AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my TX-NR803 due to a surge taking it out during a storm earlier this year. I've narrowed my replacement down to a refurbished TX-NR808 and the TX-NR609.

From what I can tell, the 808 has been a problem child... how do you guys feel about the "fix" that Onkyo has made. Are the issues fixable, and likely to have been fixed on the refurbished units?

As a side issue, I'm feeding this receiver to a Panny TH-50PH9UK via component cables. My sources are a DirecTV HR24 DVR, a Pannasonic BluRay Player, and a Wii.

I'm thinking of upgrading to an HDMI input on the display if I can find the card, but it will only support 1080i. Will I have compatibility issues with my lack of a 1080p display?

I wandered around a store that sells the 609 yesterday, and I'm not crazy about the appearance of the current line, and there's a little bit of a pride issue going from an "8 series" to a "6 series" receiver - but I don't want to deal with a lemon either. Unfortunately the 809 is out of my price range... real estate isn't what it used to be

Which way would you go and why?

Thanks!

Heath

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
If it was me, I would skip on the 08 series. The 09 series doesn't get as hot as the ones before so that would give me more confidence in them. I would look at the 370 or the 709 if you are going Onkyo. The 609 has Audyssey 2eq which will not eq a subwoofer. The MutlEQ XT on the 370/709 will eq a subwoofer and also has higher resolution filters for the speakers. If you don't mind refurbished you can get a 709 for 530 at accessories4less.com. You can also check the owners thread to see where people are finding the best deals. This is just what I would do so if you feel comfortable with the fix on the 08 series then go for it but I would go with a 09 series myself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.