AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PreQuestion CMA: I'm new to this forum and I checked the HDTV FAQ and recent posts and I didn't see anything in regards to my question, but forgive me if the info is out there.

Scenario: I'm looking to buy an HDTV-ready television. Here's what I'd like:

* ~$1500

* I'd prefer 16:9, but I'm not opposed to 4:3 if 16:9 broadcasts just show up with letterbox

* Non-projection is preferred

* 32"-40" (I don't need a giant 60" TV to be happy)

Questions:

* I'm not actually planning on buying a HDTV receiver for a while, so should I hold off on buying the HDTV?

* Should I just buy a 36" "regular" TV and wait for HDTV prices to come down?

* I was thinking about getting RCA PROSCAN PS36800HR 36" for about $1500. Would that be a good idea?

If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JimboG:
...but you've stated a preference for direct view. Is ambient lighting a concern, or are you just intimidated by the upkeep and need to tweak on rear projection TVs?
We just bought a house where the previous owner built this really neat in-wall cabinet for their TV. This thing is easily 5 feet wide. We can either find a TV to go on top or we can take out the cabinets (which would be a shame--and a lot of work). Since it's not necessary for us to have a 40-50" TV, this is okay in our books. Yeah we don't get as big of a TV for the money, but it works with what we have.

If you do go with a direct view, make sure it can do horizontal compression for anamorphic/widescreen material. I apologize, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. Does "horizontal compression" mean that it can leterbox 16:9 broadcasts?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think the Toshiba 42" or last years 40" for $1500-1600 would be your best bet, but you've stated a preference for direct view. Is ambient lighting a concern, or are you just intimidated by the upkeep and need to tweak on rear projection TVs? It seems like you get a lot more screen area and resolution with one of the small Toshibas compared with a 32" or 36" direct view. If you do go with a direct view, make sure it can do horizontal compression for anamorphic/widescreen material.

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.