AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am deciding between the Harman/Kardon AVR-7200 or the Outlaw Audio Model 950/7100 combo. My main interests are in great sound for my dvd movies and the abiltiy to upgrade without buying a new receiver. I was told that seperates are the only way to go but i am a novice and dont want something very complicated. i want something that i can set and forget about. Please help.

Also, I am also looking at the Integra DTR-8.4. Is this a good choice also?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone? please i have listened to them and i love them all but I need your opinions on the matter. I really dont want to make the wrong choice so , any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Toastermax - I don't think separates are complicated at all. It just seems that way to newbies. If you can plug in your DVD player to your receiver, than you can do it. All it is is taking an output from your Receiver to an input in your amp. You then hook your speakers up to your amp. I do not know your budget, but I currently have an HK520 and an HK PA2000. The Amp I use to drive my mains. I originally bought the amp for 7 channel, but unless the DVD is DTS-ES, I do not get 7 channel.

In the future, I will upgrade, probably to an Anthem Processor with Bryston Amps. The speakers plug into the Amp(s), the Antherm Process 'out's into the the Bryston Amps. It is very simple - do not let that so called 'complexity' dissuade you in your purchase.

The best part is if you receiver ever does come obsolete, you only need replace it - albeit the Anthem is not cheap. However, the AVM20 has been out for 2 years now, unlike HK and others that produce a NEW model every 8 to 14 months. Anthem and other companies just give you 'free' updates to upgrade your receiver's software to the latest sound (DD EX, DTS ES, etc.). This way your receiver & amps will hold on their value a lot longer.

The Bryston Amps for instance are hand made and come with a 20 year warranty. So if you need to sell them in the future, whether for an upgrade or because of some kind of emergency you will get a lot more for it percentage wise. As another example, my HK520 is only 2 years old, and it has already been replaced by the HK 525, which has been replaced by the HK630 - that is ridiculous. My HK520 is now probably worth about 20% of what I originally paid for it - that's worse than an automobile. If I had purchase the Anthem and separates two years ago, I'm sure I could get 75% of the cost for the Anthem.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Either of your choices will give you good sound with DVDs if set up properly with good speakers. I don't think either can be upgraded, however.

If you get one of the newest receivers with DPLIIx and full preouts you are pretty well set for a long time to come IMO. That way you can use the receiver's amps now and then add a separate amp for greater power and impact when you can afford it. The H/K AVR430 or 630 both have good amps and would do nicely and both are supposed to get DPLIIx as a software upgrade in about a month or so. I don't know if or when Outlaw will get DPLIIx, and I did not like their processor, but they make pretty good power amps.

Dsmith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.