AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my old 32" CRT to a DLP. My living room is where it will be watched. The room is approx 13x15x8 and we sit around 10 feet from the TV. I have about 1500-1800 to spend.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve /forum/post/0

I am upgrading my old 32" CRT to a DLP. My living room is where it will be watched. The room is approx 13x15x8 and we sit around 10 feet from the TV. I have about 1500-1800 to spend.

I found myself in a similar situation - my living room is 13x23x8 and we also sit about 10ft away After reading this board and many reviews I ordered a samsung HLS5687w for 1699 shipped from amazon. They are suppose to deliver it today. One of my factors in choosing this model was my PS3. My father has a sony kds50a2000 which is great set also but a bit out of my price range. My suggestion to you is to scan this forum and narrow it down to a few models then go the your local b&m to check the sets out. Finding the best deal was the easy part for me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyV /forum/post/0

I found myself in a similar situation - my living room is 13x23x8 and we also sit about 10ft away After reading this board and many reviews I ordered a samsung HLS5687w for 1699 shipped from amazon. They are suppose to deliver it today. One of my factors in choosing this model was my PS3. My father has a sony kds50a2000 which is great set also but a bit out of my price range. My suggestion to you is to scan this forum and narrow it down to a few models then go the your local b&m to check the sets out. Finding the best deal was the easy part for me.

Thanks. Do me a favor and let me know how satisfied you are when you receive yours.
I will be playing a lot of XBOX 360 and watching a ton of movies on mine as well.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts

Quote:

Thanks. Do me a favor and let me know how satisfied you are when you receive yours.
I will be playing a lot of XBOX 360 and watching a ton of movies on mine as well.

IMO, Samsung DLPs are the best choice for you since they are the only 1080p DLPs that accept 1080p inputs over component and VGA, not just HDMI (and your Xbox does ot currently offer HDMI output).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Jswerve. Are you stalking me from the CF site??? LOL!!

I have been researching a new TV for months, and have a Samsung 6187 on order right now. I dont claim to be an expert on this, but thought a friendly face might help. PM me on either site if I can answer specifics.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

Quote:

I am extremely happy with my 46" Samsung DLP purchase .

I bought it at CC just before Christmas for $1,350.00. The price has dropped to $1,200.00. I sit about 8 feet away and 46" is fine. You may want to try at least 50" at 10 feet but 46 might be fine too. Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
First off let me say that the driver was great. He helped me put it on my stand and fire it up. He knew a lot about these televisions since during christmas he delivered a bunch. He checked it out with me and even put the batteries in the remote.

The size for my room is perfect. 50 would be kind of small and 61 would be too big. I really do feel like I'm at the movies. I ran the cable thru my dvd recorder because it outputs 480p. the sd channels look surprisingly good and the dvds look fantastic. Can't wait till thurs for the cable guy or when blockbuster sends me some blu-ray movies.

So far the only shortcoming I've found is the sound. Its ok but not on par with the picture. I see a new sound system in my future.

I hope this helps - Mike

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCELL /forum/post/0

Hi Jswerve. Are you stalking me from the CF site??? LOL!!

I have been researching a new TV for months, and have a Samsung 6187 on order right now. I dont claim to be an expert on this, but thought a friendly face might help. PM me on either site if I can answer specifics.

Hey dude what's up. CF forum rules! Can't wait for next year. Thanks for the reply. Keep me posted on your TV when you get it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

IMO, Samsung DLPs are the best choice for you since they are the only 1080p DLPs that accept 1080p inputs over component and VGA, not just HDMI (and your Xbox does ot currently offer HDMI output).

Ok thanks Bill. So I need to consider only the models capable of 1080p which I believe are at least 50"?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm leaning toward the Samsung HLS5087W right now. I haven't seen one in person. I went around town today but nobody had one. I' going to have to drive to Best Buy in Ames to see one I think which is about 45 minutes away.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bump

·
Registered
16,165 Posts

Quote:

I'm leaning toward the Samsung HLS5087W right now. I haven't seen one in person. I went around town today but nobody had one. I' going to have to drive to Best Buy in Ames to see one I think which is about 45 minutes away.

You better call them first to make sure they have it on the floor.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

You better call them first to make sure they have it on the floor.

