AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hope you and your dad stay safe. Was the right thing to do.

You could have Tommy drop ship the amp to Amir at ASR, and have him, in turn ship it you when you’re back in LA. This way your amp is all measured and certified by the time you get it!
Hmmm not a bad idea...I would have to check if my 30 day in home trial will be affected? WIth all this going on, I had to shut down both of my busineses. I may have to hold on adding my side surrounds, so the cherry amp is likely not even needed now for quite a few months :(

But I still want to a/b with the krell anyways

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Wow! I am so glad I asked. Yes that is much more important. I sure hope you and your dad are doing well. Good thing on the food too. Slowly we are able to get things now. At first it was a mess. Stay safe everyone. And keep us updated if you ship the amp to ASR. I would sure be glued to the review. As I own two of these amps.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
No, I don't LOL. I was just curious as I could cut down to one amp, not have a channel wasted, and save a ton of space while getting more power. But it was just something I was curious about. Wondering about their sound signature and overall quality in general. Seem to be enjoyed by most

I don't use mine for gaming, but I do for music and HT - it's fantastic. Of course you don't need ridiculous amounts of power, but that's just typical of class D topology, while using less power from your wall. :) The things are built like tanks, but don't weigh as much as tanks, also characteristic of class D. High quality. Run cooler too, so while I'd give any amp some breathing room, these amps do better in more restricted spaces. You will unfortunately not be able to roast marshmallows over it. :eek: I would happily put mine up against amps far more expensive than this one. Dennis, the owner of D-Sonic, is also a pleasure to work with.

Reactions: shivaji

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I don't use mine for gaming, but I do for music and HT - it's fantastic. Of course you don't need ridiculous amounts of power, but that's just typical of class D topology, while using less power from your wall. :) The things are built like tanks, but don't weigh as much as tanks, also characteristic of class D. High quality. Run cooler too, so while I'd give any amp some breathing room, these amps do better in more restricted spaces. You will unfortunately not be able to roast marshmallows over it. :eek: I would happily put mine up against amps far more expensive than this one. Dennis, the owner of D-Sonic, is also a pleasure to work with.
Yeah, the idea of going to one amp, with one power cord, and tons more power is interesting...nevermind the face that all 7 speakers will be matched w/ same amp. Thanks for in the input

Reactions: shivaji

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,746 Posts
No, I don't LOL. I was just curious as I could cut down to one amp, not have a channel wasted, and save a ton of space while getting more power. But it was just something I was curious about. Wondering about their sound signature and overall quality in general. Seem to be enjoyed by most
As far as I know, they are a well designed amp, so there isn't a sound signature. Having a sound signature implies a poor quality, low fidelity design that introduces distortion or a poor frequency response. That amp should simply amplify the signal, not alter it.

I do believe that fairly detailed measurements of the amp modules used are available on the D-sonic website.

Another viable alternative imo are the Hypex NC500 based amps from Nord Acoustics. Similar power with, AFAIK, lower distortion, although either amp is going to be sonically transparent with noise and distortion below the threshold of human hearing, and a flat frequency response. You will only hear your speakers.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
As far as I know, they are a well designed amp, so there isn't a sound signature. Having a sound signature implies a poor quality, low fidelity design that introduces distortion or a poor frequency response. That amp should simply amplify the signal, not alter it.

I do believe that fairly detailed measurements of the amp modules used are available on the D-sonic website.

Another viable alternative imo are the Hypex NC500 based amps from Nord Acoustics. Similar power with, AFAIK, lower distortion, although either amp is going to be sonically transparent with noise and distortion below the threshold of human hearing, and a flat frequency response. You will only hear your speakers.
Yeah, I've been very intersted in Nord as well - and emailed back and forth w/ the owner. I'm going to wait until I'm back in LA and try the cherry out....then see if I feel its lacking anything. I have a feeling it will work just perfectly. JTRs are so HE, I don't think I'll need all those watts

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
ATI amps vs. Krell

I'm finally going to 7.1, so I'v been searching or another amp for a few weeks. I wanted to stick w/ one unit, so I've been searching for a 7 channel. Currently using a Krell 5200 for all JTR speakers. I love it, getting 360rms into 4ohms. Sounds great, their 7200 is apparently plaugued w/ issues. And...I get bored and try to switch it up sometimes.

