Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking this great AVS forum for quite a while. At first, I wanted to buy a $200-300 HTIB systems like Onkyo s570 or Yamaha YHT-150. But now, I want to put together a receiver and speakers for ~ $500 price range. Please help me decide.

I come up with these choices:

Paradigm Cinema 70 $375

Polk RM6750 $325

Athena Micra 6 $290

I plan to get a refurb. Denon AVR-485 at $175

Which combination would be the most appropriate choice?

I've only listened to the Paradigm, I think it's great, but it's from my NuBee standpoint.

Please help me... Thank you very much! :)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Energy's factory-direct store is having a clearance on their Take 5 speaker system in white:

http://www.audioprods.com/clearance_energy/index.php?cPath=41_49

It's $200 for the package and you can get one of those $99 Dayton subs that everyone recommends for budget systems. I think this combination would be better than the ones you listed.

Only thing is that these are white, which may actually be a good thing but it depends on your situation...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I started out with the Paradigm Cinema 70 system several years ago. If your putting it in a small to med sized room it will do a pretty decent job.

I think they are a good starter set-up and will be a much better choice over a HTiB system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, Thank you LeeLee for your alternative suggestion

I did some price research.. I can get the:

Take 5 + Dayton 10" sub for $360 shipped

And I also found this Onkyo SKS-HT240 that got a decent review from Cnet

====================

So now we have:

Paradigm Cinema 70 $375

Polk RM6750 $325

Athena Micra 6 $290

Take 5 + Dayton 10" Sub $360

Onkyo SKS-HT240 $360

====================

What do you guys think? Is it much better to get Take 5? I have no clue... I'ma NuBEe

I live in the apartment, will it gonna work with those set up above?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if I've made a good choice, but today I got these speakers (on sales) from Fry's

Polk R50 $120/pair

and

Polk R15 $50 /pair

So... now I'm waiting for a good deal on Polk center speaker (can be bought at $80) and a Dayton 10" sub ($100+20 shipping)

So I'll own this set for $380-400

Add the Refurbished Denon AVR-485 for $160 and I should be ready to go!

What do you think? I just shifted my interest from satellite to a bookshelf and floorstand, is it the same or is it better?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Great deal. I think you'll be very pleased. If you hook into those sales prices, don't look over your shoulder. I love mine. If you can't get the CSi25 from Frys on sale for $100, keep checking ebay. There's usually about 20 centers available. The best matches are CS1, CSi30 or CSi3. Prices range from ~ $100 -$140. Sometimes you get lucky.

Let me know how you like them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I started out with the Paradigm Cinema 70s. I have used them in my last two apartments (which the neighbors appreciate). I have been really happy with them. I think they sound very good if you have a small to medium size living room. I recommend the following for a starter system:

front - Cinema 70s (with stands)

center - Cinema CC

surrounds - Cinema ADPs

This may be a little over what you plan to pay, but I believe you should spend a little more up front so you don't regret it in the long run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.