Yeah I will. I can go to Des Moines if they don't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the HL-S5087W. If you get one be sure to get the extended warranty at time of purchase. There have been a lot of us having problems with that set with the light tunnel collapsing. You can see the thread about shadows on the side of Samsungs. Anyways, a lot of us are going through a nightmare right now with these sets. When they are working they are awesome! When they are not dealing with Samsung customer service can be a real pain. Mine has been down since Thanksgiving and they may finally replace it with a new set next week.

Just a heads up, good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewayneB /forum/post/0

I have the HL-S5087W. If you get one be sure to get the extended warranty at time of purchase. There have been a lot of us having problems with that set with the light tunnel collapsing. You can see the thread about shadows on the side of Samsungs. Anyways, a lot of us are going through a nightmare right now with these sets. When they are working they are awesome! When they are not dealing with Samsung customer service can be a real pain. Mine has been down since Thanksgiving and they may finally replace it with a new set next week.

Just a heads up, good luck with your choice.

To be fair:

Out of hundreds of thousands of Samsung DLPs in service, there have been by my count about 20-30 reports on this forum about the mirrors in the light tunnels failing. Even if you multiply the number here by 10.....

I understand it is a major issue to those who are dealing with it, but lets maintain a bit of perspective regarding the #s here. Furthermore, the bulk of the failures I have read about have been HLRs, not HLS's . Im not trying to minimize anyones pain regarding this, and an extended warranty for a high dollar purchase isnt a bad idea in any case.

I have been researching DLPs for a long time now, and still say the Sammys are the best bang for the buck, light tunnels, pincushion, overscan be darned.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:

To be fair:

Out of hundreds of thousands of Samsung DLPs in service, there have been by my count about 20-30 reports on this forum about the mirrors in the light tunnels failing. Even if you multiply the number here by 10.....

I understand it is a major issue to those who are dealing with it, but lets maintain a bit of perspective regarding the #s here. Furthermore, the bulk of the failures I have read about have been HLRs, not HLS's . Im not trying to minimize anyones pain regarding this, and an extended warranty for a high dollar purchase isnt a bad idea in any case.

I have been researching DLPs for a long time now, and still say the Sammys are the best bang for the buck, light tunnels, pincushion, overscan be darned.

Thanks Redcell.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:

To be fair:

To be fair, only a small, small %age (definitely not one-tenth) of Samsung DLP owners come to this forum.

I would say the repair concerns are serious enough to warrant buying a reasonable EW (the TapesWorks Texas one here seems decently prcied). But I would also say that about any big-screen TV, not just the Samsungs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After a few days with the hls5687w I'm very happy. The gaming experience is so different - its like night and day.

Funny story - My wife was against getting a new tv but when ours died she gave in. "Christmas is over" was her mantra. After I ordered it she initiated a spending freeze until futher notice. We watched a dvd on the first night during which I mentioned with such a great picture its a shame that the sound is lacking. The next day I found a sony system (ht-ddw700) at circuitcity for 169.99 and showed her. She said sure, go get it. Its not on the level of the expensive sound systems but its a huge improvement and affordable.

To sum up - $1700 for the tv + $279 for the extended warranty =$1996.78 + $181.89 for the sound system after the sales pitch. My advice is to get the largest tv within your budget - you can always add a sound system later.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i'm trying to upgrade from a Samsung HC-R4755w cause I simply cannot tolerate the geometry issues and mis-convergence problems the tv has. The HL-S5087w sounds like it would be amazing and i'm extremely tempted to buy it since its in my price range, plus 1080p is quite nice, but it seems like too many people are experiencing problems with geometry. I've been researching for a while on this forum but cannot find a good answer cause this forum is HUGE lol, does every HL-S5087w have that pincushion problem in 4:3 mode or curve up at the sides in the corners, or will I get lucky? Is the purchase of this tv worth the risk you think? I've already seen it at the store and love the picture quality, but couldn't play with it to test 4:3 mode for any distortion. CNET also says this tv due to the nature of DLPs has Perfect Geometry, so i was confused.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I find that the viewing angle has a lot to do with the side bowing. If I sit directly in the front - I don't see it at all. If I sit off to the sides - the opposite side appears bowed slightly. I doesn't bother me but I've learned not to expect perfection from anything made by imperfect man. go to a b&m and have the salesman change the display size to 4:3 and check it out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.