AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Recently i noticed how horrible my tv sounds. I got a 46" Panasonic, and was watching Star Trek on Blu-Ray and constantly had to adjust the volume every time it switched from action to dialogue scenes.

With that said...Im looking for a 5.1 system. I've been researching and have narrowed down the receiver to either a Denon 591 or 1611. (Just waiting to see if i can get a good deal this holiday weekend). The only difference is that the 1611 is 7.1. It's a $50 difference, so i rather go with the 1611 and get 2 extra speakers in the future.

What 5.1 speakers would you recommend for eithert receiver in the $400-$500 range? Im not looking for anything to make my house shake.

The other option would be to purchase the Denon 591BA HTIB which is $600 and comes with Boston Acoustics speakers, but I have not been able to find any info on the speakers. Also, the Denon 591 receiver by itself is $350, so i assume the speakers in the HTIB are $250. I read somewhere on the forums that i should spend 1/3 on the receiver and 2/3 on the speakers.

The room is 12x14 and Im sitting about 9' from the screen.

Thank you so much, and sorry for the length of this post

·
Registered
799 Posts
With that receiver I would suggest you look at the Polk audio line. They make fantastic easy to drive affordable speakers that sound fantastic. Polk has been around since 1972 and been doing a great job since.

I usually buy my speakers first then find the right amp to match.

Good luck with your speakers.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinho /forum/post/19546745

Hi everyone,

Recently i noticed how horrible my tv sounds. I got a 46" Panasonic, and was watching Star Trek on Blu-Ray and constantly had to adjust the volume every time it switched from action to dialogue scenes.

You poor poor poor person...........I too, just one short year ago, was telling my wife (fiancee at the time), "honey, my LCD speakers are crap, I can't stand baby sitting the remote between scenes".

Since then, Phillips DVD 5.1 HTIB (total crap), returned it after two weeks and got a blu-ray player with the money. Got an Onkyo 135watt receiver with 7.1 Onkyo speakers. Got a second sub (Energy). Got a second blu-ray player. Upgraded 42" LCD to 60" Plasma. Right now, upgrading speaker system to PolkAudio Monitor series: 30, CS2 and 70's. I can't keep my eyes off the Bowers and Wilkens CM series. I keep wondering what an overhead projector and large screen would be like instead of my flat panel. I contemplate dedicating a sole home theater in my home complete with seating and concession stand, framed posters and "official" theater lighting

and it all started because my flat panel speakers were crap.........

Good luck and good hunting my friend.

·
Registered
19,817 Posts

·
Registered
4,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy /forum/post/19546988

Have you checked out an Onkyo HTS-7300 7.1 system?

For the price range, this system is awesome. I have the SKS-HT870 7.1 system which is the same speaker system that comes with the 7300.

Some or many will disagree mainly because the surrounds only have a single driver and no tweeter but the timbre is well matched between the speakers. I've been really pleased with it as my bedroom set up for this last year but now taking advantage of the sound from the PolkAudios.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your recommendations. Theres a Polk Audio TL1600 Speaker System for $400 and I also found an Energy 5.1 Take Classic on Amazon for the same price. Any thoughts on it?

·
Registered
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinho /forum/post/19546745

Hi everyone,

Was your problem that the action scenes were too loud and the dialog too quiet?

If so an external speaker system is most likely just going to make that worse. Movies have a large dynamic range, the difference between the quietest and loudest parts of the movie. Better speakers will be able to reproduce this much better than your TV speakers can. The solution to this 'issue' is to enable dynamic range compression, most TVs call this 'night mode' or something like that.

·
Registered
19,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinho /forum/post/19547274

Thank you all for your recommendations. Theres a Polk Audio TL1600 Speaker System for $400 and I also found an Energy 5.1 Take Classic on Amazon for the same price. Any thoughts on it?

The woofers are small in those speakers - If you can get sats that

play lower, then it would be better.

Go to www.emptek.com and click on Holiday Season. Then, look

at the Package 1 system and the other ones also.

·
Registered
239 Posts
try newegg for polks. You can do Monitor 50, cs1, and monitor 30s for about $310. Then you can get a Bic F12 for about $200, or spend a little more and get the Bic PL200 for $270. This will sound better han any HTIB package.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again everyone. I'm going to check out those sites asap.

Xianthax, that's the problem I'm having. Thanks for that suggestion. I will look on my tv to see if there is a mode like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
biz64, I'm probably going with those polks you recommended. But is there an alternative to the monitor50? I rather have bookshelf speakers in the front, but ill get the 50s if they're better. Also, which speakers would I get to make it 7.1?

Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinho /forum/post/19548923

biz64, I'm probably going with those polks you recommended. But is there an alternative to the monitor50? I rather have bookshelf speakers in the front, but ill get the 50s if they're better. Also, which speakers would I get to make it 7.1?

Thanks

yeah, the Monitor 40s are basically the M50s but in a bookshelf. You can get another set of the M30s to make it 7.1. I think the M40s are even a few $ cheaper than the M50s, now you can use the extra $ saved towards upgrading your sub

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I'm too late for the m30, they're out of stock at newegg. Another question, the cs1 is $65 and there is the cs10 for $79. Is it worth buying the cs10? I don't mind the extra $15

·
Registered
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinho /forum/post/19548923

Thanks

I at first wanted bookshelf's for the front speakers for my system, but also need stands for the bookshelf speakers, so why spend money on bookshelf/stands when you can get towers for the same money.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinho /forum/post/19549870

Thanks, I'm too late for the m30, they're out of stock at newegg. Another question, the cs1 is $65 and there is the cs10 for $79. Is it worth buying the cs10? I don't mind the extra $15

Nah, as far as I know its basically a newer version of the cs1 but really identical so not worth the extra $. They have the M30s for that price every couple weeks or so. Sign up for their email blast, they will email you special offers on the speakers almost weekly. The M30s were out when I wanted them, then about 10 days later got them for the sale price again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
By the way, I prefer the cherry finish over the black. Looks much nicer in my opinion, but thats just me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts