AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I really need help setting this up...

What I'm trying to do is go from my computer> presonus firepod . tube poweramp>speakers

I want to be able to listen to music with this setup and not have to have a dedicated sound card.

What is the best way to connect my computer to the firepod? Spdif? Firewire?

If I use spdif do I still have to have the firepod connected to computer with firewire as well?

Then where do I go from the firepod to connect to my poweramp. All I have on the poweramp are a white and red connector and then right and red connectors that go to each speaker.

The firepod has 2 preamp outs, 8 line outputs (trs), 2 main CR outputs and 2 Cue mix line outs.

How can I connect this?

also there is a picture of my poweramp

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Did you see the connection diagram on P. 19 of the manual?
Quote:
What is the best way to connect my computer to the firepod? Spdif? Firewire?

If I use spdif do I still have to have the firepod connected to computer with firewire as well?
Probably want firewire. Looks like the SPDIF is for a keyboard.
Quote:
Then where do I go from the firepod to connect to my poweramp. All I have on the poweramp are a white and red connector and then right and red connectors that go to each speaker.
If you want the Main volume knob on the Firepod's front panel to control your volume, use the Main CR output jacks on the rear panel. You'll need some RCA to 1/4 cables to connect between those jacks and your amp.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! OK so i got it connected and it is working but there seems to be some clipping?

my computer >firepod>Main cr outs>Tube poweramp!

Using this for music

I would like to know is what to set levels to and how to check for clipping because sometimes I seem to be hearing some popping..

Windows volume level?

Firepod mixer level and main level?

·
Registered
13 Posts
What application are you playing music from?

You will have the option of turning down the output there and on your Presonus.

Since you are only sending music out, your gain staging will be much easier as it's all based on line level till you get to your amp.

Therefore, if your hearing clipping it would most likely have to be in the music recording itself as windows doesn't boost above 0. So unless your adding level boost somewhere along the line, and you'd probably know it if you were, I think the clipping is much more likely dropouts due to digital degradation. Could be low buffer or bad digital connection/configuration. Up the buffer/latency in the interface's configurations.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeksound /forum/post/19639384

What application are you playing music from?

You will have the option of turning down the output there and on your Presonus.

Since you are only sending music out, your gain staging will be much easier as it's all based on line level till you get to your amp.

Therefore, if your hearing clipping it would most likely have to be in the music recording itself as windows doesn't boost above 0. So unless your adding level boost somewhere along the line, and you'd probably know it if you were, I think the clipping is much more likely dropouts due to digital degradation. Could be low buffer or bad digital connection/configuration. Up the buffer/latency in the interface's configurations.

ok well the poweramp does not have a volume control so it is all set with the computer and firepod. I do have a preamp that normally goes with the poweramp but I am just using the firepod in its place. So I have my computer volume at max and I reinstalled the drivers for the firepod but I am still getting popping. I have tried 2ms latency as well as 40 (highest)! The sample rate is set at 44.1.

My computer is very good so I don't understand what is going on :/

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I’d say look at the amp. It could be that the computer/Presonus combination is clipping the amp’s inputs. Also, we have no idea if the amp has enough power to drive the speakers you’re using.

I’d say try it with a different amp and see what that gets you.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
13 Posts
What Wayne said. Lol. If that doesn't work I'd say try to replace each piece of your signal chain one at a time and see what fixes it. If it is digital pops and clips it could be several things including driver or port issues. Hope you get it worked out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.