I came across an ATI 6007 amp. Specs look pretty amazing - was curious if anybody has knowledge/experience w/ one (or both) of these amps? The numbers look pretty great, and I could get all channels covered w/out adding a secondary amp, which is what I'm planning on doing for now. I am mainly HT/gaming, but I do love music. I usually listen about -20 or -18 MV, but will crank it when my connected neighbors leave.

I'm not really looking for input/recs for other amps - I just want to know opinions on the 6007. AND, I'm ill notice any sonic difference/benefits to using it versus the Krell.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm finally going to 7.1, so I'v been searching or another amp for a few weeks. I wanted to stick w/ one unit, so I've been searching for a 7 channel. Currently using a Krell 5200 for all JTR speakers. I love it, getting 360rms into 4ohms. Sounds great, their 7200 is apparently plaugued w/ issues. And...I get bored and try to switch it up sometimes.

I came across an ATI 6007 amp. Specs look pretty amazing - was curious if anybody has knowledge/experience w/ one (or both) of these amps? The numbers look pretty great, and I could get all channels covered w/out adding a secondary amp, which is what I'm planning on doing for now. I am mainly HT/gaming, but I do love music. I usually listen about -20 or -18 MV, but will crank it when my connected neighbors leave.

I'm not really looking for input/recs for other amps - I just want to know opinions on the 6007. AND, I'm ill notice any sonic difference/benefits to using it versus the Krell.

Thanks guys!
I just sold a ATI 6005 (5 channel version) after having it a couple years. I change up equipment frequently so don't think there's a reason behind it. I just like to try new stuff. LOL. I'll say this, they hold their value, as I sold it in two days. And got good money out of it. It went to Taiwan. That amp loves being turned up, its a shame your just going to be idling it. And -20 is an idle. I played mine above reference a lot. They are solid as a rock, and weigh like a tank. Hope you have a permanent place for it, it's not mover friendly. Contact Steve H on here (or [email protected]) as he is THE man for pricing on the ATI products. I don't know if he sells Krell or not, but he will save you money and hes a authorized dealer.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I just sold a ATI 6005 (5 channel version) after having it a couple years. I change up equipment frequently so don't think there's a reason behind it. I just like to try new stuff. LOL. I'll say this, they hold their value, as I sold it in two days. And got good money out of it. It went to Taiwan. That amp loves being turned up, its a shame your just going to be idling it. And -20 is an idle. I played mine above reference a lot. They are solid as a rock, and weigh like a tank. Hope you have a permanent place for it, it's not mover friendly. Contact Steve H on here (or [email protected]) as he is THE man for pricing on the ATI products. I don't know if he sells Krell or not, but he will save you money and hes a authorized dealer.
well I guess my question is - whats your opinion of it? very good? as good as the reviews state? i need the extra channels, and could go a much cheaper route..but im coming from a great amp and want all in one solution. thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts

how do you like the legacy amp? Is that the direct successor after your ATI?

·
Registered
385 Posts
well I guess my question is - whats your opinion of it? very good? as good as the reviews state? i need the extra channels, and could go a much cheaper route..but im coming from a great amp and want all in one solution. thanks!
In my opinion, I would go with their ATI 4007. Let me explain. I had a Outlaw 7500 . It is made by ATI, looks like a 4007 and I think it's pretty much a twin. At the least, it is very similar. I updated from a Outlaw 7500 ( @ 200 watts per) to a ATI 6005 because I wanted the extra 100 watts. I like headroom because I USE my amps. You idle yours. I doubt you will be able to tell the difference between the 4007 and the 6007. I think the 6007 will work really well for you, but its like buying a new Corvette and driving only from streetlight to streetlight. Sound wise, I found it to be neutral/warmish. Certainly not bright, but not warm and mellow either. Impact was great, really solid sounding and made the speakers sing. It did have a real slight buzz coming from insde the chassis. It wasn't bad enough for me to send back. In fact, my wife could never hear it and I had her standing right up against it. In a rack it would have been indistinguishable, but mine is on an open shelf. And in all honesty, it was probably coming from my 120 current, but who knows, the speakers were dead silent.

