AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a laptop without a optical drive and I wanted to put some movies on it. One of my favorites is Blade Runner so I used DVD Decrypter and Handbrake to get the DVD converted to .mp4, but I forgot how crappy the DVD looked.

So I connected the XBox HD-DVD drive up and used AnyDVD and mkvmerge to get a 17gb .mkv with TRUE-HD sound. This file plays in VLC so I must be doing something right. Ideally I would like to shrink this down to a 720P file that will play natively in Media Player 12, extra bonus if it will play back ok with a 1.3ghz Core2 using Intel HD4500 graphics. I can switch in nVidia graphics if I have to, but it will suck the battery down.

Sorry for the newbie questions, I just used DVD Decrypter a couple days ago and it has seemed like a uphill battle since then.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
There was a software thread posted a while back for something that would do exactly what you want for Blu-ray but I'm not sure if it works on HD DVD. I think it was called BD Rebuilder. (I wasn't interested in transcoding and losing quality so I didn't keep up with it, sorry.)

·
Registered
274 Posts
There are many ways to do this. One way of doing it is use ClownBD to convert your HDDVD to Bluray structure. Then use BDRebuilder to compress the movie down to 720p and choose whatever size you want (normally to fit a DVD). In the Workfiles folder there are seperate video (.264) and audio (AC3) files so you can put them together into a mkv file with mkvmerge. You can add the chapter file from ClownBD too. For converting Bluray you just skip the ClownBD step. Should be easy but takes time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts