AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my search down to a 42" Panasonic EDTV plasma set. I am pretty sold on either the 42pwd7uy or the new 8UK version :) Before I pull the trigger though I would sure appreciate any input... Here's more about me and our use for the set (not in any particular order)...

1. I want black not silver

2. an EDTV set is going to be fine for us

3. I do not think I will have cable or satellite so I may need a set with a tuner built in for OTA or at least that option

4. speaker built in would be nice until I can get something else worked out or if I keep it a bedroom unit I would just use built in. the 8uk appears to have pc audio in so it seems it has speakers? does it?

5. We watch most of our TV viewing on a sony laptop! We watch our tv off of 350mb hdtv.ws or pdtv rips. I really want a TV that I can plug this laptop into and have full screen beauty.

6. I have owned a rptv crt set for a year and a half and am always worrying about burn in. will I have to do the same with a plasma tv?

7. Does they 7uy or 8uk come with a stand or wall mount or will I need to purchase sepately?

8. What is "BNC"? is that the "slots" type board inputs?

9. What inputs are standard on the set? component, composite and a VGA?

Is the 7uy or 8uk the set for me? or can you recommend another panasonic EDTV that would better suit us? sorry for all of the questions :(

thanks so much for a very friendly board!

·
Registered
119 Posts
First, you may not be able to get a 7UY anymore. When Panasonic releases a new version, they discontinue the old ones. Unless there is a retailer that actually keeps an inventory and still has a few left.

To your other questions

3. The commercial models do not have tuners. You will need a VCR, DVD recorder or cable box to get TV reception. I use my cable into a dvd recorder.

4. You can buy add on speakers, but they are not standard. The unit does have a stereo amp, but you need to add the speakers. Bookshelf speakers work fine.

5. I have never used my plasma with a PC.

6. Burn in is a concern, yes, but with proper break-in and avoiding logos and side-bars and static text it should not be an issue. See the Master Burn-In thread for more information.

7. Stand or wall mount are extra.

8. BNC is the type of the connectors. They have slots and pins that lock together. You can buy BNC/RCA adapters at Radio Shack and just use RCA cables.

9. The standard inputs are component, composite/s-video (same input), and VGA which doubles as a second component. You can by terminal boards for DVI and HDMI and BNC or RCA component for the empty slot.

See Bruzzi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ for more information than you want to know about Panasonic Plasmas ;)

If you really need a tuner and built-in speakers, you may want to consider the consumer model. I think it is the 42PD50. Unfortunately, it is all silver. :(

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, no silver! ugh. lol

thanks mike for the reply :)

I have bookshelf speakers already so the audio tuner will be enough. But I don't think I will be paying mr. cable co. or mr. satellite co. each month so I really need to decide if I want OTA in the bedroom or not... of course I had forgotten that an old VCR will do the trick. but will that in fact work with OTA HD broadcasts? If I buy an OTA HD antenna can I just run it through a VCR -> plasma and get the HD broadcast? or will the VCR only do standard broadcasts?

others please feel free to help out here too with your suggestions as to what you would do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uh oh. I think the philips 42pf9630a may have just entered the race along with the 500u panny.... decisions, decisions

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuki
... of course I had forgotten that an old VCR will do the trick. but will that in fact work with OTA HD broadcasts? If I buy an OTA HD antenna can I just run it through a VCR -> plasma and get the HD broadcast? or will the VCR only do standard broadcasts?...
The VCR tuner only receives standard analog signals. For HD, you need an ATSC (digital) tuner, either built-in or STB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Panasonic model you reference. It is a monitor only and does not have a tuner or come with any speakers. You will need a tuner or receiver of some type. It does not come with a stand or mount. It has worked well. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can anyone recommend a tilt mount that would work w/ the 37" UK that would allow left-to-right and vertical tilt adjustment? Maybe a vendor who carries said mount? Thanks for helping a noob!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.