·
Registered
385 Posts
how do you like the legacy amp? Is that the direct successor after your ATI?
Good Lord man, you had to ask didn't you. LOL The IV*5 (soon to be converted to a 7) is absolutely amazing. It is soooo silent. Not just in the absolute silence of the unit itself, but the noise floor, like in quiet parts of a movie, are REALLY noticeable. The first movie we fired up, during the intro of Dolby advertising the EQ, made my wife and myself just immediately look from the screen to each other with me proclaiming " wow, that was different". The explosions/crackles/breaking glass during that into reached out and grabbed ya. And this is coming from a 300 watt amp ! I haven't really had it cranked on my music videos yet, as Sue and I are trapped in this house together, and 105 db. only goes so far with her. I'll have to wait a while on that. But I think its going to be quite impressive. The temperature never moves from slightly warm. I think these class D amps are going to change amps forever. I know from seeing how their built that not all class D's are alike, but this one is impressive

Reactions: madhuski

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
In my opinion, I would go with their ATI 4007. Let me explain. I had a Outlaw 7500 . It is made by ATI, looks like a 4007 and I think it's pretty much a twin. At the least, it is very similar. I updated from a Outlaw 7500 ( @ 200 watts per) to a ATI 6005 because I wanted the extra 100 watts. I like headroom because I USE my amps. You idle yours. I doubt you will be able to tell the difference between the 4007 and the 6007. I think the 6007 will work really well for you, but its like buying a new Corvette and driving only from streetlight to streetlight. Sound wise, I found it to be neutral/warmish. Certainly not bright, but not warm and mellow either. Impact was great, really solid sounding and made the speakers sing. It did have a real slight buzz coming from insde the chassis. It wasn't bad enough for me to send back. In fact, my wife could never hear it and I had her standing right up against it. In a rack it would have been indistinguishable, but mine is on an open shelf. And in all honesty, it was probably coming from my 120 current, but who knows, the speakers were dead silent.
Sweet, nice answer haha. I will say, when my neighbors leave, I really let it rip. And I'm in heaven. I will be moving in a year or less, and will have a dedicated room, 7.2.4, all JTR. So, I figure its worth it to spend a little extra now on a 6xxx versus 4xxx if that makes sense?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Ethos4Lyfe,

I have Classe' amps currently.
I am having Atmos system installed and going with the ATI 6-Channel Amp once this Virus thing gets under control..
I read a lot about them and they are 1st Class for sure as my current Classe' amps.

ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp

Terry

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Good Lord man, you had to ask didn't you. LOL The IV*5 (soon to be converted to a 7) is absolutely amazing. It is soooo silent. Not just in the absolute silence of the unit itself, but the noise floor, like in quiet parts of a movie, are REALLY noticeable. The first movie we fired up, during the intro of Dolby advertising the EQ, made my wife and myself just immediately look from the screen to each other with me proclaiming " wow, that was different". The explosions/crackles/breaking glass during that into reached out and grabbed ya. And this is coming from a 300 watt amp ! I haven't really had it cranked on my music videos yet, as Sue and I are trapped in this house together, and 105 db. only goes so far with her. I'll have to wait a while on that. But I think its going to be quite impressive. The temperature never moves from slightly warm. I think these class D amps are going to change amps forever. I know from seeing how their built that not all class D's are alike, but this one is impressive
Nice - I almost decided to go class d, but havent heard one. Well, I have 2 channel D-SOnic coming to try w/ my LR. There are so many good CLass D amps out there, they seem pretty amazing. I'm gonna look yours up too!

Reactions: Jonas2

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
You do realize that you're using at most 15W/c at Reference SPL, right?

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Yes - I just have a really nice amp and don't want to take a step back. I'm not necessarily looking for sonic improvements, I'm looking for all channels in one amp.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
How can you make this statement.?
You have no information on his system in regards to seating distance from speakers, accustic and so on...
In today's AV rooms a solid 200-300 is a minimum.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts