheap . is this in a basement? if so you could run a bathroom exaust fan in the other section so you cant hear it . i for one am surprised none of the companies are running fans on the new rec. i am thinking about getting a 12v super quite pc fan and running a 12v power supply to run a fan on the rec. its easy you can pick up a 12v supply from radio shack you may have one laying around the house plug it into the switched outlet on the rec and run it to the fan that way its only on when the rec is on .i had to do this on my denon when i was running 4 ohm pseakers on it to keep the heat sinks cool worked perfect.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve morgan /forum/post/12937998

one word of advise . dont buy anything that will not do lossless audio . master hd audio formats are the holly grail of hometheater make no mistake about that. ok i run a integra 9.8 it runs warm but it states that it is going to . it has something like 5 chip sets in it . the chip sets run hot just like your home pc no matter what brand it is . if you are going to be putting your electronics in a closet you better vent it put a fan in the back of the rack and blow the hot air out . this can be done very cheap . is this in a basement? if so you could run a bathroom exaust fan in the other section so you cant hear it . i for one am surprised none of the companies are running fans on the new rec. i am thinking about getting a 12v super quite pc fan and running a 12v power supply to run a fan on the rec. its easy you can pick up a 12v supply from radio shack you may have one laying around the house plug it into the switched outlet on the rec and run it to the fan that way its only on when the rec is on .i had to do this on my denon when i was running 4 ohm pseakers on it to keep the heat sinks cool worked perfect.

Here's another solution: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556081258.html

Other companies have these as well; it is pretty convenient to get a quiet PC fan with an AC cord ready to plug in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again guys.

Yes, this will be in my basement, and the closet that the AV components will be in is either going to be 4'x4' or 15'x5'....Thanks to your advice, and now that may brain his decided to come out of temporary hibernation, I think I will use the 15'x5'. I can vent it outside, and it will have enough room, and will probably be easier to access.

So, basically, I should have a fan, and the very worst that it would do would be prolong the life of the components? Sounds good to me. Thanks for the advice. I did not think that so much heat would be created that it could damage something, and the idea of a bathroom fan is excellent.... Now, if I could only get my electrician back here!

·
Registered
538 Posts
you may think this is funny to but if you have that much room you could buy a window fan . ya i know but they move alot of air and on low are very very quiet

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it is a great idea, but the only problem with that idea is keeping the outdoors out. If I can find one that has slats that open and closed, then I think it would be a great idea!!!
And, since there is an outlet (all the outlets in my basement are covered by a gfi) I don't have to wait for the electrician......the downside is, I still need him to run the bx from my panel to the wall! lmao. Many thanks again!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just read a review of the 805 (really excellent, and very informative and helpful) and it mentions that if the receiver is set to 4 ohms, when it should be set for 6(8), it will run really hot. Since I don't know what the difference would be, and I am so new and ignorant, is it possible that this is the cause of people's complaints with the receiver (that they have set to the incorrect level)? And, if so, is it easy to make that mistake, or will I be able to properly set up the reciever without worrying about over heating it because I did not set it up properly.....or, am I completely off course?

I am set to order the 805, as I have tried to find something comparable, and as so many of you have mentioned, nothing comes close without spending a lot more, even some of the alternatives mentioned. I just want to be sure that I don't make some newbie mistake and end up frying something.....so, I figure I should ask questions first, even if they are dumb questions.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley Dotes /forum/post/12951282

I just read a review of the 805 (really excellent, and very informative and helpful) and it mentions that if the receiver is set to 4 ohms, when it should be set for 6(8), it will run really hot. Since I don't know what the difference would be, and I am so new and ignorant, is it possible that this is the cause of people's complaints with the receiver (that they have set to the incorrect level)? And, if so, is it easy to make that mistake, or will I be able to properly set up the reciever without worrying about over heating it because I did not set it up properly.....or, am I completely off course?

Ohms have to do with resistance. 4 ohm speakers offer less resistance and it takes more power to drive them. More power = more heat. Using 4 ohm speakers with a receiver designed for 6 or 8 is certainly a preoblem. But, I believe the heat issues reported with Onkyos happen with 8 ohm speakers as well. If you have too much heat, get a fan.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BIslander,

Thanks for the info. I think I will have some kind of fan/exhaust system set up in the room where are my equipment will be, I just was afraid of making some kind or mistake and frying something, or burning something out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No direct experience with Onkyo other than the hearsay already mentioned; however, I did audition the Elite 91.

I did not keep it.

It was very difficult to make it sound good and even then, it was still a little bright for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, by itself it sounds quite alright, but when switching back and forth between it and a Denon or a Marantz it is very obviously bright. I fear that with the Paradigms it is going to sound even brighter than usual, just due to the natural sound of the speakers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks cansp6. Do you think the 805 will make them sound too brite, or the elite91? I wish I could use different speakers, but that is why I am going with a really good sub (epik caliber) and also why I am trying to pick an appropriate receiver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts