AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am torn. i mounted the 42" LCD vizio a few days ago and was happy. that said, i read a lot of posts here and now i am doubting my purchase...even after my other post the other day.

i was just BJs today and they have a 510 series 40" for only $200 or so more.

questions...

1. Will the Samsung be "better" than the Vizio? In what ways?

2. Will i notice the difference in 2" smaller size?

i'm not sure if i am just being a name brand snob or if the Samsung is the far better choice despite the pretty equal specs.

the thing i have noticed about the new Vizio (compared to my 50" LCD Sony Bravia) is that the Vizio is REALLY A LOT BRIGHTER! although, the Bravia is 2.5 yrs old so maybe it's a lamp issue?

thoughts? thanks!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
When you go to a big box store like BJs or Best Buy, do you notice a significant difference betweent the sets on display? You likely see one or two that are obviously not set up properly, but with those that are working properly you won't see a significant difference in the picture quality.

Part of this is because these sets are on torch mode for display, so they are being shown at their brightest, but not their best. Part of it is because they all generate a great image, with the differences being very minor.

You obviously liked the Vizio image when you bought it. Has that opinion changed since bringing it home?

Samsung makes great sets, but unless you are missing a feature on your current set that the new one has, I doubt you'll see $200 difference in the picture quality.

Whatever set you bring home will be outdated in 6 months (max) anyway.

If you're happy with the Vizio, I'd spend the extra $200 on things that will make it shine - Blu Ray, HD Cable, etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/16988095

When you go to a big box store like BJs or Best Buy, do you notice a significant difference betweent the sets on display? You likely see one or two that are obviously not set up properly, but with those that are working properly you won't see a significant difference in the picture quality.

Part of this is because these sets are on torch mode for display, so they are being shown at their brightest, but not their best. Part of it is because they all generate a great image, with the differences being very minor.

You obviously liked the Vizio image when you bought it. Has that opinion changed since bringing it home?

Samsung makes great sets, but unless you are missing a feature on your current set that the new one has, I doubt you'll see $200 difference in the picture quality.

Whatever set you bring home will be outdated in 6 months (max) anyway.

If you're happy with the Vizio, I'd spend the extra $200 on things that will make it shine - Blu Ray, HD Cable, etc.

I agree with this post. If you're happy with the set keep it and put the extra money towards other things. Unless there's something obviously wrong with it. The best thing you could probably do is stop second guessing and enjoy your new TV.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i ended up getting the Samsung today. i went back to BJs and the picture was just awesome. i noticed that the 1 thing i disliked about the Vizio was that it was really bright and lacked contrast. then i read that the contrast ratio was 15K:1 versus the Samsung's 60K:1. i know that's just a "tech" thing, but i noticed it first and then read it...hence, it clearly bothered me. that, and it's dumb, but i could not stand the illuminated Vizio emblem.

i also read that Vizio parts were harder to get.

all in all, there was just too many "cons" and so i paid the extra $200 or so and lost 2". but, so far, i am very pleased.

feel free to chime in here and thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts