AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 30hr Panasonic. Been using for a year. Had 20-25 of saved and reserved recordings.

- Started recording a show and froze with a blank screen and the message of " has begun recording [red dot]".

- Could not pull up Replay guide or menu or anything.

- Could not turn off with remote or front panel power switch.

- pulled the plug for a minute.

- plugged back in

- Hit Reply Guide and nearly passed out....EVERYTHING IS GONE!

- Channels, connection settings and such are still intact...just Replay Guide seems to have been lost or affected.

Biggest losses:

- Sept 11 CNBC coverage from 7am-10am EST

- Fox Sept 11 coverage from 10am-11am EST

- Rather's 6pm EST CBS broadcast

- Farrah's latest ditzy appearance on Dave

- not mention last week's Survivor, Friends, Will & Grace, SNL, etc

Anyway....couple questions:

1. Is my data really gone? Is there any recovery I can do? Does it require a hack? (I have begun to record other things again.)

2. If everything is gone, does anyone have the Sept 11 footage? I was planning on doing an edit of the footage set to some different music, etc.

Thanks much for any help you can provide. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Dallas Pesola

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
sorry to hear about that..

you can hook up your replay drive to your PC and 'extract' the files using flip flop's program

other than that i don't know of any way to get to the programs

for future reference if it locks up you should first try to reboot it by holding down the power button on the front of the replay for 6 seconds until it reboots

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you saying the data is still there, but the space will be overwritten if I continue to use as is and build a new Replay Guide?

If that is true, then I can get off the mpegs and store them somewhere else? or can I fix and rebuild what I had?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
i've never used the extract_rtv, but i would imagine that the more you do with the hard drive the more programs will be overwritten

hopefully either flipflop or someone else can jump in here...but i know these programs can be extracted to your PC's hard drive & watched there...i don't know if anyone has been able to transfer them back to the replay

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
here's a quote from justmike explaining what probably happened:

Quote:
the ReplayTV sanity-checks its data structures at startup, and if it finds unrecoverable corruption, it deletes them and starts fresh. You lose your recordings, but you have a working box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If that is what has truely happened, then I guess I might as well take the time to learn how to swap in a new maxtor or do that dual drive thing.

Such a bummer....never realized how important data really is, be it text or be it dv.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I use a laptop top prep drives for upgrade?

I only have a Compaq Armada M700 with WIN2000. Can I still do a single or double drive upgrade?

Thanks,

Dallas

·
Registered
849 Posts
Probably not. You have to hook up two standard IDE drives. Unless you have a full docking station or something, laptops normally don't support IDE drives.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something weird just happened. I have nothing scheduled to record and just tried to set a guaranteed recording of King of Queens on CBS and I received a conflict warning saying I already had it schedule. But I don't. I wonder if my data is still there somehow. odd.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
dallas,

a laptop will not work for the upgrade since you need an IDE controller

as for the phantom channel... the ReplayTV FAQ has some info, you can also look through this thread has some ideas

unless you have recorded quite a bit of stuff you might want to do a factory reset (hit 7-7-7 then the replay-zones button on the remote), keep in mind this will wipe everything out - shows, recordings and your setup info

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dallas Pesola
Something weird just happened. I have nothing scheduled to record and just tried to set a guaranteed recording of King of Queens on CBS and I received a conflict warning saying I already had it schedule. But I don't. I wonder if my data is still there somehow. odd.
Search for 'phantom' as in phantom conflicts and you will see various threads on that topic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Laptops have IDE controllers and do support IDE drives!!! The only problem is that the drives used in latops, have different form factor 2.5", run on 5 volts, and use 44-pin IDE connector (40 "normal" pins + 5v power + ??). All of this can be solved with a proper adapter and external 12V power suply to power Replay drive, but it's probably not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
i've never used the extract_rtv, but i would imagine that the more you do with the hard drive the more programs will be overwritten
Yes! You can extract the shows with extract_rtv. It's a bit of a hassle (since you're extracting deleted items), but it can be done.

I had a similar situation a few months ago. After a power outage, the Replay came back on and all the shows were missing. I immediately connected the drive to the computer and extracted what I could.

You might find that some of the shows are unrecoverable, though. While I'm not positive, I think a few of the shows I had recorded weren't visible to extract_rtv. The less you use the drive, the better the chance you'll be able to recover your recordings.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Same thing happened to me one time. Replay froze and I managed to reboot by holding the power button down. When it came up, every thing was gone. shows, channels everything. Tech told me I should have just pulled the plug and waited for about 10 mins and then I would have had a better chance of keeping everything.

Its never happened again, so take it for what its worth. Sorry, can not be of more help.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pofig37
Laptops have IDE controllers and do support IDE drives!!! The only problem is that the drives used in latops, have different form factor 2.5", run on 5 volts, and use 44-pin IDE connector (40 "normal" pins + 5v power + ??). All of this can be solved with a proper adapter and external 12V power suply to power Replay drive, but it's probably not worth the trouble.
That's why I said "standard IDE" which they obviously do not have.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Dallas, if you need help with this I'm somewhat local and I have had a similar experience. It's a bit tought to figure out what to do with the streams once they are extracted, but I've been making DVD-R's.

Partition 2 should still be intact if you have not recorded any new stuff. I'm not sure where the temp files go, but I'm sure it on that partition.

The descriptions and the your listings were kept on partition 1, which can be restored by the replay if needed, the problem is that the recorded show info is gone, so the replay thinks the partition 2 is empty.

You most likely won't be able to get the data back on to the replay. But if you got a spare 30 GB drive, we can get it onto a PC for you.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
PS I'm not sure, but I don't think the factory reset did anything. I'd disconnect the replay ASAP and see what you got still.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm... Jeff, I might need your help.

By the way, I have setup my Reply Guide again and have recorded a few shows...hopefully I didn't write over the footage I am after.

Thanks,

Dallas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
That's why I said "standard IDE" which they obviously do not have.
You said: "laptops normally don't support IDE drives" and then someone said "a laptop will not work for the upgrade since you need an IDE controller".

Again, laptops have "standard" IDE controllers and laptops drives are IDE. The only difference is a small form factor connector. To use a "standard IDE" drive you all you need is a $10 adapter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.