AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off le tme say that , we have never been able to understand clearly , or should I say distinguish the dialouge from movies.

So I bought a new reciever, i bought the 1015 vsx pionner,

I noticed a improvement in sound, but still wasnt satisfied with the dialouge

now i know on this reciever that there is the dialouge enhancement feature, but its not part of the true soundtrack , so i dont like to use it.

I also have a crown xls 602 amp which powers my center speaker, i only use one channel to power the center, so the center channel is 370 watts

im starting to think that it is my speakers is whats keeping me from hearing dialouge clearly ,

you can hear dialouge on my system, but when they are whispering , you have to turn it up really loud and then its too loud during actions scenes, and I LIKE LOUD STUFF, yet its stil too loud.

so can yo uguys hook me up with a good center speaker that will handle the 370 watts

or i could use the 602 to power the fronts and just use the 110 watts from the reciever, if there isnt a center speaker that can handle the 370 watts.

current speakers are cerwin vega 3 way tower speakers. model v-12f

again ive heard people say over and over they have no problems hearing dialouge from their system with this reciever, so it has to be my speakers

they sound , good for the left and right channel , but for my center channel , its jus tnot working I dont think

because the crown xls 602 is supposed to be a GREAT amp

·
Registered
80 Posts
I personally think you should use the 602 for the fronts and use the 110w from the receiver as the center channel.

Ideally you would use the same speaker brand as you have for your fronts.

Does Cerwin Vega make center channels?

You didn't describe your set up either and where exactly you would be putting this center channel and you didn't state how far you sit away from your speakers.

If you decide to use the 602 for the center....it probably can handle it but I always feel it is good to put a crossover on smaller type speakers to eliminate the chance of too much bass and blowing out of those smaller speakers.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not WANTING LITTLE dinky speakrs

im wanting soemthing that can handle volumne and power

thats why i went with floor standing speakers , those cerwin vegas, i can turn them up real loud and they dont distort or anything

i have a 7.1 set up.

cerwin vega v-12 towers for the front left, right, and center,

and then for the rest i have a cerwin vega subwoofer, and 4 pioneer satellites which will be replaced in the future

cerwin vega makes center channels yes, but they are tiny and cheap ,

im wanting something that is notoriously known for being a good center channel.

i sit at about 14 feet from my front speakers.

its not that we cant hear the dialouge its just in order to hear it clearly and without having to ask (what did they say again ) you have to turn it up really really loud. to the point wher epeople leave the house during a movie lol

the floor standing speakrs jus thave a tweeter a 6.5 midrange, and a 12 sub, (my speakers are set to smal)

ive seen some centers on the internet that had like 6 speakers in them

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtis_mcleskey
cerwin vega v-12 towers for the front left, right, and center, and then for the rest i have a cerwin vega subwoofer, and 4 pioneer satellites which will be replaced in the future
This is pretty optimal if you like those speakers. I suggest you check your setup/levels for center channel signals and/or upgrade all the speakers.

Kal

·
Registered
80 Posts
Only thing I can recommend is what I got. A Paradigm P Reference Center Channel. Has Two 5 1/4 mids and a tweeter. I had 200 watts going into it.

Since I move to a new house....the set up didn't allow me to use the Paradigm Center Channel any longer. I went with a much smaller JBL unit 3in mids and tweeter...probably one quarter of the size....dimension wise. Still sounds pretty good. The JBL unit is hidden behind a screen also in a cabinet.

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3Rod
Only thing I can recommend is what I got. A Paradigm P Reference Center Channel. Has Two 5 1/4 mids and a tweeter. I had 200 watts going into it.

Since I move to a new house....the set up didn't allow me to use the Paradigm Center Channel any longer. I went with a much smaller JBL unit 3in mids and tweeter...probably one quarter of the size....dimension wise. Still sounds pretty good. The JBL unit is hidden behind a screen also in a cabinet.
It will sound nothing like his C-Vs.

Kal

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok , i probably wont be getting this speakr for awhile but i would lik to know

i can get new front and left speakers no problem.

its just i want somethting thats good.

maybe ill look at a center channel cerwin vega

who knows , i may like it.

my aunt has a older model one , ill try hers out first and go from there

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh and m sound levels are correct

i use auto mcacc on my 1015 receiver

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
definitive CLR3000. This is a big senter channel. It also has a built in 10 inch powered subwoofer. Msrp 1000$.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
oh and m sound levels are correct

i use auto mcacc on my 1015 receiver

Not familiar with your receiver, but I'd bet that the equalization is such that its affecting voice clarity.

