Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well I am looking for a single remote to do all of my work and thought maybe you folks could give me a suggestion or two.

Here the equipment rundown.

Toshiba 50" HDTV 50H82

Motorola DCT2000 digi cable box

Zenth HDV420 HDTV OTA reciever

JBL DCR600 audio reciever

JBL DVD 600 DVD player

An example of one of my macro would be to

1. Switch TV to correct input

2. Turn audio reciever to correct input

3. End up on the digi box to change channels

So here are a few quick questions concerning this

I wouldn't need to turn the power on to the digi box, b/c it is left on ( for the clock feature ) could I end up on the digi box and not have to power it up, just be able to control the channels?

I can't adjust the volume of the reciever unless I am in the "main" mode, could I toggle back and forth b/w this mode of say digi box and video 2 on my audio reciever ( which is the digi box )?

Sorry if the questions seems vague, the remote battleships are a bit new to me!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Most universal remotes can do the things you want to do. The questions you must answer for yourself first are:

1. How much do you want to spend?

2. Do you prefer a touchscreen remote or an all-button remote?

3. Do you want a remote that can be programmed on a PC?

Your answers would help steer you in the right direction. ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Upto 200 or so

2. A touch screen would be cool, but not required

3. I have no idea about the computer programming, I have never even heard of that. Is it easier?

I don't mind spening the extra money if the remote will be more user friendly, I am already dreading programming the thing!

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
For a little over $100, the Home Theater Master MX-500 is your best choice. For a touchscreen, consider a refurb Philips Pronto TS1000 for under $100, or a refurb TSU2000 for just under $200. The new TSU3000 is well over your $200 limit, but would be next on my recommendation list. The Prontos are all computer programmable, but are also more work to program than an MX-500 if that's a concern.

You can read reviews and get information on all of these remotes and more on www.remotecentral.com.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, the mx-500 was my choice as well. They seem to be a popular choice.

I asked this a bit earlier, could you take a look at this question?

I can't adjust the volume of the reciever unless I am in the "main" mode, could I toggle back and forth b/w this mode of say digi box and video 2 on my audio reciever ( which is the digi box )?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Sorry, but I didn't understand the question exactly. Let me see if I've got this straight. Your receiver's remote only controls the volume if the receiver's in "Main" mode (whatever that is)? So, if you're in another mode, like to watch cable, you can't adjust the volume on the receiver? Are you looking to have a button on the "Cable" device of the MX-500 that will switch you back to "Main" so you can adjust the volume, then switch back to the "cable" input? It's very unusual, but you could do it with one of the LCD-labeled buttons, which can be anything you want them to be (as far as executing a single command is concerned). Is that what you're trying to do?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mroll,

Bingo, that is what I want/need to do. As mentioned, yes there is a "main" button on my reciever remote that I must press to adjust the volume when listening to any of the inputs...be it dvd or the aux inputs......I always must return to the main mode. This sounds like a pain but is really only a problem with the dvd.

I'm glad you could make heads or tails of that, I do appreciate your time :)

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
you should be able to do it. Is the receivers remote also a universal? If it is, and when you switch to DVD it controls the DVD then the answer is definetly yes. If not, it might be a limit on the receiver

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes,

The reciever remote also controls the DVD player. So sounds like I shouldn't have a problem then.

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok one more question, I have been reading about discreat coding and am totally lost on it. I seen recommendations to get a cheap rat shack remote or a irc clone. I am really at a lose as to what these do. Is this something else I am going to need?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discrete codes are used to do things that you would otherwise use a toggle button for. For example, when you press the POWER button for the first time, your device turns on, then when you press it again, your device turns off, etc. A discrete ON code would always turn the unit on, and if the unit is already on, it would leave it on. A discrete OFF code would always turn the unit off, etc.

Another example of discrete codes are input selects. You may well have a button on your remote called INPUT which will toggle through all the inputs on your receiver. Discrete input codes would select the desired input with one button press (eg, DVD, CD, TUNER, etc).

Many devices support discrete input and/or power codes, even though the device's original remotes doesn't have buttons that send these signals. When this is the case, you would need a way of generating the signals if you want to use them in your universal remote. The most common way of generating such signals is by using Radio Shack or One For All brand universal remotes, as these support a concept called "advanced codes".

In fact, if you are going to get such a remote anyway, you might want to see if one of those remotes would serve your purposes anyway. These are PC programmable via a home-grown process called JP1. A JP1 cable will cost about $18, and a JP1 compatible remote will cost you anywhere from $15 up to $99, with the best ones being about $30.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The discrete codes come in to play mainly for macros. Macros don't work well with commands that are toggles or cycles, since then the result depends on the previous state of the system. (Macro might switch fine from "watch HDTV" to "watch DVD", but not work from "watch VCR" to "watch DVD").

If your TV and receiver remotes already have buttons that say "switch directly to input X", then you wouldn't need anything else. But if the TV or receiver only have "cycle input" on the remote, moving sequentially between inputs rather than jumping direct to a particular input, sometimes with the cheap Radio Shack/OFA/other "JP1" remotes you can find a command for direct input selection. You then teach this command to the MX-500 and can use it in macros.

Discrete "power on" and "power off" can also be useful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.