AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright the time is coming soon for me to purchase my new projector and I know you're all the right people to help me make the decision. Here are my priorities listed in order:

1.) Watching 2.35:1 movies (and occasional 1.85:1, etc.)

2.) Watching 16 x 9 HDTV content

3.) Watching 4 x 3 content

Having previously owned a Stewart Electric screen in 16:9 format, I am VERY interested in going 2.35:1 with my new screen ratio. However, I'm not sure what the best value in scalers is, that will scale 1.78:1, 1.85:1, and 1.33:1 into a 2.35:1 screen (if I commit to doing to so).

Most of what I watched on my old DLP projector was 2.35:1 content, and frankly I want that stuff to dominate the width of my viewing wall.

So I have read reviews of both the NEC HT100 and the BenQ PE7700. I'm torn because both seem excellent. The NEC will save me $1000, and provide a better contrast ratio...which are good things. However, once I attach an anamorphic lens to that sucker, what happens to 4:3 content? Is there a scaler that will take incoming 4:3 material, tack on black bars left and right, upscale it to an anamorphic format, then pass that on to the projector so that it can do it's thing with the lens and everything looks right?

I'm guessing the scaler required to do that would easily cost me the $1000 difference between these projectors. So I'm back to square one...any suggestions on which one to choose, given my 2.35:1 love affair?

A friend of mine (ElvisIncognito) had made an empassioned plea for me to consider a 4:3 CRT instead of either of these digital models. He made several strong cases for that consideration, but ultimately, I don't think I'll have the physical space to accomodate the CRT projector and a hush box to surround it since this is a basement installation with low ceilings.

Thanks,

Kurt

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to mark my calendar. This must be the first time I've posted something on the AVS Forum and gone two days without a single response.

If I had simply mentioned that Circle Surround still sounds good, I'd have a dozen flame replies by this time. :)

Surely someone has an opinion on this, or maybe it belongs in the constant height area?

·
Registered
597 Posts
There are plenty of 2.35:1 heads around. I'm not one of them. Possibly check the screen forum also. Keep this thread alive.

All I know is you'll probably need a scaler $$$ and anamorphic lens $$$$ in addition to the PJ. Duh

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I would recommend posting on the 2.35 Screen Forum. You will need something to perform the vertical stretch for 2.35 material, either an external scaler, HTPC, or many projectors will perform this stretch now. Then you will need either a horizontal or vertical anamorphic lens depending on your throw distance availability. Oh yeah, and you will need to build a 2.35 screen. I am currently looking at Prismasonic's new horizontal lenses for my Z2 at a 13ft throw distance and a 51" x 120" 2.35 DIY screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.