AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents,

I've been reading the forums and have narrowed down my selection for home theater, and had a few questions on what the experts think about the decisions I have tentatively made. To start, it is a living room set up in an open 2200 sqft condo. The living room/ dining room and kitchen are all one large long room, about 20 by 40 ft with tile floor and lots of natural light. I'm getting a 60 inch sharp LED tv and have (as of now) decided to go with a Pioneer VSX 1020-K receiver, that I found on Amazon for $238.00 new. I think I want to go with the 250 watt 12 Lavasub for around $300, and I think I've been impressed by the reviews I've seen on the Infinity Primus speakers, and it looks like I can get two bookshelf, center, and two towers for around $5 or 600 new off of Amazon. I would really like to go with Aperion, but I don't have the extra cash right now for that. I would like to keep the speaker cost around $500 total.

However, can I use the Primus speakers for movies and surround sound? The reviews I've read have raved about their quality for music, but will it work as well for movies? I would like the setup to provide good music quality throughout the whole living/dining/kitchen area if possible, so I wasn't sure if I should go with a HTIB set up. I'm also concerned about putting together such a motely crue set of brands, would I be better off sticking with just one brand? If anyone has any advice about cost, good deals (I'm currently active duty military so I may be able to get some discounts via that route also), quality, # of speakers, anything at all, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again, and I'm really looking forward to putting together a quality home theater witth some help!

P.S. I'm not too concerned with size, just style somewhat I guess, I can mount on the wall or there is room behind the couch and next to tv for floor standing.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
241 Posts
Avoid htib at all cost. I just can't reccomend them. The most important thing to building a good home theater system is to make sure your front three speakers match (same brand, same model), along with an awesome subwoofer. Spending the most money in these areas will give you the best result.

I can't comment on the Pioneer receiver but I've owned Lava subwoofer and the Infinity Primus. Shop and compare online to see which stores offers the best deal. Infinity Primus is an excellent buy if you can buy them at a good price. I enjoy them for both music and movies. For me, Infinity Primus have a neutral sound, I can listen for hours without getting a head ache.

The Lava subwoofer are decent performer in it's price range. IMO, it's better for music than movie. You can get a discount, just email costumer service requesting a AVS member discount. If you are looking for something to hit you in the gut and knock your socks off, look elsewhere.

Save your money and buy your wires, connectors, and HDMI at monoprice.com and you are ready to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply, what do you think of the lavasub vs. one of the primus sub's? Also, I've been reading reviews on the Pioneer 1020 receiver, and it seems that a lot of people have had quality control issues with it burning out after a short time, same thing with the primus subwoofer, can anyone verify those issues?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts