AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All;

I need a new home theatre receiver, but I'd also settle for used from Ebay, or any other reasonable source. My wishlist may be a bit different compared to others. Here goes, and THANK YOU for any replies I may get.

1. I have 2 monitors, one Panny projector with screen, and one old CRT TV. I need 2 outs, so I'd like to have 2 HDMI outs (1.4 rated), and one set of component outs for the old TV. The second HDMI would be for a new replacement TV when the old one dies.

2. One or 2 sets of optical ins. This may be irrelevant if I use the HDMI ins, since this carries 5.1 audio data.

3. A phono input. This would be nice, but not critical, since I could use my pre-amp and normal (aux) input for the old LP's.

4. A switched 120VAC outlet. This is important, and getting tougher to find in modern receivers. I use my outlet on the back of my receiver to power a relay, which powers my subwoofer. Unfortunately my old sub is NOT auto-sensing, and it will remain on all the time unless I switch it off. The relay is a perfect solution, as it switches the sub off each time I turn off the receiver.

So, it's pretty obvious I have some old equipment, but is there a receiver that has most or all of the features I listed?

Thanks for any help.

Tom, Ottawa Canada.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I would recommend that you ditch the requirement for a 120v outlet on the back of the receiver, in favor of replacing your relay with one which can be triggered by a 12v connection.

Receiver manufacturers are reducing costs, and that rarely used item has gone to the wayside pretty much across the board. For that feature you may end up paying hundred of dollars more, when a 12v triggered relay may be all you really need.

Here is your $77 solution which eliminates the need for anything more than a 12v trigger on the receiver, which many receivers already have...
http://www.amazon.com/XANTECH-AC1-Controlled-AC-Outlet/dp/B000NU0T62/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=21WFJSCIWPZBT&coliid=IVA0A5VQ5O67U

From there, you will want to pick a receiver which has the connections you need. The Denon AVR-3313CI is on closeout at some places right now for a great price brand new. It only offers a couple of component video inputs, but allows you to send that to zone 2 instead of it being tied just to zone 1.

Keep in mind - No receiver will convert from HDMI to component video. It is considered illegal to do this, so you must connect via component for any sources you want on your old TV.

OR...

You get a solution which converts from HDMI to component aftermarket and use the HDMI output from the receiver for zone 2 and use it with your legacy TV. (HD Fury)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AV_Integrated;

Thanks for the thoughts. The 12V trigger is something I hadn't considered at all. I can see that it would literally only require a different (12VDC) relay in my system, with a 120VAC output.

Question; is the 12VDC on constantly, or is it pulsed only once briefly, then switched off? If it is switched on only for a split second, does your suggested hardware accept the 12v pulse, turn on my sub, then turn it off when I power down the receiver (assuming that another pulse is sent at power-down)? I guess what I'm really asking is, could you explain a bit about the 12V trigger signal?

I had a look at the item, and it looks like it would work, assuming I understand how it's switched on. That lead alone is worth the effort of posting on this forum, so thanks.

As far as outputs are concerned, I could get away with 1 set of HDMI out, plus one separate set of component outs, but this would change when my ancient TV dies. Then I would need 2 HDMI outs, unless modern flat screens still maintain the component inputs.

Thanks, and I'll keep hunting.

Tom.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Most TVs have component video connections, but new Blu-ray players and newer A/V devices are ditching component and even composite video connections in favor of HDMI. Moving forward you must have HDMI equipped gear to get what you want which is why the Denon I linked will give you exactly what you want short term and long term.

12v triggers:

The 12v trigger is an always on connection when it is activated. It can be used for any number of purposes, most common is to turn on an external amplifier, but using it to trigger a subwoofer is very common as well. Some subwoofers have a 12v trigger connection right on them to turn them on/off.

12v triggers can be customized, but generally, you will set trigger #1 to turn on when you turn the main zone on (the one with the subwoofer in it) and to turn off when the main zone turns off. When there is 12 volts supplied, then the relay is enabled on the Xantech piece I listed, and when the receiver is turned off, 12 volts goes away and the relay is turned off automatically. It works extremely well and gives you a modern solution to your gear.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent;

I appreciate the clarification on the 12V trigger.

In effect, I have already made a trigger, albeit a 120VAC one. This is what I've pugged into the switched outlet on the back of my amp. This powers a relay, which supplies my sub. I guess I could simply swap out the 120VAC relay with a 12VDC one, and it would be the same (as long as the output side of the relay can handle 250 + watts at 120 VAC).

If not, the device you showed me would work fine.

Cheers again, Tom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts