AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of setting up a small home theater system for my family room. I'm looking at the Pioneer VSX 1020, Pioneer Elite VSX-30 and Denon AVR-1911 A/V receivers. The problem is, they all look great. I'd appreciate any thoughts as to which way to go. The other equipment I'm looking at is:

TV- either a 58" Samsung plasma (PN58C550) or a 55" samsung LCD (LN55C630). I am favoring the plasma unit because of it's better off axis viewing capability and slightly larger screen size.

BluRay player- I am thinking about an LG BD 570, which has the internet capability I'm looking for. I'm willing to look at others, I'd like whichever one I choose to load fast.

Speakers- I've been looking at the Energy Take classic 5.1 system. It seems to get rave reviews, but I'd be interested in your ideas as to other options. I really am not all that interested in 7.1 sound because the room configuration just doesn't seem to justify it, but again, I'm willing to listen.

Thanks for your thoughts,

User99

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. as to the A/V Receiver anywhere from $350 to $450 or so. As to the speakers, I'd like to keep it under $500, but in either case, I'm willing to listen to suggestions. If spending a little more money would result in a lot better system, I might be willing to pop for it. My overall budget limit is $3000, but if I can do it for less, well I'm in favor of that too. Right now it looks like I'll be able to do the whole system for less than $2500.

In regard to the two Pioneer receivers, they did look to be quite similar, but the Pioneer elite receiver has a 2 year warranty whereas the 1020 only has a 1 year warranty.

One thing I need to mention, I'm a complete neophyte to this and really am looking for guidance. You may have heard the phrase "early adopter," well, I'm the opposite, I only get into new technologies after the third generation or so. The $500 microwave oven I bought in the '70s cured me of the desire to be one of the first to own the latest gizmo. The downside is that when I finally do decide to pull the trigger, I know nothing and have to expend much effort to get up to speed. Well, that's where I'm at right now, well down the power curve. All educational help is much appreciated.

Thanks again,

user99

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.