Would like to ask, where do you keep your center channel? Above the TV, below?? Is the TV in a corner?? (I'm thinking about low frequency amplification due to boundary gains)

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Quote:
first off le tme say that , we have never been able to understand clearly , or should I say distinguish the dialouge from movies.
I've struggled with this problem, and I think it's not uncommon. Here are some ideas I've gotten from others and that have worked for me:

(1) Help your ears to estimate the difficulty even better, as you experiment, by changing receiver settings back and forth from using no center (a "phantom center") to normal setting. If the dialog sounds better when you tell your receiver that you have no center, you've verified that the center is actually the problem. Also, you can play a movie in Dolby 2 channel surround and go back and forth between your receiver's stereo and surround modes.

(2) If your center speaker is above ear level, stick something under its rear edge to tilt it downward, or if it's below ear level, stick something under its front edge.

(3) Try changing the receiver's setting for the distance of the center speaker, not worrying too much about whether the distance is accurate.

(4) Get the center speaker further out into the room and away from walls or furniture on either side of it. Also try putting some absorbant material behind the center -- as an experiment, perhaps a blanket.

(5) Shop for a new center that has good specs for off-horizonal-axis frequency response (e.g., an Axiom speaker).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here is an idea. Since your crown amp is only useing one channel. Why not try 2 of the Cerwin Vega centers stacked. Run a Y splitter to the crown amp, and from the amp use both channels, one for each center. Bye the way, the Cerwin Vega center I have seen has two, 6 and 1/2 inch mid range speakers apiece. More than adequate in size for dialogue.

You do not need size for dialogue. The Cerwin Vega is also very efficient. The efficiency of these should boost the dialogue while not boosting overall volume to any great extent.

Just my idea,

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I agree with John above. I've had many centers over the last 10 years. Some more expensive than the Rocket Bigfoot (200) Nothing I have had beats it so far. If you can handle it as it is big, its the way to go. No more up and down on the volume between dialog soft stuff and the loud explosions on movies... I love this center!

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you want a BIG center channel speaker with lots of volume and ability to handle power, take a look at the Pinnacle line of center speakers. I have a Pinnacle P5.5 center channel speaker and am very happy with it. A five driver array- four 5 1/4 woofers and a 1 inch tweeter; a huge behemoth- 32 1/2" Wide x 8 1/16" High x 9" Deep. 200 watts RMS, 35 pounds. Carries a full 10 year warranty from Pinnacle, and they've been around since the 70's so they don't seem to be going anywhere. Does a great job with movies. It carries a high MSRP but if you do a search on the web you can probably find it at a very reasonable price. I'd go so far as to say that when I do any replacing up front, I'll probably buy fronts that will match my center rather than the other way around- I like it that much. I'm sure it isn't for everyone but seems to be just what you're looking for since you're using floorstanders but don't like your smaller center option in the Cerwin Vega line.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Rocket RSC200 by AV123.....

50 Lbs

50 Hz

Stellar Vifa tweeters

Alum cones that are stable to very high decibels...

This bad boy goes LOUD and DEEP and accurate...

Man I love this speaker...

http://www.**********/products_produc...rs&product=6.1
I have to believe this is THE center channel to get. And while you're at it, get a couple more for use as the mains or put them all the way around if your HT room, amplification, and budget are big enough.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Since we're all bragging about our center channels of choice, I prefer the Atlantic Technology 8200 C. Two 8" woofers, two 5.25 Mids and one 1" silk dome tweeter.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/system_8200.htm

27" X 16" X 11.5"(WxHxD) 55 lbs. I wouldn't recommend putting it on top of your TV. :)

I think this speaker (and the system) was designed and built with the design goal of building the best speaker regardless of physical size compromise. It even has the sloped cabinet design to reduce standing waves. When analysing these speakers with my real time frequency analyzer, its response was ruler flat.

I had a really tough time finding anyone who has a set of these speakers that I could audition, and when I did, they weren't set up right. I had to buy a used one off of Audiogon just to get a decent audition in my home. Within a couple of minutes of hookup, it was obvious that this was the keeper. Accurate detailed sound without a bias to certain frequencies that fakes you into believeing that they're more detailed than they really are.

With this center channel speaker, the instances of what did they say has been reduced to almost non existant.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You may not like this answer, but part of your problem may be your sub and/or your mains as bmwm3rod suggested. Where a better cc may help w/ dialogue clarity, theres a good chance it won't have the same sound voicing as your cvs and may create other problems. At least try to listen to a movie w/ your sub at low levels if dialogue is much better part of your problem may be your sub. A good quick,tight sub, or a correctly placed and calibrated sub can improve dialogue in cc, believe or not :).

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Personally I suspect that those CV speakers are simply not up to the task of producing the subtle details of whispered dialog. CV speakers are good for rock music at high volumes because they have high efficiency, a boomy bottom end, and colorful highs.

That is, I don't think the OP needs to find a speaker that is "known for being a good center" as much as simply finding some speakers that are not horribly inaccurate as the CVs.

I strongly recommend that the OP borrow some more accurate speakers and give it a listen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.