AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am deciding on which plasma to get. Its between a 60" or a 65". In the following layout, a sectional sofa will be in the upper left corner (where most of the viewing will take place). On the right side wall, there will be a day bed. Each square represents 1 sq foot. The distance from the sectional to the tv is about 11-12ft. The TV is on the wall at the bottom (there's a chair to the left of it). I really want to get the 65" but am afraid that it may be too big, and I will have to move my eyes around to grasp the whole scene in a movie. I want the tv to have a WOW effect, but not so much that I get tired watching a movie because I have to keep moving my head around to see the whole scene. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
For an 11-12 foot distance i would actually go with a 55", but most others would go with a 60" or even the 65". But it's really a matter of your own personal preference, just how some people like to sit in the front of a movie theater, while others like to sit halfway back or way in the back. Where do you like to sit at the movie theater?

Use some blue painters masking tape to tape off a mock-up of a 60" and also a 65" screen size on the wall and spend some time looking at the area.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I sit 9.5' from a 65" and it is feeling small now. It's not as big as you think, you won't be moving your head at all. I even feel the need to lean forward during 3D movies to enjoy them more.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Definitely go with the 65 inch. I am sitting 10 feet from a 58VT25 and i now wish it was the bigger 65 inch. You will get used to the size of the screen and you won't ever regret going bigger.

Your friends will hate you more also, which is fun too!

Nothing wrong with having a "statement" TV!

Mike

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Go with the 65 inch. I sit 8.5 to 9 ft from my 59 inch, but I could go a little bigger. Seems like every time I buy a TV it gets larger.....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I sit about the same distance from my 60" and it feels just right to me but you could def go 65" and it wouldn't be a problem. I had a 57" before this one so I am pretty used to the size but someone came over a few weeks ago and when I turned it on he said, "That is a damn big TV!" and I said, "Really?"

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
I sit about the same distance from my 60" and it feels just right to me but you could def go 65" and it wouldn't be a problem. I had a 57" before this one so I am pretty used to the size but someone came over a few weeks ago and when I turned it on he said, "That is a damn big TV!" and I said, "Really?"

Is amazing how when you first buy a 60 inch set and hang it up, you think how massive it is. Then 30 days later you think u should have gone bigger. You get used to the size pretty quickly.

So go for the largest you can afford. You really cant go wrong.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go with the 65 inch. I sit 8.5 to 9 ft from my 59 inch, but I could go a little bigger. Seems like every time I buy a TV it gets larger.....

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/20805167

I really want to get the 65" but am afraid that it may be too big, and I will have to move my eyes around to grasp the whole scene in a movie. I want the tv to have a WOW effect, but not so much that I get tired watching a movie because I have to keep moving my head around to see the whole scene. Any ideas? Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about that. I had the same thing my first HDTV. It took maybe a few weeks or months to get used to it coming from a small tube TV, but one TV later I don't even think about it. You may initially strobe with your eyes more taking in all the new detail, but your eyes will adjust to looking at the larger picture and then you'll appreciate the size and detail. If you're coming from a smaller flat panel (37"/42") rather than an old tube set, then I would put the "adjustment period" at under a week.

You should go as big as you can now (especially if this set is gonna be there a while) since you'll regret not going larger. Additionally, based on your configuration, you've got a bunch of people who'll need to be able to see. A larger set will make it easier for more people to see more comfortably.

·
Banned
992 Posts
So glad I got the biggest i could, a 65.

Bigger is always better in TV.

Just remember though, the bigger the plasma the more heat it puts out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B /forum/post/20811262

So glad I got the biggest i could, a 65.

Bigger is always better in TV.

Just remember though, the bigger the plasma the more heat it puts out.

And the more heat the TV puts out, the less money I spend to heat my house. Its a win win situation

Thanks for the advice everyone. A 65" it shall be!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 /forum/post/20812532

I went from a 56" DLP to a 59" Plasma..........Plasma is cool compared to my old DLP.

Agreed! I just upgraded from a 46" Sammy 720p DLP to a P55GT30. The heat emitted from the back of the DLP was like opening an oven. OK, it wasn't that hot but damn...

Great decision Singh007. Enjoy!

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/20812058

And the more heat the TV puts out, the less money I spend to heat my house. Its a win win situation

Maybe i should get a plasma to heat every room of my house then!
Good choice with 65 inch. You can't really lose, because you will get used to the size in a month. Some wives dont like them too big because they "overpower" the room, but i think they look sharp up on the wall with all the cables concealed!

Are you hanging it up?

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts